Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found these big guys on Whitsunday Island over the weekend

P1010755.jpg

P1010761.jpg

They're just ceramic dog bowls Bohdi. I got the exact same ones from Pet Barn I think but even Big W or Reject Shop sells them

Can't remember the price sorry. They aren't super cheap but they're worth it because they will never tip them over

Here's a pair of lighter phase Black Headed Monitors, been after some of these for ages think they are central Queensland locality? They are a much finer animal than my Central Australian ones

DSC_0629.jpgDSC_0631.jpgDSC_0628.jpgDSC_0626.jpg

My new mertens water monitor named stich. 5 months old and settled in no worries.

Attachments

• IMG_20120419_170941.jpg
    IMG_20120419_170941.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 195
Some gillens I got off Rob Porter, couldn't be happier :D
Sorry about the poor quality, these were taken with my iphone!

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0709.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Gillen's enclosure Jay, I saw another one on a different forum the other day that looked pretty plain & boring, no effort put into it at all, whereas yours looks fantastic.

SA Goannas, you're probably referring to my enclosure, I might let you know that just because some people do not like unnatural looking enclosures such as the above doesn't mean time and effort didn't go into my enclosure. The fact that it looks plain and boring to you is your aesthetic taste and enclosures like the one above look highly unnatural and don't suit my aesthetic taste at all.
As long as the enclosure provides what the animals need (jay I'm sure your monitors love their enclosure) and I believe mine does, I don't think the persons aesthetic tastes really matter.

P.s. My enclosure design is based on a number of enclosure designs I've gone through with the same monitor and how I've found he utilized these designs, I am still actively trying to change and improve the design and I do welcome and take in any criticism of it you'd like to make.

Last edited:
Just to add to this thread, here are the latest pics of my Lacies, plus one of the Juvie Spotteds. Also is a pic of a new enclosure I put together for Juvie or smaller species. This enclosure cost a total of $900 to build which is pretty reasonable when you think about what you pay commercially.

Your Monitors are gorgeous and love your enclosures, especially the pit, nice work :)

SA Goannas, you're probably referring to my enclosure, I might let you know that just because some people do not like unnatural looking enclosures such as the above doesn't mean time and effort didn't go into my enclosure. The fact that it looks plain and boring to you is your aesthetic taste and enclosures like the one above look highly unnatural and don't suit my aesthetic taste at all.
As long as the enclosure provides what the animals need (jay I'm sure your monitors love their enclosure) and I believe mine does, I don't think the persons aesthetic tastes really matter.

P.s. My enclosure design is based on a number of enclosure designs I've gone through with the same monitor and how I've found he utilized these designs, I am still actively trying to change and improve the design and I do welcome and take in any criticism of it you'd like to make.

Yeah it was your enclosure. I wasn't purely talking aesthetics, personally I'm not one for just making a pretty enclosure, functionality is more important. From memory you had no horizontal branches, a poor basking spot, you had a cage around your heat lamp & no tight spaces that your monitor could squeeze in to. If I was you I'd fill it with a heap of branches running top to bottom, side to side, some hollow logs suspended near the top, a good size basking spot & get rid of the cage around your lamp. The other Gillen's enclosure above, while looking more aesthetically appealing, is more importantly substantially more functional than yours as it makes better use of the available space. Please take this feedback the right way, it's as constructive as I can be & is meant that way :)

Would love to see some of your "functional" enclosures that you provide for your monitors, SA_Goannas - post some pics and show us all how it is done...

Latest posts

Back