Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boa2112

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Tom, i currently live in the U.S in Illinois, however i plan to move to Australia in a few years, i currently own a female red tail boa, a new Caledonian crested gecko and soon to own a Argentine Tegu (which im kinda starting to feel bad for it because i will have to watch him go with a new owner when i move:cry:) Unfortunately i will have to part with all of them, i will especially miss my boa Eve because she is such sweet animal.

Any way, i have read alot into licensing laws and understand there are no "exotic" breeds allowed, I have quite a few years keeping reptiles, and understand all the work involved, my question to you guys is to figure out a species of monitor (or goanna in A.U i suppose) that will best suit me. also i don't know exactly where i will move, that is still up in the air, (im a auto mechanic so any suggestions would be great)

When i settle in and acquire a license i want a midsized monitor that has a calmer more tamable personality. I really don't care about patterns and looks, #1 for me is something that is easy to tame and has a good personality.

I know the cart is before the horse but im curious to what i can own.

Thanks in advance, P.s its almost 1Am here.

+ spencerii if you want a big fat non bitey monitor , ackie if you want something active .

well i think it deppends on what state u move to , as each state has diffrent license regs

lacies are really calm at feeding time and they love pats

Dont be offended Tom, "taking the piss" is a cultural tradition here, you'll need to get used to it.

V. mertensii get extremely familiar with humans (sometimes to their detriment- 2 that were happy to be hand fed by tourists at Wangi Falls became so fat they wore holes in their bellies. With fatal consequences.

Oh and lacies laugh out loud (a muted hiss) when you wiggle your fingers in front of their nose.

Dont be offended Tom, "taking the piss" is a cultural tradition here, you'll need to get used to it.

V. mertensii get extremely familiar with humans (sometimes to their detriment- 2 that were happy to be hand fed by tourists at Wangi Falls became so fat they wore holes in their bellies. With fatal consequences.

Oh and lacies laugh out loud (a muted hiss) when you wiggle your fingers in front of their nose.

No problem, we do that here too, usually called ****ing with someone, or G rated- messing with someone/ pulling their leg, you usually give the new guy crap.

both spencer's and mertensi look like good choices, but being that the mertensi is highly aquatic, im sure they need heaps more room and a large basin of water. I will cross that bridge when in get there.
and im pretty sure the perentie are not only huge but also nasty and could end you pretty quick:rolleyes:. (hence the joke)

There are no short necked broad-headed monitors out there right? here the most popular are savannahs and black throats, they are just big, frumpy and mild mannered.

Also, what is a tamable, larger (not 100lbs) snake?

also how would you go from class-1 license to something more advanced?

sorry guys, asking questions about something that wont take place for who knows how long (just lost my job and can't find another regardless of my education and skills, don't come here unless you want to fist fight for a job pushing carts for minimum wage at age 47. p.s i just turned 22) soon as i can, i will move there, it's my lifelong dream (and no, its not about reptiles, roos' didgeridoos or other cliche' touristy crap.) and yes i know nothing is ever milk and honey and unicorn farts, but i know i will have a better chance there to thrive, i will work my hands to the bone to make a living.

Sorry again, no one asked my life story:oops::lol: i'm going to bed now- night, night.

Unicorn farts hahaha,love that!
Its good that your asking questions,i love questions,i just dont know the answers lol. Always pays to be prepared and know whats out there and what you can get once you move to Australia.

Boa
- A Spencers sounds like what you're looking for. Really does depend where you're planning on moving to though as regulations/licencing changes from state to state...

coastals can attain a pretty good size and are generally calm

Hey mate. If you're after a large species of relatively quiet monitor, a Spencers is definitely worth considering.
They certainly don't get as long as Perenties or Lacies, but they do pack on some chunk.

Our snakes certainly don't get as big as your retics and burms, but we still have some biggies over here.
I personally would recommend Olive pythons, Black headed pythons, Water pythons and Coastal carpets if you want a large and reasonably placid snake.
The Scrub python is the largest snake in Australia, but they can be a bit flighty and unpredictable.

In saying that, however, I have seen some beautifully natured Scrubs, and some not so friendly Olives, Waters, BHP's and Coastals.
Temperament has a lot to do with the individual.

Good luck with whatever you decide, mate.

Thanks guys, so it sounds like a Spencer is what im probably going to start with. as far as flighty animals? if they are young enough (and bites are not going to take chunks of meat from me) i can pretty much get anything calm, but i rather work with something that is more prone to becoming tame.

While im at it, where do you guys think i should start looking for a place to live in Australia? im a auto mechanic, i want to live in the suburbs, i want the price of housing/rent to be relatively low but want to live in a nice area (no riffraff) Over here in Illinois a few blocks could be you go from a nice wealthy area, to somewhere where you have a poor chance of coming home alive if your car stalls at night. (we have some of the highest crime, murders and drug OD's in the country/world) right now i live where there isn't too much crime, but virtually no jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back