Breeding childreni for novices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No advice but.....

Just like to say.. see it can be done, people can be nice and helpful without name calling and getting on their "high horse"

Well done APS ... keep it up !!!!! :D

Last edited:
The containers usually have a paper towel, hide and water bowl. there are some good ideas for these in the diy section. cheapest option I have seen for hides is toilet paper rolls and ramekins for small water dishes.

Edit: Just did some reading on obese snakes and it seems the general guide is if you can see skin in between the scales, the snake is obese. When I saw this snake it was just really large, no skin visible between scales though so maybe it's not obese, just fat.

do you know how often your friend feed's his/her snake? what food item? size? amount?
and how old are both the childreni?
regarding the unlikely event that your friend's snake got knocked up, suppose only time will tell

Sigh. Maybe I should post the vet's phone number here so you guys can tell them they're doing their job wrong.

Merely offered you sound advice that's all.Do with it what you will.

do you know how often your friend feed's his/her snake? what food item? size? amount?
and how old are both the childreni?
regarding the unlikely event that your friend's snake got knocked up, suppose only time will tell
No, I haven't asked her yet. Although I don't think it was more frequent than once a week. Her snake is 6 years and and mine 4. I will recommend what I've fed mine for years - adult mouse/fuzzie rat once a week, max.

Merely offered you sound advice that's all.Do with it what you will.
As did half a dozen other posts before you, with the exact same 'advice'! It's really not that helpful given the information I've stated.

The containers usually have a paper towel, hide and water bowl. there are some good ideas for these in the diy section. cheapest option I have seen for hides is toilet paper rolls and ramekins for small water dishes.
Ramsayi (and others) take note. This right here is helpful advice.

Some of you are really reminding me why I hardly post here. Members of Aussie Pythons and Snakes obviously don't take kindly to reptile noobs. I'd hate to see the reaction if someone really irresponsible decided to post here. I.e. the type of person who is quite happy to just take these animals from the wild, feeds their snake any old live prey they can get their hands on, really doesn't give two ****s about the poor reptile, etc. Coz I know quite a few of those kinds of people.

wow, i thought everyone here had answered with helpful advice.... and from reading all the posts i thought your attitude was the one that was questionable.

If I was you I wouldn't breed them
Cause I think your putting your snake in danger
And the hatchling Will need 24/7 heat
Witch you don't have a heat cord so there probz going to be cold and die
So making your friends snake loseing weight
Your going to bring little snake in to the and you won't be able to look after them right
So don't worry about it
Put the snake on a diet

wow, i thought everyone here had answered with helpful advice.... and from reading all the posts i thought your attitude was the one that was questionable.
Any attitude I've given is towards replies that haven't addressed my questions about hatchlings and husbandry, and instead were repeating previous posts, harping on about the vet's apparently poor advice, telling me to use heating equipment in a 35 degree humid climate which the snakes are native to, and telling me not to breed the snakes when I'd made it quite clear they've already been bred. Helpful advice is the kind that tells me what best to do with possible eggs/hatchlings, not implying that I should undo what can't be undone. Make sense? Here's a perfect example, just two posts below yours:

If I was you I wouldn't breed them
Cause I think your putting your snake in danger
And the hatchling Will need 24/7 heat
Witch you don't have a heat cord so there probz going to be cold and die
So making your friends snake loseing weight

Any attitude I've given is towards replies that haven't addressed my questions about hatchlings and husbandry, and instead were repeating previous posts, harping on about the vet's apparently poor advice, telling me to use heating equipment in a 35 degree humid climate which the snakes are native to, and telling me not to breed the snakes when I'd made it quite clear they've already been bred. Helpful advice is the kind that tells me what best to do with possible eggs/hatchlings, not implying that I should undo what can't be undone. Make sense? Here's a perfect example, just two posts below yours:

People may repeat posts because they dont read through everyones replies, you may find it annoying but it seems everyone has the same thoughts.

As stated earlier, you may live in Darwin but you may still heat your animals if kept inside in air con. I live in Melbourne and keep local blotched blueys. The ones inside are heated, the ones outside aren't. It wasn't a stupid question but you seemed to be annoyed by it. You mention this is why you don't post here uch, maybe it's your reaction to peoples advice that causes a backlash? I have never experienced rudeness when i have asked for help or advice. I have taken it all as help.

personally i think that should the female be gravid i wouldn't incubate or allow her to incubate the eggs ,,,, given that you asked if you could feed hatchies on meal worms i think you are ill equipped to deal with and get hatchies going should you get set up get the eggs to hatch end up with hatchies good luck to you but i feel you would be better off getting the excess weight off the snake .... an adult childreni can live on 1 adult mouse every 14 days is enough there is no real need to feed them more than mice but having said all this if you get that far good luck to you

Everybody's got to start somewhere right?? I think a lot of research is in order if your friend has a gravid snake... ALOT of research... But in saying that I have found that information on the internet can often give you plenty of ideas but not many solid answers... There is a lot of contradicting information out there and NOTHING beats experience. I have noticed that some people on this forum are very quick to tell you their opinion, good bad or otherwise, but there is a lot of information here, you just have to ask the right questions. I am new to the forum, and have found it extremely helpful, but I do think that you guys can shoot the newbies down if they ask something you feel they should already know, or if it is viewed as a 'stupid question'. I used to teach horse riding and once had a friend put a saddle on backwards.. This seemed like the most idiotic thing in the world to me because I know better, but I think we all have to remember that not everyone knows what we know, and have a bit of tolerance.. I know you probably get the same posts, with similar questions over and over and over again... But thats part of participating in a forum and educating people about these wonderful reptiles, and all the ups and downs, ins and out of keeping them.. Isn't it? Just my opinion...

