City Life vs Bush life

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheHerper

Reaction score
So we did a debate about this in school recently, and i thought i would get some opinions on it :)

So a bunch of people on APS say they love the bush.
I live in the city, But would love to live in the bush.
But there IS downsides to both.
Citys You get Murder, Robbery, Bashing, etc etc
Bush, You have to drive a while to the nearest hospital if in need of medical assistance, Bush Fires, and sometimes bad phone reception, in case of an emergency, etc

So what is your opinion? :)

City.
As much as I love herping, I spent most of my life in Dubai and love being in the city. Good thing about Australia is that if I lived in Brisbane/Sydney/Perth etc, I could live in the city but only be a half hour or so drive from the nearest NP to do some herping.

Just to be different, I say neither!

I am a city girl who moved her young family to out to the middle of nowhere & I hate it out here. But I don't like the city either so I am hoping to find that perfect compromise of civilization & isolation.

Small country towns, or just outside them, are by FAR the best. Nicer people, no real traffic, better scenery, more wildlife. Its more the country type lifestyle that I like- people tend to help each other out, a better community, friendlier etc. wheras in the city its hussle and bussle, everyones so uptight and only seem to care about something if its in the best interests for THEM. Just a generalisation, but... so true, imo.

Summary: Country >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> City

Just to be different, I say neither!

I am a city girl who moved her young family to out to the middle of nowhere & I hate it out here. But I don't like the city either so I am hoping to find that perfect compromise of civilization & isolation.

Where I live is kinda like that. I think the Hawkesbury is classified as semi-rural. I love it. There's bush 15 minutes one way and city-ish less than an hour the other way

Its a tough one. I've never actually lived out bush but I totally get the appeal. Peace, wildlife, space...

But for me, I dont think I could live too far from the city. Maybe when I'm older. But until then theres too much happening near cities that I dont wanna miss.

I live on North Stradbroke Island which I guess is neither? After a few years of traveling I can honestly say it is where I will stay for a long time. Such a diversity in both fauna and flora, not to mention the hectares of untouched land which are there to explore!

Carnelian - Maybe you should try beach town perhaps?

Its good where I live on the outskirts of town, so kinda in the bush but close enough to town.

I lived in the middle of nowhere for most of my adult life.... yep crap happened and we got hurt, sometimes seriously but we always had great first aid or Flying doctors and they used to get to us quicker than the ambulance sometimes in the cities lol.... I like being able to not see another person if I choose, I love waking up to the sounds of birds and animals rather than hustle and bustle, I am a crackajack cook so can make most dishes even KFC that tastes better than the real deal(I am not giving them my recipe lol)I hate shopping generally(unless for lures or toenail polish)so dont care. Police are overrated and I like to sort out my own stuff pmsl.... Dentists would be the thing I missed the most, however moonshine soon sorted the bad tooth out ha ha ha.... I gotta say I love the BUSH hands down and dont want to ever live in a city again....

Small country towns, or just outside them, are by FAR the best. Nicer people, no real traffic, better scenery, more wildlife. Its more the country type lifestyle that I like- people tend to help each other out, a better community, friendlier etc. wheras in the city its hussle and bussle, everyones so uptight and only seem to care about something if its in the best interests for THEM. Just a generalisation, but... so true, imo.

Summary: Country >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> City

A lot of small country towns aren't like that any more, we live in a country town of approx. 100, 99% of the people are narrow minded, drug ****** rednecks. There are a lot of towns that are getting the same reputation in far western QLD. Unless you live there you don't know 'cause on the surface they are lovely & helpful, to the tourists anyway, but unless you are born & bred in the town you are treated like crap.

I like having civilization not far away, conveniences etc... but love the wide open spaces.

Carnelian - Maybe you should try beach town perhaps?

That is the next move we make. Eventually heading to North QLD.

A lot of small country towns aren't like that any more, we live in a country town of approx. 100, 99% of the people are narrow minded, drug ****** rednecks. There are a lot of towns that are getting the same reputation in far western QLD. Unless you live there you don't know 'cause on the surface they are lovely & helpful, to the tourists anyway, but unless you are born & bred in the town you are treated like crap.

Couldnt agree with you more.

People actually dont understand what happens in some of these country towns and this is speaking from experience.

From underground drug labs to rednecks still shooting Aboriginals and even religious cults..
Crazy stuff!

However you cannot look past the beauty of the landscape so I'm not complaining :)

small country towns, or just outside them, are by far the best. Nicer people, no real traffic, better scenery, more wildlife. Its more the country type lifestyle that i like- people tend to help each other out, a better community, friendlier etc. Wheras in the city its hussle and bussle, everyones so uptight and only seem to care about something if its in the best interests for them. Just a generalisation, but... So true, imo.

Summary: Country >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> city
aka tasmania :)

Lived in Tassie and Rural QLD for years after moving from Sydney. I hated it with a passion. Having to drive 50 KM to the nearest town sucked, especially when the nearest town was a hole. Most of the people from those towns are drug addicts or scumbags, lol....

I've moved to Brisbane now and I'll never move away from Suburbia or the city again. There's so much to do, you're never bored. Close to everything you could think of and I get my fix of the bush when I go and see my mother or head for drives out through Mt Nebo.

The only good thing about the bush is having property to put motocross tracks on.

id say the sunny coast is the best of both worlds. and altho the city isnt as big as brissy its big enough. we have the beaches on one side, the hills and farms and bush lands on the other and the bustling metropolis in the middle :) one of my aunts has a family farm down near the NSW border, near Kilarney (?) that i spend a few weeks with every year...there is no reception no tv with a strict christian family...its basically hell IMO. that being said i cannot stand the city. i go to brisbane ONLY if i absolutely have to!

Lived in Tassie and Rural QLD for years after moving from Sydney. I hated it with a passion. Having to drive 50 KM to the nearest town sucked, especially when the nearest town was a hole. Most of the people from those towns are drug addicts or scumbags, lol....

I've moved to Brisbane now and I'll never move away from Suburbia or the city again. There's so much to do, you're never bored. Close to everything you could think of and I get my fix of the bush when I go and see my mother or head for drives out through Mt Nebo.

The only good thing about the bush is having property to put motocross tracks on.

Sounds like you might have lived here, although we live in a town it is very small & only has a convenience store that is way over priced. Our nearest larger town to get some shopping done is Longreach which is still over 120km away over crappy roads & still has sweet F A there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back