Selective Breding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
I'm just throwing this question around to the serious breeders but not only directed at them. If you are breeding for certain traits ie colour,morphs,stripes or any reason you want. What would be acceptable. Father/Daughter, Mother/Son, Brother/Sisters or finally Half siblings/Half siblings same parents different clutch am I correct. If I'm wrong please correct me with proper discription of half siblings. If I also left out any please feel free to add on and give a summary of what they are as in 2nd generation etc. I heard from certain people who breed saying breeding siblings is ok, as in the wild snakes don't go far from were they were hatched. So for that reas for that reason in the wild their is a big chance that happens in the wild. So for that reason they put siblings together to get strong genes. I don't agree but seems logical. I would like some serious feedbacks please from you breeders what you think is acceptable and what you would or do put together. Also is this method called line breeding or inbreeding please clarify which method it is. Are they same or different. If different which is strongly required to get the best traits. Cheers guys

Last edited:
This is a ninth generation mac meeting his daughter this morning. The dad was origianally paired to a fourth generation female to produce the daughter he is mating with.

No banjo's playing yet!

Attachments

• e&d1.jpg
    e&d1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 115
I heard from certain people who breed saying breeding siblings is ok,as in the wild snakes don't go far from were they were hatched. So for that reas for that reason in the wild their is a big chance that happens in the wild. So for that reason they put siblings together to get strong genes. I don't agree but seems logical

Doesn't seem logical to me at all. Google basic genetics for selective breeding.

i do some selective breeding with my knobtail geckos color and pattern etc seems to working well pruducing some very nice animals

I believe that multi generation breeding is ok to a certain piont. I do not know where that piont ends.
I would accept that mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister is all ok as this is what is called line breeding for a certain trait.
Personally after that & when you have got the trait that you want, then i would outcross to bring in different bloodline to help keep the breed strong.
I have heard of family trees for 3 generations or more. It also depends on how strong the breed is & where you want go with it.

Cheers
Ian

I'm just throwing this question around to the serious breeders but not only directed at them. If you are breeding for certain traits ie colour,morphs,stripes or any reason you want. What would be acceptable. Father/Daughter, Mother/Son, Brother/Sisters or finally Half siblings/Half siblings same parents different clutch am I correct. If I'm wrong please correct me with proper discription of half siblings. If I also left out any please feel free to add on and give a summary of what they are as in 2nd generation etc. I heard from certain people who breed saying breeding siblings is ok, as in the wild snakes don't go far from were they were hatched. So for that reas for that reason in the wild their is a big chance that happens in the wild. So for that reason they put siblings together to get strong genes. I don't agree but seems logical. I would like some serious feedbacks please from you breeders what you think is acceptable and what you would or do put together. Also is this method called line breeding or inbreeding please clarify which method it is. Are they same or different. If different which is strongly required to get the best traits. Cheers guys

Line breeding, a lot of breeders do it but personally I disagree with the practice. With all the arguments against hybrids I would think that a few people would have taken into account the damage done genetically with line breeding. RI is a big one that is becoming obvious especially with the albino's were line breeding was done for fast results (this will prob be met with aggressive disagreement).
It is feasable to do it with cousins but parent to sib is re-enforcing any genetic make up inc the weaknesses. I read somewhere that rattle snakes will avoid a directly related snakes. I could go on about this for some time but I have to get back to work. Just a thought if there was nothing wrong with it then why is it illegal for humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back