big snake substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok so im curious as to what people use/recommend for substrate for larger snakes in large enclosures (8ft) as i would assume they would just rearrange the newspaper.

cheers

the tank im looking to suite is pretty big its 8x2.5 ft so a decent area and astro turf is pretty pricey also it has fixed logs supported from underneath so i cant just use a roll of it. it would have to be shapped.

Newspaper's fine, they can mess it up a little bit but it depends on the individual. I've kept several large animals on it without an issue, as have many others on the site.

It depends on whether it's an indoor or an outdoor enclosure and to some extent the species?
Can you give us some more info?

I personally just use newspaper for my Olive, she's about 8.5 feet.
When she's hungry (always..) she burrows underneath it, presumably looking for food, and consequently scrunches it up and tears it.

I get tonnes of free newspaper from work, so I don't mind too much haha.

you can get coco peat in bricks for $2 from bunnings. for an 8 foot enclosure you'd need maybe 3 or 4 bricks. cheap and looks natural.

its indoor, and wooden. for a large adult darwin. so preferably something that is good at absorbing messes. i use newspaper for most tanks but would like something nice

I purchase the ozpet litter from pet store and i get a 20 kg bag for $20 but iv seen other pet shops sell the same sized bag for about $65 to $70 dollars so im getting a good deal and i purchase the newspaper littler from Woolworths what snake are you using it for?

And newspaper looks horrible it may be easy to get and cheap but looks so bad.

i use butchers paper with marine carpet ontop of that, buthcers to soak up the piss. works a treat, never had any issues

Sorry for all the members replying newspaper after you stated you didn't want that lol,

Me personally I'd fork out the extra cash and buy long astro turf (same as normal accept grass is longer)

Cut it to shape you won't notice cut lines because of the long grass,

Buy two sets so when you clean cage it's as easy as taking one out replacing it with the other then hosing out the dirty one.

Scorps

Kritter Crumble

RIMG0063.jpg

I use this stuff, Kritter Crumble made from coconut husk. Its natural and it gives your habitat a great natural look to it, absorbent, smells good and comes in 20L bags under 20bucks.

My BHP's love digging around under it and because its course it doesnt get in their nose.

You do spot cleans, then change it completely in 2 months.

hope this helps ya mate :)

you can get coco peat in bricks for $2 from bunnings. for an 8 foot enclosure you'd need maybe 3 or 4 bricks. cheap and looks natural.

I like this. Cheap and looks good. Has anyone worked out a quick way to dry it after you soak it to break it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back