Idiots on the road (and off)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
come on you cant seriously tell me that you think its fair for loud music to be ban for young drivers??!?!
nope i dont think it should be banned :) i like my music not to loud though ;) just pointing out the problems associated with it because you and thesilverbeast seemed to think there was absolutely no problem with it when at times there is

it affects your ability to hear an ambulance coming or police giving you the proper amount of time to safely get out of their way thats just one also if your car starts to do something funny in the motor normally you'll hear it first before your car breaks down leaving you sitting in the middle of the freeway

I have had emergency vehicles behind me when i've had others in the car so low stereo and i've moved out of the way due to the flashing of the lights and only heard the sirens when they were actually going past me. But even so, thats another discussion, the stereo was raised that it should be limited for young drivers. My point was that how does this make a younger driver unsafe?

You raise a point with the mechanical issues but thats not about hooning and its not putting anyone in any specific danger, a component may fail without warning leaving you stranded on a freeway regardless of music... and thats about the other drivers competency leaving the right braking distance behind you if you do have to stop. Not about how the music makes you an unsafe driver to be classed as a hoon.

nope i dont think it should be banned :) i like my music not to loud though ;) just pointing out the problems associated with it because you and thesilverbeast seemed to think there was absolutely no problem with it when at times there is

I still maintain that there's nothing wrong with it. Are you saying the hearing impaired are unsafe drivers?

They have lights for a reason on emergency service vehicles, and if you're not looking around at all times then the loud music is the least of your worries.

Mechanical issues are going to happen regardless of music. I know I wouldn't have any idea what a noise is. Most people would hear a noise and check it out when they reach their destination. you would hear it in gaps in music as well.

Last edited:
thesilverbeast just out of curiosity how old are you??

to me, at the end of the day, people would rather blame bad driving on someones age and then automatically assume all ppl that age are crap drivers rather then take it by individual person.
k-allen i doubt that old lady would have understood even if u were on your L's. people really dont seem to understand that a learner driver DOES make mistakes and they DO follow the road rules to a T (most of the time). its the same with anything patience is needed, how else will people learn!!

i just dont get it how do they afford these cars in the first place? how can they afford the insurance which would be very high? how can they afford to replace all the tyres they burn out? and how they do afford to put fuel in them to waste it?

i do believe there should be an engine size limit on what anyone under 20 can drive, i do understand there are some very sensible young drivers out there who shouldnt be tarred with the same brush however it would hard to police who are good drivers and who arent

Some people work hard and have a disposable income.

You don't understand mechanics at all, making a statement like "There should be an engine size limit" is ridiculous. There already is a power to weight ratio.

there are those strange people out there that buy things for their cars instead of buying reptiles.....lololol

thesilverbeast just out of curiosity how old are you??

I'm 24 and I drive a "high performance" turbocharged 5 cylinder car that has had modifications to make it perform better.

Unlike what that stereotype would suggest I am 100% for hooning on legal tracks and would be the first to report illegal hooning if its in my street.

Driving record: 2 low speeding fines in the 8 years I have been driving (one due to a tree covering a sign and there being a fixed camera so no police discretion to get out of it due to it being unfair and the other being completely my fault). One accident. My fault. No music at the time and I was travelling less than 40km/h.

I would like to think that my driving record is better than most boys my age. Especially with my type of car.

And just to Jeannie about the engine size, my car being a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder is much more powerful than the normal 5-6 litre V8's found in commodores and falcons. And there are cars with 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engines that absolutely murder just about every car under $100,000 on a race track. Its all about how much power an engine makes versus the weight of the car. A light car with a powerful small engine will go much faster than a really heavy car with a standard v8. There are already currently restrictions (and pretty harsh restrictions too) on all P platers which is a rule I agree with as the last thing P platers need is to get used to handling of a high performance car while learning to use the road properly (I know they'll think they know how to drive fine, I did too at that age, but when you're older you'll understand you didn't know all that much at all) . Mostly for emergencies when you may need to apply power to get out of a situation. If its too high powered you may stuff it up and make an avoidable crash.

