Exams - how do you get ready for them?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starr9

Reaction score
So I have an exam tomorrow and I was trying to work out different ways to help me study! One of the best ways I like to study is by getting white board markers and drawing on the windows and mirrors through the house! It wipes of no problems and its fun and different! I find I retain the information better and even my other half will ask me questions about the information I have around helping me to!!!

As a lot of people on here are doing further study, still at school or what ever I thought Id find out what you do to help you through exams!

What works for you that could help others through exam time?!?!

:D

I used to procrastastudy....

During study my house would be cleaner than ever before... My plants would be watered so well and their ability to attract sunlight maximised. My bed would be made, my room would be changed around, my washing done. And I'd even consider ironing too...

I guess this hasn't helped you one smidgen... However, I'll have you know I did pretty damned well in my exams :)

When making a study timetable make sure you add procrastination into it!

Lollies. Tons and tons of lollies.

I will be doing this for my next exam!!!!

I used to procrastastudy....

During study my house would be cleaner than ever before... My plants would be watered so well and their ability to attract sunlight maximised. My bed would be made, my room would be changed around, my washing done. And I'd even consider ironing too...

I guess this hasn't helped you one smidgen... However, I'll have you know I did pretty damned well in my exams :)

When making a study timetable make sure you add procrastination into it!

Bhahahaha!! I do the same thing! I think thats why I made this thread... much more fun then study!!!

I can type rather fast (over 100wpm) so the method I use to study is to re-type my lecture notes in a compressed format- just typing the critical information in dot points. Then if I had time I'd do another 'REALLY' compressed word document based on the first compressed document, and would then print that and read it over whilst waiting for the exam. Usually did this for anything that had to do with numbers- I suck with remembering numbers lol.

Managed to get me through 17 years of study (school and uni) without having to repeat anything :p

Interesting technique, Kitah. I can't type quite that fast, but I can type at about 80 wpm - maybe I should try that.

It might be more successful than chocolate and panic.

Works well for me, but each individual learns differently.. a lot of my class mates drew mind maps, tables, diagrams, hand wrote notes etc (I used to hand write everything but then started typing- and I prefer to keep all notes digitally now). My memory is reasonable in that I can quite often read something once and remember it, which saved a lot of time- so my 'super compressed' notes were essentially what was left that I couldn't remember, or that I had a strong suspicion would be on the exam.

And as to panic/stress etc.. The first two years of uni at every exam period (mid semester and end of semester exams) I ended up in the hospital emergency department, with excrutiating pain- seems as though when I get inadequate sleep, or am stressed (though I always used to deny it was stress) my body calls it quits and MAKES me stop! So I've since modified my 'techniques' and was FAR better off for it :) If you get stressed for example walk away for a little bit to calm down- if you get worked up but keep trying, you learn nothing and waste time- so far better to pause, relax, then start again afresh. I used to play with my cats when I had to do this :D

Also.. I'm rather like Slim6y as well.. Master of procrastination ;)

Last edited:
Kitah, I haven't figured out what technique works best for me yet. I haven't had to deal with uni-level exams before because my first degree was in media, where all the assessments were essays and assignments. Science is very, very different. I'm halfway through the semester, have had a tonne of information thrown at me in that time and have no idea how I'm going to remember it all. Like you, I am lucky in that I can often read something once and remember it (especially if I'm interested in it). Not always though, and that stuff just refuses to stick. I do get quite stressed, though not so badly that I end up in the emergency department!

I have two big problems. The first is that I'm a pedantic perfectionist. The other is that Procrastination is the realm of which I am Queen.

When I was studying Enviro last year I basically re wrote everything in my own notes. This helps me remember and after I did it I just kept reading over my notes. What also helps me remember the most is going through the information I remember in bed untill I fall asleep, and in the morning of the exam as you remember better when its fresh in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back