Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
I'm hearing conflicting stories on the legality of feeding a snake live food. For the record, I don't plan to. So this is purely an academic discussion.

The reptile park near Gosford, NSW breeds & sells snakes (Google: Snakeranch). On their site, they have a "how to" section on heating, etc but this also discusses feeding, including descriptions on how to offer LIVE food. Is it only illegal in certain states? If not, where has so much discussion about it being illegal come from?

Mark.

i read a thread on here a few months back maybe longer and basically after alot of pages and people saying it is , it isn't no one could show any reference to any sort of law stating it is illegal only one from the RSPCA i think it was that said it was a RECOMMENDATION ONLY to feed dead prey because of the risks involved with feeding live so yea it isnt illegal but is frowned upon unless its absolutely necessary

Yeah pretty much you can feed live prey as a last resort.
Feeding lizards and frogs I thought was illegal

Last edited:
Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

Is feeding live prey legal?

The legality of feeding live mice to reptiles depends upon the relevant State/Territory legislation and relevant code of practice. In some States, the code recommends that reptiles should not be fed live food for their own protection and all vertebrate-eating reptiles must be encouraged to take dead food. In others it is recommended that: live vertebrates are not used as a food unless they are required absolutely as a food source by a species or individual animal; live rodents should not be left in a reptile enclosure overnight or for an extended period; and wild-caught rodents should not be used. However, these codes of practice are not enforceable by law and are therefore recommendations only.

Hhhhmm, illegal no, but an unpleasant, somewhat cruel and most often than not unnecessary. I have heard all sorts of reasons to justify the desire to watch a snake kill and devour live prey, really I think it should be a last resort. Often safer for the snake and more humane (ironic word - humans are the cruelest) for the prey. Probably not a legal question but an ethical one.

I can't say I've read anywhere that it is illegal but pet shops will tell people that it is. And so they should. I don't like seeing ppl flaunt live feeding.

Obversely we all are a ware that hunting/ eating live pray is a natural instinct. So really feeding live pray to ur snake isn't a big deal. But being human gives us the ability to humanly do the right thing by the rat and also protecting our snakes from any potential harm.i don't think it's hard to justify feeding live pray to ur snake what can't be justified is allowing the pray to be striked at a number of times. To avoid that wait 5 or so days after a poo has passed before attempting a live feed. We shouldn't condemn or criticize people for live feeds for all we know it may be a instinct that they need to fore full to be content with the contained environment they are kept in.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c1fsux

It is not illegal..... but it is risky for your snake.
Every govt reg I have read says it is 'last resort' only.... and it is frowned on by most (myself included) herps I know.
In the wild, a snake knows nothing but live prey (generally) so thier skills at striking and coiling very quickly & efficiently so as to reduce the risk of the lunch injuring the snake. Everyone knows a cornered animal (ie rat) will go ballistic if given the chance.... and rats teeth are exceptional weapons. If someone is silly enough to put a live young adult or over rat in with thier snake.... they are asking for the snake to be injured, imo.
1/ the snake and rat can see each other.... so no element of suprise, rat will prepare to fight.
2/ Our snakes arent always (mine especially) good shots, so would likely grab the rodent so as it can fight (might not realise the rat will defend itself) and thus risk injury to snake
3/ Feeding live pinkies or fuzzies although wont effectively fight the snake, I personally think is just cruel and unneccessary, as 'home made snakes' (mine anyway) seem to constrict out of instinct/habbit... they dont seem to be actually constricting... just 'going thru the motions' so they would effectively really be eating the pinkie/fuzzy alive :shock:
I personally would only ever feed live if there was NO other option available. People who do it for 'entertainment' are just sick, imo.

Not that I advocate live feeding AT ALL, but realistically, who's going to do anything about it? Do you really think the cops are going to turn out in force because you essentially killed a rodent? And does anyone here actually think the RSPCA would bother wasting their precious profits (oops, I mean "resources") over something that's not a fuzzy kitten in a drainpipe, or a pomeranian trapped in an impossibly cute situation?

To answer your question though, I think as it stands (at least in victoria) it is theoretically illegal to feed live unless the snake is actually going to starve to death.

I don't know of anywhere that live feeding is illegal but it is seriously frowned upon due to the ethics involved.
I am not an advocate of live feeding but it is an option for a snake who steadfastly refuses to eat but should not be undertaken haphazardly and never leave the animals alone together.

I think back but a few weeks ago to a request on this site for help for a snake that had been attacked quite severely by a rat that had been left alone in the tank. Don't be in any doubt, a rat has the capacity to kill a snake.

Live feeding is not illegal. Frowned upon yes, illegal no. As far as I know though, it is illegal to feed native and protected animals. Asian house geckos and a limited number of garden skinks are allowed, and fish too. Oh, and "flowerpot snakes" - not native.

So i've read, it's ileagle in australia to feed live rats and mice to your reptiles. But thats what i've only read, it was in a Pet Barn catalogue...

Where does all this 'wait til they poop before feeding'?? I dont wait to poop before I eat? My cat doesnt? My snakes dont? :rolleyes: Why should people think thier snakes need to poop before they eat? Is there any doccumentation in support of this?

. To avoid that wait 5 or so days after a poo has passed before attempting a live feed. We shouldn't condemn or criticize people for live feeds for all we know it may be a instinct that they need to fore full to be content with the contained environment they are kept in.
Maybe what Madaz is saying by waiting for the snake to poop. Madaz is saying that it might be hungry then so try live feeding at that stage to try minimize injury to the snake. Because if the snake is full and only strikes but not constrict. Then there for the prey might fight back and cause injury to the snake. I'm thinking that's what he ment. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just interpreting what I think Madaz wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back