Spotted or Stimsons Python?? help me out :S

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creesa96

Not so new Member
Reaction score
im having trouble deciding on whether to get a stimmi or a spotted? can anyone tell me the good and bads of them both? thanks :D

Stimmi by far. They grow smaller, I've heard nothing but good about them, They look way better and there's so much more variety as far as colours and patterns go compared to spotteds. Spotted's are bitches in my experience and I've never come across a nice one and they do get rather larger and aren't nearly as appealing as stimmi's (IMO)

Last edited:
Ditto... Check out our Noodles... most passive snake ever and 8 years later can go a few weeks without handling and still come out and play or lay about with us... has never been a fussy eater... still as pretty today - as in holding her colour and pattern well..

They're pretty identical in terms of temperament (can get snappy ones and can get placid ones). Only real difference is stimmies have better patterning (sometimes) and are slightly smaller. Get whichever you think looks better, or get both.

I've held lots of both and by far the more placid are the Stimson's. I've been told Spotteds can be aggro and if you don't keep handling them often they can be a pain to get a good temperament again. I don't own either (went with Children's) but I'm going to be looking for some Stimson's when I get to Brissie later in the year. Wouldn't buy a Spotted these days and prefer the looks of the Stimson's over them anyway.
Personal opinion and experience. Yours may well be different, so good luck with whichever you decide on. :)

I have a spotted (blonde) and could not ask for a better snake. My young kids can handle him and he eats and sheds very well. It don't really matter what u get as all snakes have differant temperaments it's pot luck. Spend time with them look after them well and you should end up with a good friend for a long time. Good luck and have fun.

iv got a spotted and he is incredibly snappy and temperamental. no matter how much time i spend with him he never gets any better. i like the look of stimmies better as well

I have had experience with both, I however had not owned a Stimmie so cannot comment to much on their temperament. The ones I have been with though, have had a great nature, easy to handle, normally good feeders/slough etc. I own a spotted and I love her, she is easy to handle most of the time, but sometimes does not like to be. In saying this, she has never bitten/striked out or been close to biting us, all she does is puffs her body up but then moves away, it is nothing major.

Anyway as Red-Ink said, whichever you prefer/looks the coolest or whatever then you should go for it :)

+1 to pretzels that describes my spotted perfectly (and the many other spotted's i've heard/seen of). Good on those lucky people for getting the rare "nice spotted" lol but it's very common to see someone with a nice stimmi.

+1 to pretzels that describes my spotted perfectly (and the many other spotted's i've heard/seen of). Good on those lucky people for getting the rare "nice spotted" lol but it's very common to see someone with a nice stimmi.

bit jipped. the research i did before getting him and people i asked all said spotted were just as good to handle as stimmies and that childrenis were the worst.
oh well the little bugger will learn to love me!!! haha

haha mine (finally learnt) to love me a few months ago but then i left him for two weeks because he was shedding then eating then digesting then after that he was even more agro when i first got him! So dissappointed and this time he was bigger and he actually drew blood lol (didn't hurt but itched alot) lol he was even more agro then when i first got him and he'd only been handled a few times in his life ... he still hasn't calmed down -__-

same with pretzels. he was handled by the breeder( apparently) and then hardly at all at the petshop and when we got him home he was handled a fair bit but never got any better then he went thru his shed and feeding so we left him for awhile and he got so much worse! he was actually fairly well behaved last night when i moved him back into his enclosure from the CC but i think thats because he was so happy to be out of the little tub!! lol

three out of four spotteds i have owned have been grea . And four for four with the stimmys i think its all much of a muchness

Noodles Rocks

Noodles is the best snake eva! Not trying to convince you much but 8 years later and we still love him to bits, he's so chillax'd!
Go the Stimmi, then you get the choice of a windorah or a wheatbelt? lol...

Attachments

• DSCF2618.jpg
    DSCF2618.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 79
  • I like this log this is a nice log Noodles.jpg
    I like this log this is a nice log Noodles.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF2085.jpg
    DSCF2085.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 84
We have both, would definitely say Stimmies if you don't want the chance of a snappy snake....we have not had a baby spotted yet that wasn't snappy until they were older and been handled lots

Another vote for stimmie. Always been SO happy with them, ALWAYS get snapped at by spotteds. We have 5, two windorah and 3 wheatbelt and they're all beautiful.

hahah ^^ yea pretzels got out of his big enclosure the other day. little **** that he is managed to squish himself in the process. i learnt my lesson tho! even if you dont think they can get out they will ALWAYS find a way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back