to feed or not to feed???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i am moving house over the next 2 weeks and as we will be packing up and moving everything, and everyone, i was wondering if I should leave feeding the snakes until we move, as I am not sure exactly when we are going to be moving them and dont want to stress them out any more than I need to.

I also dont really want to be taking overly hungry snakes out of their enclosures and putting them into bags! lol. I have managed not to get bitten in a year of keeping, and would like to keep it that way for a little bit longer!

I know it wont hurt any of them to go a couple of weeks without food...

Are you moving locally? As in a drive down the road? And are they going into their current enclosures when they get there? If so then I wouldn't worry too much. If they're only doing a short trip and they're going back into what they know and feel safe in as a home, then all I would be concerned about is the possible regurgitation of food from the car ride.
Haven't actually moved snakes before though, so take that however you will hehe. Good luck with the move! :)

Going about an hour and a half away. i will be changing enclosures around, as I have a new one waiting up there for me, so i think i may just leave them all alone for a bit because there will be lots going on to stress them out and I really dont want to clean up regurged rats. urgh. cant think of anything worse.

When I moved Zephyr from Melbourne to Cairns I gave her the last feed 10 days beforehand. You're not moving quite that far, but my vote is to stop feeding them, especially since you don't know exactly when you'll be shifting them. It's not only the digestion, it's the poop. I wanted to be sure Zephyr wouldn't have to sit in excrement during her trip.

Hehe yeah might be a good idea then. I know I'd rather be bitten by a hungry snake than clean up regurged rodent though for sure! :lol:

When I moved Zephyr from Melbourne to Cairns I gave her the last feed 10 days beforehand. You're not moving quite that far, but my vote is to stop feeding them, especially since you don't know exactly when you'll be shifting them. It's not only the digestion, it's the poop. I wanted to be sure Zephyr wouldn't have to sit in excrement during her trip.

Hadnt even thought about the renenet! thank you. as it is only "just down the road" we will be taking smaller loads whenever we get a chance, so they may well move in earlier or later, so i think i will just leave them alone as I know it wont hurt them to have no food for a couple of weeks!

Hehe yeah might be a good idea then. I know I'd rather be bitten by a hungry snake than clean up regurged rodent though for sure! :lol:

yep me too!!!

I let my guys go all up 10 days in between feeding, 8 days before the move and then 2 days after the move they coped really well and fed no problems nor did they regurgitate :D our trip was 6 and a half hours... Good luck with your move :)

thanks Crystal! Saw the house for the first time yesterday. Got a bit of a shock, but it will all be fixed up for us to move in to.

Hey guys - we are talking 2 weeks. From everything I've read here plenty of time for the snake to digest the feed and crap it out. Couldn't see why they would want to crap in a bag anyway - mine goes on the grass as option 1, the carpet as option 2 (little mongrel), and in his enclosure as a last resort. I know a few people who transport their critters around and haven't heard once that they crapped in the sack.

don't forget - I'm only on L plates, but 2 weeks seems plenty of time to me

Regards Col

as i said though ricochet, its not a definate 2 weeks, could be any time in the next 2 weeks.. I am sure it wont hurt either way, i am more worried about regurg than poo, but in saying that ive read quite a few members on here that have picked up their snakes and found them covered in poo...

Just being a gentleman...................just when i was reading i thougt you had a planned date, but on return i read you were making the mover over the 2 weeks. Hope the move goes well.

Dont feed any of your repriles If your moving If you disturba newly fed snake you risk regurgtation and even If you feed them a week before you move they will all poop in there enclosers most people that have to relocate there pythons dont feed before hand for about 2 weeks

If this was me - I'd be out on the grog - bugger the packing.............PARTY

LOL- I have planned a little party all by myself... i cant remember the last time i was by myself. May even find time to have my last spa bath (new house hardly has a bath, let alone a spa). I am actually looking forward to it.

oh dear- what a nanna I sound like, but every other mother out there will know exactly what i mean...

LOL- I have planned a little party all by myself... i cant remember the last time i was by myself. May even find time to have my last spa bath (new house hardly has a bath, let alone a spa). I am actually looking forward to it.

oh dear- what a nanna I sound like, but every other mother out there will know exactly what i mean...
Sometimes alone time is what brings our sanity back(specially when moving and packing are involved ;) )Enjoy your moment :)

Thats so true Merle. I tried to start the other day, but as I was putting things into boxes, she was pulling them out, and i really need to toss 3/4 of her toys out as she doesnt play with them anyway, so all that will be so much easier alone!!

Thats so true Merle. I tried to start the other day, but as I was putting things into boxes, she was pulling them out, and i really need to toss 3/4 of her toys out as she doesnt play with them anyway, so all that will be so much easier alone!!
I so hear you, Breanna is 7 and I still cannot bring myself to do a "proper" clear out of her toys.... she still has what were her favorite Baby toys lol I tried and wound up crying so boxed them up and they are in storage lol I did manage to give some stuff to charity though ;) Breanna was like that each time we moved(I am part gypsy I think)when she was younger the only way I had some success was to pack while she slept lol she was much more helpful now she is 7 :D actually she was wonderfull this time round :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back