Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, thats what I reckon too.

I was gunna throuw something else in the ring but hey, you said you don't mind being bitten so that means what I was gunna say is redundant.

As to what species is the "easiest" to keep, well I guess you first need to look at what is on a class one licence anyway and that is a good start. Except of course, Diamonds kept the wrong way just go an die on you so be careful with those. I dont know where you live so that doesn't help either (a very common trait of early posters here). Diamonds kept ourside in their local habitat do actually seem to do OK. And same with Scrubbies in NQ.

I have always said the same things to people wanting their first snake (but I will modify this to adjust for the fact you are happy to be bitten). Start with what you want to keep the snake in. Do you want to keep it outside? Clearly you can't keep a Chondro outside in Melbourne. that one makes it fairly easy. If you want to keep it outside you MUST buy a local species. Otherwise you are fine. Just consider heating requirements for a tropical species. Cheaper to keep something you can cool over winter.

Afer that thing about the size. Again, an Antaresia will be happier in a much smaller cage with much lower heating costs. BUT the negative there is that they don't have the "impact" of a larger Morelia.

The last thing is the look of the snake coupled with eh size of the snake. Maybe you are a millionaire with a hankerig for the unusual. well then, get an Albino Darwin for a jag Carpet.

If you like the look, size and money of a woma then get one. There is no guarantee of a hatchy turning out to be snapy or not. Those of us that have raised lots of snakes (all exactly the swame way) will kow that some turn out snappy and soem don't. Get used to it. If you really want a snake that doesn't bite then my advice will be the opposite of everyone elses here (and that is not unusual on this site) and buy an adult with a known personality.

Now if you do buy a placid adult then also understand that it will most likely not eat for the first three months that you get it. So don't then post on here asking for what to do. Just keep hime safe and secure. Let him hide. He is stressed and just needs to understand his new surroundings. He can easily go 3 months without food.

Oh, and did I mention that I have laready consumed a bottle of red wine tonight? Please take my comments for what they are worth.

i reckon whatever you get just make sure you go through a proper breeder and handle the snake before bringing it home.my first snake is a spotted and he is super snappy and nasty and all his clutch mates are the same. i got him from a petshop and didnt handle him before he came home * big mistake*

exactly the same? :lol: Python-lover4lyf i see you in every thread are you following me ;) what brreds do yuou own?

I love all snakes but for a first I would go a woma; I have had 4 friends now who were TERRIFIED completely of snakes, and afetr getting aquainted with my young woma, they have changed completely!! Three of them wont touch my morelia`s or even my friendly as a dog beardie, but love holding the woma, have just helped 2 of these friends get their reptile license, and taking one of them down on friday to buy their first woma. They truly are one of a kind in the reptile world, my woma will come out of his enclosure onto my hand, crawl across the floor toward me, and actually seems to almost enjoy human contact. Can`t recommend them highly enough!!

haha my mates woma used to be funny like that too used to wag its tail when we walked into the room haha

my bredli is a great handler my jungle likes taging my phone while in using it

glad its ahatchie or id probably loose my phone haha

Sent from my iPhone

Yer it's okay he is a bit wild when getting him out but that's just because his defending himself but his getting use to it and has settled in awesome not stressed at all loves coming out and moving around

OK so here are pictures (if I managed to attach them) of my Woma and my Lace Monitor. As you will see the woma is ballistic. You go near the thing and it whacks you. The lacie on the other hand can be hand fed. From all the arguments I see for and against friendly species it seems to be that if you own one and it's placid then that makes it a placid species. What crap!!! If that is the case then from my experience the best first reptile is a Lace Monitor.

Every reptile species has good ones and bad ones. It's jsut the individual animal. Just like a dog.

Attachments

• Woma.jpg
    Woma.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Lace.jpg
    Lace.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back