I don't personally think anything said in here has been intentionally nasty- just honest. Yes, everyone starts as a newbie and needs to learn, but for something like breeding when the health and wellbeing multiple little animals are at stake, in addition to the parents (particularly the female/dam who is at a high risk of dystocia), prior preparation and knowledge is rather essential, for both the breeder/owner (or in this case, friend), parent animal and hatchlings sake. In this circumstance I strongly believe the veterinarian provided the wrong advice, and personally if you and your friend aren't prepared for hatchlings, weren't originally INTENDING on breeding (i.e. only did so because of the obese snake) then personally I wouldn't recommend you even incubate them, as froggy said.

I have not bred Antaresia sp. yet but do plan to in the future- however my stimmys are only 3mo so they are a long way off that, and rest assured there will be a lot of preparation and planning prior to the event so I know exactly what their needs are- not a spur of the moment decision, without any idea what to do :) So, as of yet I can't provide any other help, other than my suggestion to not incubate them if the eggs arise- just my opinion.

Last edited:
Must have been an awesome feeling for 90% of the people in this thread to know exactly what they were doing the first time they bred a reptile. If she does lay a clutch and they all die due to poor husbandry I see no difference between that and breeders that freeze animals which won't bring in the big $$$$ for the season.

Mate, get yourself a heatcord, thermostat and some aluminium tape. Use a router bit to knock out a long notch, put your heat cord in it, cover it with 2 layers of aluminium tape and wire your thermostat. Using takeaway containers are a better option than reusing "systema" type tubs for hatchies.

Good luck.

People may repeat posts because they dont read through everyones replies, you may find it annoying but it seems everyone has the same thoughts.
Silly me. I thought the point of forum boards was for people to read and discuss each other's posts. It's hardly a discussion when you ignore what other people are saying. It's not like there's pages and pages of posts to read through, either. I'm sure if I had posted without reading the advice people were offering, you guys would have been understandably annoyed at me too.

As stated earlier, you may live in Darwin but you may still heat your animals if kept inside in air con. I live in Melbourne and keep local blotched blueys. The ones inside are heated, the ones outside aren't. It wasn't a stupid question but you seemed to be annoyed by it. You mention this is why you don't post here uch, maybe it's your reaction to peoples advice that causes a backlash? I have never experienced rudeness when i have asked for help or advice. I have taken it all as help.
Well yeah, I was annoyed about the aircon comment, and no it wasn't well thought out. I may not know a lot about snakes but I know that aircon lowers temperature and humidity and that if I had it on a lot, I would need heating equipment to keep the snake/s warm.

This is not the first time I have asked for advice on APS and received so many unhelpful responses. I'm a member of many other forum boards, and in my experience, when somebody admits they're a newbie and shows a willingness to learn from more experienced members, it's generally met with friendly and helpful advice. For people who are so quick to get frustrated and annoyed at others who don't know as much as you might about snakes, I think I reserve the right to be annoyed at those of you who didn't read before posting and as a result, contributed to the mass of unhelpful replies.

personally i think that should the female be gravid i wouldn't incubate or allow her to incubate the eggs ,,,, given that you asked if you could feed hatchies on meal worms i think you are ill equipped to deal with and get hatchies going should you get set up get the eggs to hatch end up with hatchies good luck to you but i feel you would be better off getting the excess weight off the snake .... an adult childreni can live on 1 adult mouse every 14 days is enough there is no real need to feed them more than mice but having said all this if you get that far good luck to you
had to read that about five times and still not entirely sure what you're trying to say... But anyway. So I'm stupid for asking if mealworms are appropriate. Are you going to offer a suggestion as to what I should be feeding them, or just do as so many others have done in this thread - that is, tell me what I shouldn't be doing and be on your way?

Last edited:
what were saying is
read more about breeding ants
get a book KEEPING AND BREEDING AUSTRALIA PYTHONS
and dont just breed them to lose weight
thats why there so many bad reply
so your check list is
1. book
2. wait till next year
3. set up the right way dont rush in to it
4. thermostat
5. 15-25w heat cord
6. some thermo
7. just enjoy haveing your snakes
even if you dont breed
:)

what were saying is
so your check list is
1. book
2. wait till next year
4. thermostat
5. 15-25w heat cord
6. some thermo
even if you dont breed

A book cannot compare to numerous people's experiences. It's like saying you read a book on mechanics and can now build a flux capacitor

what were saying is
so your check list is
1. book
2. wait till next year
4. thermostat
5. 15-25w heat cord
6. some thermo
even if you dont breed
And here's one for you, since you apparently need it:
1. Read my posts. If you had read them, you wouldn't be telling me to wait till next year because you'd know that the pythons have already bred.
2. Read my posts. If you had read them, you wouldn't be telling me to get thermostats and heating equipment because you'd know that I live in an area to which the snakes are native, and rarely use air conditioning.
3. Read my posts. If you had read them, you wouldn't be telling me that breeding an overweight snake in order for it to lose weight is a bad idea, because you'd know that pretty much everyone in this thread has already said that, that I'm getting sick of hearing it because it's not something I can change now, and that we were following a vet's advice. You'd also know that the snake is now probably not obese, as per my description of not being able to see the snake's skin between the scales.
4. Read my posts. If you had read them, you would know that we have already done a lot of research and were still confused, hence my post on APS. This is the first mention of any books in this thread.

Edit: Some very helpful Territorian has private messaged me a bunch of breeding tips, so I guess I won't be needing any more help with this. Thanks to those who did offer constructive advice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back