Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obversely we all are a ware that hunting/ eating live pray is a natural instinct. So really feeding live pray to ur snake isn't a big deal. But being human gives us the ability to humanly do the right thing by the rat and also protecting our snakes from any potential harm.i don't think it's hard to justify feeding live pray to ur snake what can't be justified is allowing the pray to be striked at a number of times. To avoid that wait 5 or so days after a poo has passed before attempting a live feed. We shouldn't condemn or criticize people for live feeds for all we know it may be a instinct that they need to fore full to be content with the contained environment they are kept in.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c1fsux

We are all aware that a snake in the wild vs a snake in an enclosure are two different things.In a cage predator and prey have no means of retreat/escape.It's a recipe for disaster not to mention a very cruel and unnecessary practice.

So i've read, it's ileagle in australia to feed live rats and mice to your reptiles. But thats what i've only read, it was in a Pet Barn catalogue...
go back and read page one again , click on the green links . its not recomeneded to live feed - illegal [ grey area] able to enforce - nope . there would be pepole on here who live feed , if they dont say anying how would u know ;)

In WA under condition 13 of our licence it say

NO LIVE VERTEBRATE ANIMALS ARE TO BE USED AS FOOD FOR PET HERPETOFAUNA HELD UNDER THIS LICENCE.

Cap rat bag. Ur 1 of many lackin common sense. Mayb u haven't read that in a book or net so it's wrong right? So crapping, means it's finished digesting it's meal (google it)and its ready for more. Wouldn't it?? meanin if,......(each to there own) feeding that snake live prey the chances of a 1 hit strike are greatly increased. I see a lot of smart ideas and common sense being bagged on this site so I assume that's from ppl who tend to think they know more than they do,have really no clue at all or are teens and we know they know all. My advice is 2 nd hand from a mate who knows and supplied places like snake ranch with a lot of there original breeding stocks some 10yrs 15yrs ago. Most ur w.a breeds he supplied..most of these now big breeders started off with permitted wild caught snakes who were put in cages right!? So to feed the snakes what did they do?? Let them out to feed??? They waited til they shat then they knew they were ready.. I'm 35yrs of age and was given a 5ft carpet at the age of 6 1/2.. i have had taipans,r.b.blacks, and browns and at least 40odd pythons since that 1st snake.well before most of you would of been thought of and way before breeding and keeping herps was popular. I'm not one to pretend or post useless information or bag ppls views or ways but I em quite happy to bite back at those who have very narrow minds. Thank u to those who understand where I was coming from. I will add i feed my snakes frozen food but if I needed to I would feed live food to help preserve the life of any herp.

Ramsayi. My mate supplies most these big breeders eg. Snake ranches w.a black headeds, woma's with wild caught snakes on permit. So they went into cages right? Do u think they ate dead mice/ rats straight away? Or did they let the snake out in the yard to feed? I think It can be cruel just like the way they may kill the cow for ur quarter pounder over seas compared to how it's done here. Sometimes herp breeders may have to feed live food to herps. Following what I suggested takes away the cruel factor and allows the snake to follow it's natural instinct therefore preserving that reptiles life. Or would u prefer the snake to starve?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bh4afj

And still workin out how to use this site on my phone :)

Last edited:
some people live feed by choice some live feed by need. I personally have a pickie eater and will only take live prey even after 15 years in captivity. I also have pythons and vens that take fresh kill and frozen thawed so i use that option. All of my hatchies are offered frozen thawed first three feed attempts then live pinkies if they havent taken any then weaned onto frozen thawed at earliest stage possible. up until recently i only ever live fed feeling it was better for snake to hunt but i have recently been proven wrong and now frozen thaw or fresh kill from now on

my ex girl friends sister had a children's python and it would not eat dead pray so the only way to get it to feed was feeding it live mice but as the other post say its the individual snake that depends

Cap rat bag. Ur 1 of many lackin common sense. Mayb u haven't read that in a book or net so it's wrong right? So crapping, means it's finished digesting it's meal (google it)and its ready for more. Wouldn't it?? meanin if,......(each to there own) feeding that snake live prey the chances of a 1 hit strike are greatly increased. I see a lot of smart ideas and common sense being bagged on this site so I assume that's from ppl who tend to think they know more than they do,have really no clue at all or are teens and we know they know all. My advice is 2 nd hand from a mate who knows and supplied places like snake ranch with a lot of there original breeding stocks some 10yrs 15yrs ago. Most ur w.a breeds he supplied..most of these now big breeders started off with permitted wild caught snakes who were put in cages right!? So to feed the snakes what did they do?? Let them out to feed??? They waited til they shat then they knew they were ready.. I'm 35yrs of age and was given a 5ft carpet at the age of 6 1/2.. i have had taipans,r.b.blacks, and browns and at least 40odd pythons since that 1st snake.well before most of you would of been thought of and way before breeding and keeping herps was popular. I'm not one to pretend or post useless information or bag ppls views or ways but I em quite happy to bite back at those who have very narrow minds. Thank u to those who understand where I was coming from. I will add i feed my snakes frozen food but if I needed to I would feed live food to help preserve the life of any herp.

Ramsayi. My mate supplies most these big breeders eg. Snake ranches w.a black headeds, woma's with wild caught snakes on permit. So they went into cages right? Do u think they ate dead mice/ rats straight away? Or did they let the snake out in the yard to feed? I think It can be cruel just like the way they may kill the cow for ur quarter pounder over seas compared to how it's done here. Sometimes herp breeders may have to feed live food to herps. Following what I suggested takes away the cruel factor and allows the snake to follow it's natural instinct therefore preserving that reptiles life. Or would u prefer the snake to starve?

