Tell me about Murray Darlings...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitarsha

Reaction score
OK...so i've had my interest tweaked after falling for someone elses MD bub - and i couldn't even run off with the bub! So...all you MD owners or fanatics tell me about them and why i want one for my collection? lol

i don't own a MD but i've seen and heard they're really cool animals!
from what i've seen they're one of the calmest if not the calmest sub-species of carpet python, as well as not growing to large and being fairly forgiving in terms of husbandry needs and breeding.

every one who'se owned one seems to think that they make great pets and with my breif experiences (other peoples MD's)
I own a coastal and i think he's great!

so placid, great contrasting patterns with nice blacks, whites and silvers. Great companions will happily sit around your neck or in your jumper all day. very inquisitive and love investigating. Quite well known for not biting but you will always get the odd few. Grow to a nice size, easy to look after, eat anything, great with kids (if properly handled). the list goes on haha.

I've had my MD boy since he was 7 months old, he's now 3. He was my second snake and had a calm and inquisitive temperament right from the start. Even when I first got him and he was tiny there wasn't much that frightened him, and he's the snake that won my mother over, she hadn't liked snakes before that.

I have 6 other snakes but Prince is the one I get out for people who haven't been that close to snakes before. I have to keep an eye on him though, if I leave a glass of water too close he'll stick his head in there and drink out of it haha. Every time I pick him up he seems bigger, he's always been a great feeder. I've had some bites from him but they were all because of a mistake that I made, some because I'd frightened him without meaning to, and other times when I hadn't washed my hands properly after handling other animals resulting in him thinking I was lunch. Despite that he's never given a decent bite, the few times he's mistaken me for food he held on for less than 2 seconds and didn't bite very hard in the first place. Here's some pics of him when I got him as a hatchie and then some more recent ones:

Attachments

• Prince close-up.jpg
    Prince close-up.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 68
  • Prince's first feed at home.jpg
    Prince's first feed at home.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Prince Head.jpg
    Prince Head.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Prince Cute.jpg
    Prince Cute.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Prince Shed.jpg
    Prince Shed.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 60
  • New skin3.jpg
    New skin3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 64
  • New skin4.jpg
    New skin4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 56
  • New skin2.jpg
    New skin2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 65
  • New skin.jpg
    New skin.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 59
my first python was a md and i love them. hardy and calm. i love the colours and patterns and great for kids. it is hard to describe but there is something about them that has made me fall in love with them. no other snake bar rsps has made me just go WOW!

View attachment 246038I have 2 x 3 year old males who are an absolute pleasure to own. The guys I bought them off told me they are real puppy dogs - and they didn't exaggerate! They are wonderful to handle, no fuss, great eaters. I decided on getting MDs because of their reputation, and I have not regretted one minute of it. One of them sleeps on my knee while I watch TV, the other has his favourite pozzy at the kitchen table wrapped around a chair. They sleep cuddled up together under the heat lamp or in the same hide. They are a couple of metres long each - so not little guys, but all my snake-phobic family have fallen in love with them.

I like the colours - silver, black and spots of bronze down the sides.

Do yourself a favour and get one. They are great little snakes to own. :)

View attachment 246035View attachment 246036View attachment 246037

Had mine about 3 years since a hatchy - first snake. Have 6 others now, but Dexter has a special place in my heart. Ultra easy going, great handler, has only bitten once (thought I was a rat :)). About 1.5m long now and my eldest kids handle him with ease. In short - a great snake!!

Ive decided on a MD for my next python, they are awesome looking snakes and seem to have a wonderful temperament to them. I cant wait haha

hi,
as the previous comments have stated mDs are the most placed of them all. i have had my girl since she was about 6 or 7 months old and she is now 3 and a half years old.they arent small snakes as mine is about 6 foot long. in that time she has only bitten once, my fault picked her after she shed. i spent a long time researching all snakes and the MDs were perfect. able to tollerate tempreture differances and hardy. i have taken her every year up to the kids at school and she has been handled close with young kids and not much seems to phase her. even if i have been a bit slck and not handled her for a while only breifly to clean up she still dosnt mind. she may hiss a little but after 5 mins she has seatled down. she has beautifull colors and patterns.
DSC02390.jpgthis was taken the other week.
hope we have given you what you are after. :)

Last edited:
Mine is only about 5 months old and still a bit exciteable, last night he was soaking in his water bowl (must be getting ready to shed) and I added a bit more water for him.... he took off like I poured hydrochlauric acid on him, but soon calmed down and got back in :lol: He eats like a horse.... I nearly need a safety rope and harness when I feed him.... nearly takes your arm as well :shock: I call him a mobile, self propelled garbage compactor :lol:

I am handling him a few minutes a day and looking forward to when he calms down a bit

How often are they available in black/grey/white? I'm a bit more taken with that colour variation...and not sure if i'm just setting myself up for more expense then originally expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back