Short Video: Snorkelling at Shelly Beach, Manly.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
I was up in Sydney a week ago and was lucky enough to visit Shelly Beach on a couple of occasions to snorkel and take a bit of video. The water was much warmer there than down here in Melbourne.
The video showcases a variety of fish that I saw. There were also many others not in the video, including a small Dusky Whaler Shark.

Great spot to try out snorkelling, there is plenty to see even if you are a beginner and stay in the shallow water. The deepest I went was around 5m.

Shelly Beach: Snorkelling in the Cabbage Tree Bay Aquatic Reserve - YouTube

Last edited:
Nice footage there. Out of curiosity what did the flat lens set u back and is it easy to fit??

Snorkeling is terrific fun along with diving, it is a whole other world down there :) I know time just flies by when I am doing either :) thanks for sharing

Very, very pretty to watch! thanks! oh...btw the water here in Melbourne (in the bay) is still warm enough for swimming! ;)

Thanks for your comments.

what did the flat lens set u back and is it easy to fit??

Grand total of about $70 I think. It's just a standard replacement gopro underwater housing with the curved perspex lens removed and replaced with a flat piece of perspex. Got mine from a company in the US called "eye of mine", and I think it's meant to be good for 60 metres! Unless you're William Truebridge (Unassisted freediving world record - 95m (311 feet). by William Trubridge - YouTube) this should be more than enough! Easy to do yourself if you trust your waterproofing skills.

There are other companies that do different versions, some with threads so you can add on underwater filters for colour. As I'm only snorkelling I don't go very deep so don't see a need for the filters.

Last edited:
Excellent footage Greg! Your work is as good or better than a lot of footage on some nature documentaries I've seen.

By the way, how did you fix your camera down so securely?
Whatever you did, it was very effective, as some of those waves were pounding.

Keep up the good work mate.8)

That brings back memories! I used to dive there often when living in Sydney. Is the motorbike still lying on the bottom of the bay between the boat ramp and the reef?

thanks for your comments

By the way, how did you fix your camera down so securely?
Whatever you did, it was very effective, as some of those waves were pounding.

The camera was mounted on a metal grate, but still surprised me how still it was, especially considering I was really getting thrown around. I'll put up some more footage later with just the surge zone which I think is really nice, but this video was just an overview so I had to be ruthless with editing and leave out lots of good stuff. Suppose I should get on to editing some reptile footage too....being a herp forum!

Is the motorbike still lying on the bottom of the bay between the boat ramp and the reef?

I haven't seen it but from others videos it still seems to be there. I think it's in 8m of water so would be interested to find it when I'm next there. Think it's sort of in the middle of the cove somewhere; I've mainly stuck around the edges so far.

Think it's sort of in the middle of the cove somewhere; I've mainly stuck around the edges so far.

It is in the middle, yes. If I recall correctly, you should come across it if you head out in a direct line from the boat ramp, in the direction the ramp is facing. Its sort of half way between the ramp and the reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back