MICE & RAT's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just go back from town
The pet shops buys them for
Mice pinkies = 15 for $10
Live mice (eating by them selves) $1.00
Live rats $2.00
So what's the diffrents between breeding rats
To mice
And I can get a soda stream for
30 bucks 2end hand

RE:- Life span

I once read a scientific paper which suggested females who were not breeding continuously were usually the ones to die younger. It goes on to explain that their bodies were created in such that they should be constantly breeding.

Just a side note I though people may enjoy.

Well just go back from town
The pet shops buys them for
Mice pinkies = 15 for $10
Live mice (eating by them selves) $1.00
Live rats $2.00
So what's the diffrents between breeding rats
To mice
And I can get a soda stream for
30 bucks 2end hand
well rats are bigger - so that means they eat more then mice = food cost vrs an extra $1 [ compard to mice] id go mice over rats .
i sell more mice then i use [ i normaly sell off 80+ every month] - that pays for the rodent food + i put some $$ away for summer - when the a/c in the rodent shed is used .[ i breed rats too - but i dont sell them]

I might stick to mice but 1 buck
I might sell them for 1.50 and a nice mate
Email me were I can get some lab mice its looking good

well i get bac to you's when i get back to school
thanks for all your guys help
Peace
*Blake*

Hey guys
I just got a garden shed
So if this little project go's good I might
Be Lismore new mice breeder
But the smell 0_o
I was thinking of putting 2-3 of those vents in like you see on camber vans
Any thing eles to try and keep the smell down

Ceiling fans to help move the air around to the vents as well and very regular cleaning of the tubs will help. We have an exhaust fan to push the air through as well.

you will struggle with temps in a garden shed in Lismore - to cold in winter and to hot in summer. Just something else to think about ;)

Goodluck :)

dam
but i have a camping heater and aircon
might use that that runs of the sun

well i got 2 frozon pinkies today for 1.90
i was going to post a pic but the head is all boody

sorry 1.90 each

I'd get at least 4 does to one buck. They will happily raise litters together in one nest, when they get pregnant just leave them to it. They don't need antenatal classes :p

Dsc_0421.jpg
hi luv reading this thread got a question Saz, what have you got for bedding for them? It looks like chaff! is it cheap?

My Rattie girls all share their litters (i house them with two girls to a maternity ward cage)...it's funny to watch one mum with 20 bubs trying to find a food spot!

It is lucerne chaff. You can get it from produce stores that stock horse feed. From memory it is around $40 a huge bag? Smells great.

Saz is spot on.

Captainratbag, Saz already posted the quote where a question is raised by the OP about if it is OK to freeze live.

An appropriate diet for an omnivore is not a staple of frozen vegetables. I suggest using a rat and mouse pellet from the pet shop and supplement with any scraps you have. Pellets have been formulated to be a complete and appropriate diet for rodents and will give your mice the bast chance of being healthy and good mums. That being said I don't like many pet shop rodent 'mixes'. They aren't balanced like the pellets, and all that green lucerne chaff gets wasted as the rodents barely eat it. Fancy Feast is a good mix though if you only have a few mice to feed. With only a few mice the rodent pellets will last you AGES though and your rodents will be much healthier than feeding them a random mix of non balanced foods. Frozen peas and corn with a few other scraps and no meat is not in any way a complete or balanced diet.

Inbreeding rodents is the best tool we have to produce consistant, reliable and good natured rodents who are good mothers. When you inbreed you quickly expose any hidden genetic floors, which you then cull, and you are left with babies that do not have floors, who become your future breeders. If you keep inbreeding each generation, your mice will improve as it allows you to select towards all the positive traits that you want in your mice (not eating babies, getting along with other mice, being good mums, being friendly and inquisitive to humans etc).

Being advised that you must use unrelated mice at all times is both unrealistic as well as poor advice. Inbreeding rodents is not the same as inbreeding other species. There are no long term negative effects at all once you have culled off any initial floored mice that pop up.

I euthanise using soda stream Co2 or by donking them on the head. Donking is instant, which is why I like it. Gassing takes a little longer and I only do it when I am culling large numbers. Sarah's method with the BOC cylinder is fantastic because you can regulate the amount co2 being used at each stage. The soda stream is difficult to regulate and there can be times where the rodents don't go unconscious as quickly as you would hope.

All I can say is be careful who you take information from! If this is a school project them you will be interested in learning correct information. You won't find a better source than Saz.

Some people try any idea that pops into their head, and because the rodents didn't die they assume what they do is fantastic and appropriate to pass on to other people as 'the way things should be done'. This doesn't mean their methods are based on fact.
Co2 - How long does it last? ie what size tub Qty how many rats/mice fit in it - lasts X-rats/mice for a week/month/year?

It lasts me about a month or 2 with my setup. Can fit 3-4 jumbos or 10 or so weeners (more if I wanted to cram) I am not a huge rat producer (quantity wise) so this setup has done me well. The unit cost $69 at woolies, the tub (10L) was $9 and a bit of hose.... small on the soda stream and a bigger hose to the tub. A new cartridge costs about $12 from woolies (exchange) The lid just has a hole for the hose and a couple of 5mm vent holes.
The gas comes out dry, so a little puff gets them on thier way..... after they are out, I give a 10 second burst, wait 5 minutes then another big burst.... then about 15 min later.... one final burst. Start to finish about half an hour. Very quick & efficient.... appears painless

Sodastream april 21 2012 002.jpg

I prefer to do it this way as I dont like to belt them on or with anything & the folks I supply like it that there are no bloodied noses nor brocken necks/bodies.

Attachments

• Sodastream april 21 2012 006.jpg
    Sodastream april 21 2012 006.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
you know i agree with most points that captainratbag is raising. yes if you consistantly breed the rats/mice without giving them a break and culling any of the ones that begin to become sickly you do create stronger mice. but the whole idea of using these animals as little super efficiant machines turns me off. weither you like it or not, these mice/rats you are breeding are pets. i'm not sure about you but i try and create the most freindly enviroment for ALL my pets as possible.

also the idea of creating all these little super mice that are all the same due to inbreeding is disturbing. i think a colony of mice with all their different behaviours/habits is a good one. i couldn't imagine a world where all of us are the same so why should i create a world like this for my pet mice/rats?

however i do agree with the idea of feeding meat (in appropriate amounts) simply because it can create a better enviroment for the mice/rats.

My rats get leftover bones from T bones, chops and chickens..... and for treats they get some wiskettes (by hand, not a bowl of) and those doggy bone buscuits as a treat (and for thier teeth also)
I am not saying never to feed them meat..... just dont think you have to put bowls of it in there for them. The more meat they eat, changes thier poop from being just little pellets of veg matter, to little meaty slugs :lol: By not feeding too much meat, the cages smell less, attract less flies (in summer) and are easier to keep clean, IMO.

It is funny when you give them some bones to chew... it sounds like a B grade horror movie.... all the crunching of bone :shock:

If you are only keeping a few mice, and smell is a concern, then lucerne chaff works well athough it is not as absorbant as shaving and so needs to be changed more often.The fact is that mice smell. Even when you come across a nest in the great outdoors; it doesn't seem to worry them, only their keepers.

I had a buck mouse in with 2 females and one morning I discovered they had chewed his testicles off and he was dead.

So much for breeding mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back