Your dribbling rubbish in your first post and this one. Does a snake having a crap improve its aim? :lol: I dont care what your mate has done, that doesnt change the fact your jumping to obscure conclusions. In a wild situation prey rarely see whats coming, in a captive environment the prey item is often aware and ready for the attack (increasing the chance of damaging bites to your snake).
Anyone with half a clue can get wild caught snakes onto dead prey, including WA blackheads (ive done it multiple times).

Ive fed live pinks on occasion to hatchling Antaresia i was struggling with but only as a last resort. Its often only necessary once for the snake to get the taste then they readily accept dead food. I dont have a huge issue with it being done when necessary but felt the need to point out the many massive holes in your logic :lol:

Have a nice day.

I think that would imply a more interested feed and a faster dispatch of poor mouse. Never ever feed a live rat to a snake, to many grizzly photo's on that one to risk that.

As a condition of our licence if we were to be caught feeding live vertibrate animals to our pets we could have our licence cancelled and our pets taken. We can also be charged with breaking conditions of our licence in a court of law. So my guess is that a condition of our licence is a legal requirement. We have some bad regs in WA, such as we must allow a DEC officer to inspect our home at any time without notice. Pets are not to be kept in bathrooms or bedrooms. These are just a few stupid regs and failure to comply meens possible loss of licence and pets

As a condition of our licence if we were to be caught feeding live vertibrate animals to our pets we could have our licence cancelled and our pets taken. We can also be charged with breaking conditions of our licence in a court of law. So my guess is that a condition of our licence is a legal requirement. We have some bad regs in WA, such as we must allow a DEC officer to inspect our home at any time without notice. Pets are not to be kept in bathrooms or bedrooms. These are just a few stupid regs and failure to comply meens possible loss of licence and pets

I remember 15 years back when if you were to move or disturb any reptile that includes moving it of the road you could be fined up to $4000 per item. Talk about harsh!

I remember 15 years back when if you were to move or disturb any reptile that includes moving it of the road you could be fined up to $4000 per item. Talk about harsh!
I believe this is still the in WA if you do not have a Reg 17

My advice is 2 nd hand from a mate who knows and supplied places like snake ranch with a lot of there original breeding stocks some 10yrs 15yrs ago. Most ur w.a breeds he supplied..

Madaz - do you mind me asking who is your collector mate that supplied snake ranch with their breeding stock 15 years ago?

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bh4afj

And still workin out how to use this site on my phone :)

thats a pretty cool link with your full address listed.
If you would like it removed please flag your post with the triangle icon undeneath post and ask a moderator to remove it

Last edited:
I was doing an overnight strip out at Erina Fair 12 years ago on the 17/18 July. On my way home I saw a glow coming from the ridge at Somersby. That was ARP being destroyed by fire. The rebuild saw them obtaining numerous animals from many sources.

Ok Colin, that should be stripout...:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it, but many people do feed pinkies to herps, even bearded dragons! This is just sick but, I mean, weather you pre kill it, or live feed it, it dies anyway. Reptiles get enrichment from chasing prey, no that this should be mandatory.I give my snakes 1 mouse per year. Why dont we carry on with "saving the crickets"? Because they arent fuzzy or cute. we might as well get over it, no single group of people will stop the market. Its just something we have to live with.

I was doing an overnight strip out at Erina Fair 12 years ago on the 17/18 July. On my way home I saw a glow coming from the ridge at Somersby. That was ARP being destroyed by fire. The rebuild saw them obtaining numerous animals from many sources.

yes that was a sad day Peter. you were doing an overnight strip at Erina? :lol:
Im sure they did source reptiles from many sources for snake ranch but not 15 years ago.

I hate to say it, but many people do feed pinkies to herps, even bearded dragons! This is just sick but, I mean, weather you pre kill it, or live feed it, it dies anyway. Reptiles get enrichment from chasing prey, no that this should be mandatory.I give my snakes 1 mouse per year. Why dont we carry on with "saving the crickets"? Because they arent fuzzy or cute. we might as well get over it, no single group of people will stop the market. Its just something we have to live with.

there is an ethical way to euthanise rodents so whether they are pre killed or live actually does matter quite a bit.. Live adult or semi adult rodents can do serious damage to reptiles if left unattended in a tub or enclosure.

what enrichment to reptiles get from chasing prey? most snakes and pythons dont "chase prey" and use their striking ability to capture food items from coiling the food item or injecting venom.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned that live feeding occurs in nature. That is true but both predator and prey can escape from one another. In the confines of a cage this is not the case. Many years ago I saw a diamond python mauled by a live rat that had been left in there as dinner. I am not sure whether the rat escaped the initial strike or was grabbed by the wrong end and not subdued sufficiently before it could do some serious damage, resulting in the snake releasing it. Either or, the snake was in a bad way and the rat was huddled in the opposite corner of the cage.

In the wild, there is often a struggle involved in carnivores feeding, which not uncommonly can result in injury and sometimes even death of the predator rather than the prey. I think it is important to recognise that what we do with our animals in captivity is not natural. There is no validity in any argument that says “but it is only natural”. What is valid is to do that which is best for the well being of the captive animal, without interfering with nature at the same time. Not being natural, we also have responsibility for any animals under our control. A concluding example – I did not read it but there was an article about someone who had shown a video of themselves swallowing a live gold fish and they were to be prosecuted as a result.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back