City Life vs Bush life

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea... country towns are pretty hard to live in if you weren't born there.... The people are very close minded in my experience, you have to live there for at least 40 years to be a local o_O

Sounds like you might have lived here, although we live in a town it is very small & only has a convenience store that is way over priced. Our nearest larger town to get some shopping done is Longreach which is still over 120km away over crappy roads & still has sweet F A there.

Lol, get out while you can or your kids will grow to resent you for it. I know I hated my mother for sticking me out there...

A lot of small country towns aren't like that any more, we live in a country town of approx. 100, 99% of the people are narrow minded, drug ****** rednecks. There are a lot of towns that are getting the same reputation in far western QLD. Unless you live there you don't know 'cause on the surface they are lovely & helpful, to the tourists anyway, but unless you are born & bred in the town you are treated like crap.

Mhmm I've spent a fair bit of time in country towns over the past few years, mostly northern qld and western qld- All of the towns I've been to, I've absolutely loved. I'm not saying this just as some kind of 'dream' or 'thoughts' about smaller towns without ever having experienced it... I do understand it would vary though, not all places will be like I described of course- you get rednecks and the like everywhere... Some places I've enjoyed more than others. I've recently returned to the outskirts of Brisbane (acredge in south Brisbane) and I can't wait to leave again...

Last edited:
A country homelife with a city job, best of both worlds. Just involves a lot of travel. Both have pros and cons, in my position I can't say either is best for a fulfilled lifestyle.

Lol, get out while you can or your kids will grow to resent you for it. I know I hated my mother for sticking me out there...

I hate myself for doing it to them but we can't move for a little while yet, heck we have been here for 14yrs already. The kids all know our thoughts on the matter & we have told them to never come back out here once we leave, they deserve better than anything here. The eldest left this yr so he can finish high school, he doesn't even want to come home for the holidays.

Mhmm I've spent a fair bit of time in country towns over the past few years, mostly northern qld and western qld- All of the towns I've been to, I've absolutely loved. I'm not saying this just as some kind of 'dream' or 'thoughts' about smaller towns without ever having experienced it... I do understand it would vary though, not all places will be like I described of course- you get rednecks and the like everywhere... Some places I've enjoyed more than others. I've recently returned to the outskirts of Brisbane (acredge in south Brisbane) and I can't wait to leave again...

As I said we have lived here for 14yrs & it isn't only this town, all the surrounding places are, to varying degrees, the same & getting worse. Plus as I said before, the people are lovely to tourists or people that come into the town short term but they have a habit of chewing you up & spitting you out once they have gotten what they want or decide you don't fit in or conform to their way of life. I found most Northern towns great though, love the areas west of Kuranda. The thing with rednecks being everywhere, here it is majority rules with 99% of peeps being rednecks, move along to the city & yes you have ya scumbags but there are generally loads of others around so you don't have to deal with the scum. We go back to the Brissy area for holidays often & love seeing normal people.

Last edited:
Bush wins hands down, my olds took me out to the country when I was 12 to get me away from all the **** goin on in the Housos, I hated it and moved out at 15 and went back to the hood. Worst mistake ever in some respects cos all I want to do now is go bush and raise my kids in the country. At least where I live now I am surrounded by national park just 2 mins away problem with that is no hunting or bush bashing! If I had my time over I'd stay in the country.

definitely the bush

no smog, no pollution, no noise pollution, no visual pollution and we do have an 'off' button unlike the cities which are 24/7 on the go

sure being 'isolate' medical wise can be a problem but its not that much of a hassle and you get assistance if you have to travel to a major city

we have 3 sets of traffic lights and they are only for the tourists so they dont suffer from withdrawals
:lol:

everything is 5 minutes drive from my front door including the outback, in fact 2 seconds drive up our road at the end of the street and we are 'in the bush'

not to mention we dont have to go on a long drive to find reptiles etc, i remember driving 5 mins out of town and being able to watch a fledgling wedge tail eagle grow up, watching it change from down feathers to his adult feathers and seeing it flap those giant wings to strengthen them and then taking daily 'test flights' until it was able to fly off and join its parents, not very often you can get to see that and get the opportunity to take the photos of mum, dad and junior sitting on a telegraph pole

when i see things like that i think to myself 'why would you live in the city' ???? will have to see if i can find the photo of them, sure hubby has it somewhere

City for me! :D Can't say I love Sydney's traffic but I can't live without the cafes around the corner, museums 10 minutes drive away and food from just about every country in the world. I never live in the bush so I might love it too but at the moment I'm not moving :p I lived in Oslo (the capital of Norway, population 500,000) back in 2000 and that was "bush" enough for me. Lovely LOVELY city but we lived 15 mins away from the central station and I remember sitting at the window of our apartment on a sunday morning in winter and for one hour there were 3 cars and 2 people passed by. I was so depressed I only lasted 3 years. I need to see people around me. LOTS of people ;)

Born n bred in the city,moved to the country teenage years for the first time and loved it!!

Been back n forth city and country with ex's due their work,now im single i do what i want,not them mwahahaha.

Currently in a small town of about 1,200 people (went to high school here). The hospital is 2 blocks away (work there). I have the bush,i have bigger towns within an hours drive,and i have the beach,and speedway!!!!

Ah,this is heaven!

For me Id like to live close to the bush but not too far from the city. And by not too far 2hrs away is not bad!!! hahahaha!! I live only 1hr from Brisbane and thats ok but Id like to be a bit more closer to the bush than I am atmo. I grew up around this area and I do find it hard as you do see ppl from when I was younger still thinking im the same person :rolleyes:. For me I love the bush because I feel relaxed, calm and centered. I do love the city too because I like to see how lucky I am to live so close to the bush! I go to the city and I see ppl who never look up, smile at each other as they walk down the street etc and I think wow how sad. So for me I like the best of both because with out one, Id forget how lucky I am to have the other!

Im a country mouse living in the city lol BUSH 4 sure! if hubby could get work out whoop whopp we would be there with bells on! lol

I currently live in the centre of Darwin. But I work in some of the remotest places in Oz. There is a good chance we will relocate to Arnhem Land soon. Thing is, I love cities (the middle) and I love the bush. I just hate the suburbs, they are an evil trap that saps the soul. People end up dreaming of cars and couches and have their adventures via television. Not for me YEEERK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back