Frog or toad ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
79de93ea-d8ea-fc4c.jpg

79de93ea-d8fd-b80f.jpg

Can someone ID this frog/toad please. We've had a couple of them around lately.

Thanks guys, I think that's what it is. Very cute tiny little frogs!

Yep Opisthodon/Limnodynastes ornatus
Well whatever the scientific name may be, its an Ornate Burrowing Frog.

Snakeluvr it's now platyplectrum

Do you live out Kelso way? I used to see these guys all the time when I lived out there. Saved a couple from being eaten by canetoads too, although I let the the tree snakes keep whatever they caught. They used to come out in droves during the wet season.

Yeah I'm in kelso. They are everywhere and I saw heaps when we put mulch down in our gardens a while ago. We put him in the grass and he seemed happy enough. Very very cute.

Certainly not a cane toad ;) Makes you wonder how many of these particular animals are mistaken for them though :(

That's why they changed the way they do the annual 'cane toad cull' now. The toads have to be brought in alive and are euthanised by the organisers because in earlier years they were getting too many of these frogs in with the toads.

I must admit my other half immediately thought it was a baby cane toad but I knew they didn't have the stripe. :)

people see the brown colour and squash them. My Dad always asks me to ID the smaller ones cause he cant tell. I just tell him to pick it up! If it feels dry and rough then it's a toad! Love my froggies, great pic

If it feels dry and rough then it's a toad!

Not a very good ID strategy many Australian frgos can feel dry and rough. Especially some of the Burrowing Frog, and Uperoleia species with the latter especially being easy to mistake for a toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back