a very obvious question is why?

why do you need a hotted up car? Because a regular car doesn't accelerate, OR (here are the safe things) stop or turn as well as a stock, unmodified POS. Modifications that make the car perform better, also make it safer. Driving a regular car isn't fun. Do you like horses? If so, it would be the equivalent of you riding a rocking horse instead of a thoroughbred.

what do you need to burn rubber? It's not a need, but it is enjoyable. Secondly, you obviously think doing a burnout is dangerous, otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. Please tell me what is dangerous about a stationary vehicle?

why do you need to 'drift'? Because it is fun, having a car sideways but being in control at the same time takes skill, it is also an adrenaline rush. It's the same reason I jump motocross bikes.

why do you need the music up so loud? I personally don't have my music up too loud usually, I prefer to hear a machine doing what it does best, but some people like music. It can be a distraction IF you are an idiot. Loud music shouldn't affect a good driver and by good driver, I mean someone who is constantly checking their mirrors and focusing on what they're doing.

explain it to me and i want a more thought provoking answer then 'cause i like the feeling of power' I like the feeling of power, the feeling of control you get from a car with a proper suspension set up, the feeling of control you get over a car with an LSD, the feeling of control you get over a car with great breaks.

and other then making you feel good and makes you look smart, tough, a hero in the eyes of your mates what other benefit do you get from it? It has nothing to do with looking smart, tough or like a hero. It makes me feel good, it makes me feel alive. Motorsports are in my blood, just like knitting is probably in yours. You probably has a husband that is into football, well my interest in cars would be similar to that.

its against the law to do this crap so why do you do it? do you NOT give a minutes thought to other road users that you might kill due to your stupidity? do you really think your the only ones on the road? I don't do anything dangerous in populated areas. If I've ever done something "dangerous" on a public road, it has been a deserted road 50km from the nearest town. I am an extremely conscientious driver on the road, I leave a large gap between myself and traffic, I indicate well before I intend to merge and I always drive as far ahead as my eyes can see. I see things before they happen and slow down well before the people in front of me do, I see a car that's 8 cars in front and his break lights go on, I let off the throttle and lose momentum and roll up to it, while everyone else in front of me smashes their brakes on. I've been driving for 100km's a day on QLD's worst stretch of road for the past 3 years, I guarantee I've done more km's than you have and I would also be willing to bet I would drive a lot safer than you would on the road AND because I have a love of cars and know how they react in dodgy situations, I know how to handle a car if a sticky situation arises. I'd be interested to see how you cope with aquaplaning around a big bend with cliffs on one side and trucks on the other, or losing a rear wheel and grinding on the hub at 110 clicks with instant death 2 foot to each side of your vehicle.

i guess burning rubber and carrying on makes you look like a big hero in your own eyes (i believe in 'some' cases it makes up for things lacking in other departments) I've never had any complaints about my other departments, or any complaints about my driving.

i still say the government need to restrict the 'size' of the cars/bikes under 21 yr olfs can drive and resist the volume of the CD players, they need to ban all this big huge speakers etc P platers are restricted, but please tell me Jeannine, why is the magic number 21? Do you believe that once someone turns 21, they can automatically go from a low powered vehicle to a high powered vehicle and drive it safely? I would guess that if you got into something with anymore than .001 RWKW, you'd probably get into trouble.

Your closed minded views are insane. Everyone has hobbies that they enjoy, I personally couldn't imagine living a mundane life without any form of excitement. The individual is responsible for how they behave on the road, it has nothing to do with what car they drive or how old they are.

I'd also like to point this out, something that you are obviously not aware of, I'll put it in bold so you take note: Car enthusiasts FROWN UPON people driving dangerously on public roads. Do you know why? It's because our rights are being stripped away due to idiots ruining it for everyone. We don't build cars to terrorise old women, we build them to enjoy them in an environment that they can be enjoyed as safely as possible.

