Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazzzylizard

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wandering what you guys thought was the best begginer snake, I've been looking at a woma but i want to here your thoughts

did u try doing a search ? as there are plenty of threads about this subject out there " in search land " . i dont think there are such things as best begginer snake , as each snake is diffrent - and all will bite given half the chance . its not a matter of if it will bite , its WHEN it will bite .

Get any python as a hatchie and you will be fine. Even an olive.

did u try doing a search ? as there are plenty of threads about this subject out there " in search land " . i dont think there are such things as best begginer snake , as each snake is diffrent - and all will bite given half the chance . its not a matter of if it will bite , its WHEN it will bite .

I tend to agree with you on the search function:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/search/search-id/2607218

I also agree with the biting - all my snakes I owned were placid beauties... All of which have bitten me in one way or another!

(when I say placid beauties I mean one was the spawn of satan, one was just generally angry at the world, one was to lazy to even open her mouth until you made her angry (in order to eat) and the other would hiss, scream, struggle etc....)

Anyway - my own thoughts on womas and BHPs are... They're good to look at, good to touch... but they don't let go!

I think all hatchy's have a tendency toward snappiness, lets face it they are small and it is their way of defending themselves. I love Coastals because out of my 5 the 3 Coastals are the most placid the 2 Jungles are the spawn of satan lol(not really but they tag all the time) The 2 14 month old Coastals I have had since they were 3 months old and the 2.5 year old Coastal I have had a couple of months and she is placid too, even though she wasnt handled much. Over all I have found them to be hardy and great to handle and look after :)

i think the best option is to start with something small like a childrens or stimson or anything like that, have it from a hatchling until you really understand the snake... with a small snake as a first snake even if it is the most aggressive snake in the world you wont have too many dramas, then once you are comfortable with that then you can progress to something larger...
honestly though, you can start with any snake you like, i think the most important thing is to get it from a hatchling so you really get to know the snake, if you buy an adult that is snappy it wont be a pleasant first experience as a snake owner...
all the best, i would just pick a snake that you would love to keep and get a hatchling, no point getting one that doesn't really appeal to you...

I am a beginner also,and i have gone with a Childrens. I cant give much feedback here as i dont pick her up until Saturday lol. I am still undecided on my next snake which i think is best. I want to get used to my first snake first,then go to the expo in Melbourne next year and have a look there,spend some money lol.

get a woma:D awesome little snakes to watch cruise around dont know how great they are as a first but im doing fine with both of mine

I recently bought a spotted python. Not too expensive - around $130. Doesnt grow too big. 1-1.2 metres. He is the most placid little guy. Never has bitten me. I handle him a few times a day when I get bored. When I was choosing him from the breeder ALL his brothers and sisters bit me at least once each this was the only snake that didnt bite me. He feeds great. The more you handle the snake the less frightened it will be. The bites dont hurt. They have tiny little mouths with pin like fangs. You dont need a huge cage straight away. A 7litre click clack will last it a good 8-12 months till it can go into a bit bigger enclosure.

get whatever you want to get, just get a young one. it's not like you buy a 30cm baby and 3 months later you have a 10ft monster. It takes years for them to get to that size. I have a bredli, she is my 1st snake, she's 2 years old, and i'll have had her for 2 years on the 21/5 this year. She is around 5ft, and I don't find her intimidating or anything like that. But if I had bought her at this size I would find her intimidating.
So IMO get whatever you fell like, as long as it's not too big when you get it.

Will

My 1st was a Worma, easy to feed, he dont bite, grows pretty fast and it has the best temperment and is fine for anyone to pick up and handle.

I agree hatchies are snappy. But it over comes any fear of being bitten. No worse than the scratches you get playing with kittens. I think people who get non snappy snakes first off make bad snake handlers. They always lack a certain confidence. Once you know nothing will happen you are more relaxed and the snakes seem to be more relaxed.

As long as you get the snake as a Hatchie it doesn't matter what species it is. This is because by the time the snake has reached a large size you should have gained enough experience to handle a larger snake and be comfortable with doing it. My first snake was a coastal and he's great!

That being said remember to do your research on each species being kept, as a general rule jungles and scrub pythons are snappier species then other species. This is not true for all snakes but is good to remember. Also I believe green tree pythons can be a difficult snake to raise from a hatchling as the snake be prone what’s called rectal prolapse, this is when the snakes bowl comes out of the snakes cloaca and can often be fatal.

And on that friendly note I will finish, hope this helped!

My first snake was a woma (hatchie) and a physcopath at that. very cage defensive and very food orientated. Once i had been bitten a few time i actually started finding it funny that he thought he could 'eat' me. Still pretty snappy but is definately calming with the more i handle him.
Since my woma i have bought 3 more hatchies (all childreni) all of which were not quite as snappy as my woma but 1 out of the 3 has had a go at biting and 1 was fine, loved getting handled straight away. The last one got angry at the start (hasn't bit yet) but calmed after a short while.
Just goes to show it all depends on the individual snake. not neccesarily the species!!

Pick the species you like the best, can meet adult housing/husbandry requirements and is in your budget. :)
Then post photos

thanks guys i wasn't worried about being bitten cause no matter what it will happen just wanted to no one that was easy enough to keep

like alot of people have posted it's based on the individual. My first snake was a spotted and it bit so much (for no reason) that now I dislike spotted pythons (and out of all of them i've seen (lots) i've never come across a nice one) and would never own one again. However i got a hatchie bredli and it was so sweet and so were all it's brothers and sisters and since having him he hasn't even attempted to bite. No matter if he's hungry, annoyed or if i use my hands to get him out he hasn't even looked like he's gonna bite. And i would gladly buy more of the same species however that's not to say he won't bite later in life or that if i get more of the same species that they will be as sweet. They could be even worse then my spotted is. :)

Last edited:
I just picked my albino Darwin hatchy up yesterday his cool as man. He just tags but his so small man you don't even feel it and only just draws blood ( don't let that put you off there amazing). My mate has a 2.5 y.o bredli his had it for 3 weeks and I hate it I refuse to hold it that's how aggressive it is. IMO hatchy all the way mate I just went for a expensive hatchy haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back