Reptiles hanging out with your 'other pets'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of u allow your reptiles to hang out with your cats, dogs etc. I only ask because i assumed it would be risky or just a straight up no no but my girlfriend has the cutest photos of their 2 blue tongues cuddled up with her CAT! on the lawn sun baking. I was like WHAT THE!? lol it looked so cute but odd! she said they used to snuggle together all the time! is this a common thing or was she just lucky? apparently they never had any close calls.

I don't think It's a great idea to let them 'Hang Out". Reptiles and mammals really are completely different. Maybe even a cat or dog thinking it's playing could do some serious damage to your reps. You've seen this pic a few times of my Darwin and the Mrs. cat. I don't trust the Cat and I'm right beside it ready to knock it out of the way at the slightest hint.
PICT0065.jpgPICT0062.jpg

just yesterday I was "walking the snake' and the cat came over. once again sniffed each other, both recoiling flatout. The cat then sniffed the snake, then layed down on its side. Idiot snake goes over to cat and proceeded to go up over it's front paw, back to me and then back over the cats hind leg. The cat just layed there and didn't even move. Once again I was probably the nervous one out of the three, but i just don't trust the cat.

Last edited:
Yeah I have two cats. My little ginger boy isn't sure about my Children's but he will sit there quite content if it's near him as long as it doesn't move too much. He prefers to sit on my lap while I hold the snake. My big cat (she's a smidge under 9kg - not overweight but big-boned so more like HUGE) loves the snake. She doesn't mind it being on her at all and is happy to follow it around the house while it follows me doing the housework. The snake doesn't like to be away from me much when it's out so every time I get out of sight it comes racing after me. Never thought to take photos but might do that now you've mentioned it ;)
My dogs I wouldn't ever let near them though. They've got more of a killer instinct than my cats have to small animals unfortunately (a kelpie/ ridgey x dane/ staffy & a purebred Tibetan Spaniel).
I have a cockatiel that's tame that I take out occasionally and I can't have the bitser dog inside or she'll try to kill it. Most placid dog, wouldn't even think of putting a foot wrong, but when there's a small animal around she's a completely different dog. Little Tibetan boy likes the bird and will play with it but I wouldn't leave him alone with anything for a second. Hubby doesn't like it when I let the animals near the snakes. He thinks it'll get them believing that all snakes are harmless and next we'll have wild ones in the house that they've brought in. Not sure about this, but we do have quite a few around here so would rather not risk it.

we have 2 cats, one isnt at all fussed by the snakes and doesnt go near them except to occasionally steal some heat from their lamps... the other actively hunts them. even when they are out of the tank, so he gets to have outside time when the snakes are out...

In my case of cat vs snake, I would worry about the cat lol my cat is a big fat wussy pussy lol he is scared of all critters even gecko tails that he accidently knocked off the ONE gecko he chased as a yearling lol he circles me and my guys when we are outside and meow's frantically as if he is scared I am going to be lunch for the snakes lol he will sleep on top of their enclosures, but if they slither around he is out of there lickety split :D I wouldnt intentionally allow any of my reptiles and other critters to interact simply because they are all so unpredictable

I find it's best to gaffa tape up the cats face and claws before i allow it to interact with any of my reptiles

I find it's best to gaffa tape up the cats face and claws before i allow it to interact with any of my reptiles

PMSL! :lol: If it didn't sound so cruel I'd say PICS! Just trying to picture a cat in gaffa tape now. I love when some of them have those Elizabeth collars on from the vets. They walk all funny like a goanna does. I wonder if it'd be equally as funny?

At Joemals place I recon the pecking order is in favour of the snakes :lol::lol::lol:. That photo of the little froofie dog peeking out of the hammock says it all. The big olive is just thinking - come here you little fur burger pansy - you can hide all you want, but I'm gunna nail your ar5e one day.

montyshedding 217.jpgHeres a photo of Tia and Monty....a once off. I shrieked at hubby because im too scared that one of em will have a go at the other....

Last edited:
I personally
don't have my snakes out around my cats or dogs, however I have heard of and seen other reptile keepers actively encouraging interactions.

Given the size of my enclosures and the floor space, branches, and room to run around I keep buying pet mice and rats to move in as flatmates with my snakes and keep them company. They don't seem to get along at all.

Keep trying I guess...

I have my frilly outside with my macaw on occasion but the macaw chases the frilly around too much and has to be watched carefully.. Too risky.

View attachment 247250Heres a photo of Tia and Monty....a once off. I shrieked at hubby because im too scared that one of em will have a go at the other....

I trained my old dog so that I could balance a chip on his nose. He would sit there until I clicked my fingers, and the chip would dissapear.

When sitting with the chip on his nose he had the same look on his face as this dog.

Click your fingers....I dare you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back