help needed now!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There could be a number of reasons for this snake not to feed.
Just from reading this thread i think that there is a couple of thinks that you could try.
First of all the snake might feel insecure housed with the other snake, sometimes one snake can be more dominant than the other causing one of the snakes to maybe not eat & hideaway. Try moving one of the snakes to another enclosure, for long term trial.

Another one is that the snake might prefer a different food item, I know it sounds silly, but i have on many ocassions had to change from pinky rats to velvet or fuzzy mice to get hatchies to start feeding. so try a fuzzy mouse instead of pinky rat.

Also as someone else said there is some great info allready put together about a lot of this, it can be found in the Wiki section of this forum. Definately worth a read.

Cheers
Ian

he doesnt hide away he is always out roaming his tank but the feeder is always hiding :/

i am going to move him into his own tank as soon as i get my hands on another thermostat and a heat source. would putting him in a click clack inside the tank with the other have the same effect or do i need a whole different tank altogether? i have tried braining the pinkies. but once i have seperated them and let him settle for a week i will start back at square one. correct me if im wrong but is this list in right order?
- try feeding normally
- try braining
- leave food in front of hide and walk away
- scent the feed
- play around with temps (if it gets to this point how should i differ the temps? as i thought that they were only meant to live in a 32/25 tank)

he isnt loosing weight or looking dehydrated or lathargic so i suppose that is a good thing for now :/

i rung the vet yesterday and got it priced if it comes to that also, and it isnt cheap at all :(

thanks for all your help i really appreciate it.

For starters, in reference to your last comment, don't listen to all the people who say things like "if you can't afford to take it to the vet why did you get it?".
I will pay any cost required for my various animal's wellbeing, but that doesn't mean I won't complain about it!!

And sorry if I missed it, but have you tried pinky mice instead of pinky rats? One of my hatchies had been feeding on pinky rats for ages, then didn't eat for a while. I just happened to have a pinky mouse that the monitor had refused, so I waved it in his tank and he was right on it. I don't know why, but it's something else to try anyway.

Last edited:
i am using pinky mice :) i am willing to pay the vet fee's but not till i have tried everything and he starts looking sick as i have a family to support also. i have a 3 yr old and a 10 month old so that takes a fair whack of my money each week :) and i dont cut corners on my babies they have the best of everything :) and my snakes will be the same. no cutting corners but he dont look sick so taking him to the vets is not on the books yet but will be as soon as (if it happens) he starts getting/ looking unwell :)

Hi,

Where abouts are you? Maybe there are some experienced keepers nearby that could lend a hand if the breeder isn't willing to step up to the plate...

Reptile Supplement - www.wombaroo.com.au

This stuff can be given to the snake via syringe to keep it strong, is also supposed to help with their feeding response. It's mixed 50/50 and then a small amount given orally through syringe/tube.

An experienced keeper or vet can check out all husbandry and then show you how to do this if necessary.

Goodluck and I hope it feeds for you soon!

For starters, in reference to your last comment, don't listen to all the people who say things like "if you can't afford to take it to the vet why did you get it?".
I will pay any cost required for my various animal's wellbeing, but that doesn't mean I won't complain about it!!

And sorry if I missed it, but have you tried pinky mice instead of pinky rats? One of my hatchies had been feeding on pinky rats for ages, then didn't eat for a while. I just happened to have a pinky mouse that the monitor had refused, so I waved it in his tank and he was right on it. I don't know why, but it's something else to try anyway.

Lol maybe it liked the smell of your monitor :lol:

Last edited:
i will look into people around me and the breeder is willing to take him back and get him feeding just trying to see what is available for us to do first :D breeder is really good in all of this always giving me pointers :)

one trick is give it a bath in powerade etc
loads of great electrolytes in there
often use it to get non feeders going

but that comes after trying the dark etc etc

avoid force feeding unless you really have to
pretty stressful for both of you

To OP: I was in no way saying you do cut corners, I just thought I'd get in ahead of the naysayers. :) Hopefully he starts feeding really soon!!

Hi,
Lol maybe it liked the smell of your monitor :lol:

Hehe... considering that even though they're both babies, the monitor would chomp him and still be looking for seconds, I'd say my little baby Stimsons is pretty ballsy if that's the case!!:)

A basic start can be pieces of rat tail (about the length of a pinkie) have someone hold it gently and try to get him to open his mouth. I have used a very blunted wooden toothpick gently eased from one side of its mouth to the other. just coax him to open his mouth enough to slip the tail into his mouthand feed it in and see if this starts a feeding response. If he starts to swallow the tail, get the pinkie to follow the tail and be eaten also. This would be a perfect outcome, doesnt always work tho. The most important thing when dealing with a python and any sort of assist feeding... you must not damage the toung, at all cost.

I agree definately with the others, separate the 2. A friend bought a bhp hatchie (10 week old) that wasnt feeding, the seller had tried tails and braining... but no reaction. My mate took it home, put a pinkie (rat) in its hide with it in the click clack then checked an hour later and it was gone :shock: he checked the entire click clack, in and under the paper towel.... gone...eaten :lol: We told the seller... he was pretty stunned. The little BHP came from a place where there are 40 odd snakes (different smells) from other hatchies to monsters, dogs, children and alot of adults living there. Martin and I discussed it and thought maybe, all the smells (other snakes, dogs,children, people) noise...traffic past the click clack etc... then the seller being a bit stressed.... no way obama was going to eat. When martin got it home, quiet....stress free, less smells, covered click clack .... very calm.... obama scoffed the pinkie. He now takes from tweezers. The last bhp where he got obama still isnt eating?

I'd say, heat the pinky well, put it in the hide with your snake and leave it be for quite a while, see what happens?

Best of luck, let us know how you get on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back