which side should go on the hot end.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
I have currently got 2 stimson hatchies atm. Ive never used these plastic tubs as click clack. So im wondering which side hot or cold should I have the end with 4x5x by both sides which equals 40 holes total 20 each side. Finally the same with the lid with holes on it approx 20 holes should it be on the hot or cold end. Is that ammount holes to much or ok. Or finally am I worrying to much. Sorry mods if this is in the wrong sec tion feel free to move to DIY. Cheers in advance guys.

I don't really 100% understand what your asking but I keep the water dishes at the cold end so they dont evaporate too quickly. I have those kritter keeper ones (you can use as fishtank etc from pet stores with the click on lids) don't worry about how many holes unless you have a buildup of moisture, tho I knew a few people who didn't care about the humidity and mould buildup from that either.

I've been trying to put pics up but can't seem to remember how to do it. If you go to my album under click clack you can see the 5 litre tub click clack.

The holes in the lid about even over the lid. I reckon the holes nearer the bottom at the cold end, higher at the warm end (so you dont get a pocket of hot air at top of warm end) although the lid holes would take care of that. I hope I understand that is the question you are asking.

With hatchies, I hope you didnt make the holes too big (I reckon about 3-4mm max)... they are real escape artists

Looking at your pictures in your album, in the second one you can see that has moisture build-up. Adding a few more holes will take care of that. You can slowly add more until your happy that their isn't too much build up of moisture as stimmies prefer not much humidity.
And as ratbag said about where the holes are located is about right with controlling heat and getting an ideal hot and cold end I recon.

Goodluck with the hatchies!

I just had a look at your album. Agree with Lizzy. Those holes are nearly too big for a hatchie. A good way of drilling small holes in plastic tubs, is to use a 3 or 4mm drill in a drill that can spin backwards. If you run the drill forwards (the usual way) you have to use a really old blunt drill so it doesnt 'bite' and split the plastic. The better way is to run the drill backwards and let the drill bit 'melt' itself thru.... slower than the propper way, but wont crack the plastic. Use a piece of wood in your spare hand against the inside of the plastic, so the plastic doesnt flex in as you push drill thru ;) Just drill heaps in the other end, should be right :)

If you dont have a drill that can go backwards like ratbag said and your worried about cracking the plastic, another way to make the holes nice is to use a soldering iron. I piked mine up from bunnings and paid $15 for it and it comes with 2 head pieces. Its good because it heats the plastic so you can then poke the head through so it shouldn't crack the plastic or anything. It also doesn't leave any sharp edges as it melts the plastic.

Yeah thanks guy for the help appreciate your help. The holes were done with a soldering iron. They look big because it's taken close up.

I just had a look at your album. Agree with Lizzy. Those holes are nearly too big for a hatchie. A good way of drilling small holes in plastic tubs, is to use a 3 or 4mm drill in a drill that can spin backwards. If you run the drill forwards (the usual way) you have to use a really old blunt drill so it doesnt 'bite' and split the plastic. The better way is to run the drill backwards and let the drill bit 'melt' itself thru.... slower than the propper way, but wont crack the plastic. Use a piece of wood in your spare hand against the inside of the plastic, so the plastic doesnt flex in as you push drill thru ;) Just drill heaps in the other end, should be right :)
so put more in which end the side with hole or without holes. How long would you keep Stimson Hachies in this set up for I'm thinking 18 months ok.

Last edited:
Have a look where most of the moisture build up is and that will give you an idea where it needs some more holes. Id think it would probably need more holes on the cooler side since I'm going to assume your waterbowl is there and that's what's causing the moisture build up.

As for how long... There is a general rule that the enclosure should be just a bit over half the snakes length to be ok, so you might need to get a bigger click clack depending on the growth rate of your snake, specially if you want to keep it in a click clack for 18 months. Id say probably at the 12 month mark (at the latest) you might want to get a bigger click clack for it.

You need more holes in the end that hasnt got any yet ;) Like lizzy says, the moisture tells you where the holes need to be most. I am not big on keeping snakes over about 5 months in click clacks... I step them up to a small enclosure as soon as they will go in it. My MDP went into a 450 x350x350 reptile 1 enclosure the day I bought him home (at 4 months old) he's happy :)

If the enclosure he went into was bigger, I would have put him in the enclosure in his click clack with the lid off (inside the bigger enclosure with door locked) He could then have decided where he wanted to live.

If I were you, I would start organising the 'real' enclosure you want to put them in, then when you think they are ready, put thier CC's in the big enclosure and let them choose. Lots of hides and nice warm temps is all they need, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back