Taking a car and modifying it so it does everything better is a rewarding experience. It is also an educational one.

Last edited:
Thats BS KR, there are plenty of stock cars that are very safe

Unfortunately for the responsible drivers these idiots who are attracted to driving like they are insane are also attracted to modified cars so often they go hand in hand.

Last edited:
I hate it during school holidays, or easter or christmas/new year.... at night.... in the rain..... fog......sleet.....

You have trucks up your butt..... battling the gray nomads (caravans, usually over loaded and out of balance (Huh?what does out of balance mean?):rolleyes: and you always manage to come up behind a learner.... in a giant 4x4...... doing 70kmh in a 100 zone :evil:

What is a learner supposed to be learning on the highway... at night.... in the rain/fog etc? on long weekends/holidays? How to get abused? :facepalm:

This is the last P plater we pulled out of the trees across from my place..... over the speed limit & alcohol limit. He told the cops he wasnt the driver... someone else was.... that person (the driver) ran off into the bush. This guy was pinned in the drivers seat, the ses had to cut him out of his belts.... but he wasnt the driver:lol:

View attachment 248934

Attachments

• From Phone 280411 035.jpg
    From Phone 280411 035.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
it affects your ability to hear an ambulance coming or police giving you the proper amount of time to safely get out of their way thats just one also if your car starts to do something funny in the motor normally you'll hear it first before your car breaks down leaving you sitting in the middle of the freeway

I'm not a hoon, though I'll admit to wearing heavy shoes sometimes! In my opinion, someone who is driving safely over the limit is much less dangerous than someone who is pottering along at 60km/hr in a 100 zone, completely oblivious to their surroundings.
Are you saying that deaf/hearing impaired drivers are as unsafe as hoons, because they can't hear? And besides, in the last 6 or so times that an emergency vehicle has gone past me, only once has everyone gotten out of their way. 5 out of 6 times, "experienced" drivers have sat on their asses, forcing said emergency vehicle either to wait, or have to go around them. That is bloody disgraceful.
Secondly, regardless of how "experienced" a driver anyone is, unless they've only just gotten into an unfamiliar car, a driver should be able to tell when something's not going right with their vehicle. And as others have said, sometimes things fail with no warning. If this should happen, no one should be "sitting in the middle of the freeway", people should be getting ther car the hell off the road because a stationary vehicle on a freeway is incredibly dangerous.

And for the record, the only car I've ever had written off was demolished by a guy with at least 30-odd years of experience, while my car was stationary!

I hate it during school holidays, or easter or christmas/new year.... at night.... in the rain..... fog......sleet.....

You have trucks up your butt..... battling the gray nomads (caravans, usually over loaded and out of balance (Huh?what does out of balance mean?):rolleyes: and you always manage to come up behind a learner.... in a giant 4x4...... doing 70kmh in a 100 zone :evil:

What is a learner supposed to be learning on the highway... at night.... in the rain/fog etc? on long weekends/holidays? How to get abused? :facepalm:

This is the last P plater we pulled out of the trees across from my place..... over the speed limit & alcohol limit. He told the cops he wasnt the driver... someone else was.... that person (the driver) ran off into the bush. This guy was pinned in the drivers seat, the ses had to cut him out of his belts.... but he wasnt the driver:lol:

View attachment 248934

I bet he thought he looked awesome with his mag wheels lmao

hurr all p plate drivers and l plate drivers are trouble on the roads hurr
Have you ever been near a old person driving?, in the car of a old person driving?.
I'd trust being in a p plater's care, more than a old blokes.
And to the people asking what's the point in a hotted up car?, the point in music? etc?,
What's the point in keeping reptiles?.
Because we like it/them.

