Move to Mining??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! The more places I can send my resume off to the better my chances. May well just have to sneak in through the kitchen ;). Muchly appreciated!

If you want to work rig crew, try companies such as Ensign, Saxon energy, Weatherford.

Dont work there myself but my boy is a fifo for wa
gone for 28 days back for 9
Has to catch 2 planes a day
$10,400 a month
hes quitting cos relationship is hard
hope you dont have a family haha.

I nearly make that driving a semi trailer and I'm home every night, hardly seems worth all the crap to get into the mines.

I nearly make that driving a semi trailer and I'm home every night, hardly seems worth all the crap to get into the mines.
Agreed. My roster when on site is 10 days on 3 days off. Generally works out to approx $130-150k a year. Im just working as an electrical designer though. The engineers get paid heaps more than us. I'm in Perth most of the time though. And only go to site when I have too. I like my weekends at home.
Two weeks on two weeks off are better rosters if you are up there full time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know s few people in the Roxby mines.

One guy adores it, granted I don't think he cares as long as he's paid

And I know a long term couple...don't know how he feels, but I know she's ready to kill people lol...gave up her family and job to move with him and never sees him and downgraded her job.

Depends on your circumstances and the mental state of yourself and those around you I guess.

Last edited:
I work in the kitchen at a mining camp in the Bowen Basin. A few chefs have made the transition from the kitchen to mining, they tell me its a case of who you know.
You can do a bit of networking while working, find out who does the hiring, get some qualifications and inductions done and maybe get in that way. I was told there are approx 3000 resumes sent in for every apprentice/unskilled labour position.
Ran into an old acquaintance in town a couple of weeks ago. He got a job out there managing a pub, used that to get accommodation and then an unskilled position. He has now started an apprenticeship.
He swears you wont get a start without your own accommodation, and at an average price per house per week of $2000 you wont afford it without a job first.
The kitchen is not so bad. Money isn't fantastic for out here but its about 15 grand more than I was earning as a head chef in Brisbane and I'm only a **** kicker line chef. Two weeks on, one off, standard 12 hour days sometimes a little longer. Gym, pool, tennis court, soccer field, good people to work with.

I've been working as a underground coal miner for 8 years.I got a start by doing my generics and applying to every contract company which is where you are most likely to get a start.As stated alot of chefs try the transition from mine/camp kitchen to site but it all comes down to luck and who you know.depending on what you want to do the best bet is to complete your mine entry competencies and apply to contractors.There are companies that do entry level courses such as mastermyne and one in wa for trucks and such.In mackay there is places that do these entry level competencies. i work 7 on 7 off which is great.

Update to all that helped by posting before. I have been sending my resume off to companies who provide the catering side of things to the mines. Fingers crossed that something comes up! Cheers again for everyones advice and help :)

Money is no where near as good in the catering side of things but it gives you the opportunity to.

A. get an idea of the fly in fly out lifestyle.
B. get a foot in the door.
C. Networking (just meeting people in various industries can lead to opportunities).
D. Put your R&R to good use and use the time and extra money to get fork tickets, EWP, working at heights, dogmans, riggers, scaffolding, rope access, MR, MC truck licenses etc etc

One of the big benefits to fifo, providing you don't spend all your coin in the wet mess is the fact that your not paying for any living expenses, fuel, food, electricity etc. these are big daily costs and a huge saving thats often overlooked.

Hey, have you considered getting into the mines using your kitchen experience. The boys have gotta eat, then once your in, moving horizontally into the drilling or labouring side of things, if that where you want to take it. Good luck.

was my 1st thoughts as well logical kiwis lol

I moved from Gippsland to my area last year,got the first job i could which was cleaning schools. I hated it,what i found in bins there make me fear for my own daughter in high school. I never gave up my dream of getting into aged care,and even thou a friend from high school has a high position in my current workplace,i didnt let her know i was applying for a job there. I called every week asking about a job there,until the head boss probably got sick of the calls and gave me a chance lol. I went from casual work,to permanent part time work within 6mths,and i love it. 3 shifts a week does me fine.

If mining is what you want to do,dont give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back