does anyone here NOT use thermostats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use them. I don't use heating tho, so thats cheating.

I have 8 enclosures and only 3 on thermostat as I have the others set up so that it is not required.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

No thermostats. Cages are at ambient temp. I have a hot box that has a protected 25w red globe with a tile floor and a tile roof. Both tiles are warmed by globe. Snake can choose to enter the box and get heat from above of sit on roof and get heat from below or move away from box. A lot of the time the snake will have only part of the body on the roof or be partly inside box. Cheapest meathod I've ever used to set up and run and the snakes seem super healthy

I use timers through Winter! They work well for me! I might add that I bought a wood fire for the rep room! Spoilt little bu..ers!
I have had trouble with thermostats over the years and tend to shy away from them!

I don't use thermostat but I guess it depends on the enclosure size and layout. I imagine it would be difficult to regulate temperature without thermostat in a smaller enclosure. I have 3 halogen 12v 50w downlights in my enclosure, two are aimed at the basking spot on the right hand side and one is on the top part of the branch on the left hand side. Under the basking spot ledge is always dark and cool so the snake can escape the heat should she wants to. I have 3 hides, one directly under the heat, one in the coolest part of the enclosure (bottom right) and one on the bottom left where the ambient temperature is warm. In the middle of summer during the day I only have one light on (and sometimes no light at all if it's super hot) and in winter I'm planning to have all 3 lights on during the day. All lights are on timer and they're turned off at night.

attachment.php
attachment.php

we don't use thermostats at all in any of our enclosures...it just needs to be setup a certain way. Any questions pm me..

I have 17 enclosers Not running on thermostats though you need to check the temps often checking temps by touch is not efficent once you get the temps right theres no need to use thermostats

1 coastal & 5 Darwins, all on 25w heat cords, No thermostat, and all living happily in chilly Adelaide hills :) Its all in the set up as Steins has said.

Use the heatmat (preferably with thermostat or timer) for underbelly heat to heat the snake to its core from below. A basking light is for that, basking. In the wild a snake would lay on sun warmed rocks/logs etc (underbelly heat) in the sunshine (basking)

My diamonds and coastal have no thermostat. Basking reflector globe and the rest is ambient temp. Only think I don't like about not having a thermostat is that the basking temps vary depending on the ambient temp. On warm afternoons I find it can get pretty warm under the basking lamp (high 30's) and they'll all still stay under it instead of moving to a cooler area.

No heating overnight though so I think they're fine.

The only thermostat I have is in the click clack for the Olive....it just seemed to keep getting hotter and hotter in there despite a lot of ventilation.

I spent $150 on a good thermostat, it failed on a hot day, bye bye pair of white's skinks.

i dont use one. dont need it. im so paranoid about everything being right in the tank that im constantly checking his temps anyway.

I must be missing something...what's the advantage of not using one?

If you do not use one there is no chance of it failing, normally if you use a thermostat your heat source is to high wattage for that tank hence the need for the thermostat to maintain the tank at the right temperature.

I now use more heat cords and down light sort of heating for basking spot/enclosure heating so there is no chance that the enclosure will overheat and the reptiles still get the heat they need.

Those heat panels are really good for non thermostat setups too. I've just installed one and it creates an awesome hot spot directly underneath it but doesn't really affect the rest at all

As a new owner i am probably over cautious so use one as it brings a bit more comfort knowing it cant over heat and possibly burn my little one.

snakes and geckos are on a thermostat.

all my enclosures are quite large so even in the event of a thermostat failure the heat sources wont cook the critters, ive had a few thermostats fail and think its important to still use the lowest wattage heat source to achieve them temps.

(ie, i replaced 75W heat panels with 40W ones in the smaller enclosures, still gets the right temps but minimises cooking risk if the therm fails)

beardies and shingles arent on thermostats, i use different wattage globes depending on the season, ie 100W in winter, 60W in summer.

thanks everyone! all very helpful. I have decided i will keep it as it is with no thermo. He is 2 and a half and eats, sheds, poops so i must be doing something right lol. I was just curious as to how many people used them or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back