I'm not a hoon, though I'll admit to wearing heavy shoes sometimes! In my opinion, someone who is driving safely over the limit is much less dangerous than someone who is pottering along at 60km/hr in a 100 zone, completely oblivious to their surroundings.
Are you saying that deaf/hearing impaired drivers are as unsafe as hoons, because they can't hear?no i was pointing out that at times in a car being able to hear can be important im sure that hearing impaired people have to go through some different training courses And besides, in the last 6 or so times that an emergency vehicle has gone past me, only once has everyone gotten out of their way. 5 out of 6 times, "experienced" drivers have sat on their asses, forcing said emergency vehicle either to wait, or have to go around them. That is bloody disgraceful.that is disgraceful whats it got to do with anything i said
Secondly, regardless of how "experienced" a driver anyone is, unless they've only just gotten into an unfamiliar car, a driver should be able to tell when something's not going right with their vehicle. you clearly know very very little about mechanics And as others have said, sometimes things fail with no warning. If this should happen, no one should be "sitting in the middle of the freeway", people should be getting ther car the hell off the road because a stationary vehicle on a freeway is incredibly dangerous.yes it is which is why you should mover to the left hand lane and pull over in if your hear or feel anything funny but you wont always feel it you may hear it

And for the record, the only car I've ever had written off was demolished by a guy with at least 30-odd years of experience, while my car was stationary!
im in the red

hurr all p plate drivers and l plate drivers are trouble on the roads hurr
Have you ever been near a old person driving?, in the car of a old person driving?.
I'd trust being in a p plater's care, more than a old blokes.
And to the people asking what's the point in a hotted up car?, the point in music? etc?,
What's the point in keeping reptiles?.
Because we like it/them.

Nothing wrong with doing what you like, until you endanger my family, then you can go to hell!
Doesn't matter what license you have or what age you are as far as I and anyone else with half an intellect is concerned you are scum.

Hearing impaired people don't have to have any further training than anyone else. They have a different practical test, because obviously they can't hear verbal instructions.
My point about people not moving out of the way was not specifically directed at anything you said, it was more to point out that "hoons" aren't the only d***heads on the road.
You are right, I do know stuff all about mechanics. But if I get in my car and drive it, I generally know if something's not right just from the way it drives. I wouldn't be able to say what is wrong, but I would know that it just doesn't feel right.
Realistically, if you hear something start to rattle etc, who is actually going to pull over and call the RACV, or even check it out for themselves if they can? If you hear something odd, you monitor it, if the car then doesn't feel right, you do something about it then.

I have had emergency vehicles behind me when i've had others in the car so low stereo and i've moved out of the way due to the flashing of the lights and only heard the sirens when they were actually going past me.

There's been plenty of times where I haven't heard sirens of emergency vehicles until they're just about on top of me, and I don't listen to any music in the car because the electrics are buggered. The lights are what I notice first, being a bike rider has taught me to keep a close eye on the mirrors.

With the current cars being designed to have a sound proof cabin area, the argument of loud music and emergency vehicles becomes null. I don't have an issue with people that listen to music up a bit, but if it's blaring, keep ya windows closed as not everyone wants to listen to the same music you are at that level. Just be considerate to others especially in residential areas at night

I bet if you were to look at the combined "P plater caused accidents" and the combined "Experienced driver caused accidents" and make a common ratio it would give a very different perspective to how the media portrays P platers and the statistics they claim.
Here is an example, I was at court one day with a friend and I decided to sit in on the proceedings for that day while my friend was fiddling with paperwork. There was a man of no less than 75 years old who had lost control of his car, mounted a curb and ploughed through the front of someone's house. Even though he couldn't give a valid explanation on how he lost control he was allowed to keep his license, no loss of demerit points and was only ordered to pay $70 for court costs. His lawyer told the judge that his client was a pillar of the community and had been driving for over 50 years :rolleyes:. I can only imagine how that would have gone had it been a P plater.

I drive about 500 km's a week on average and by far the biggest liability I have seen on the roads are the elderly and middle aged drivers. I have had them pull out in front of me while on roundabouts, speed up while I was merging, get right up my *** while on the freeway in the far left lane (I am only allowed to go 90), be completely oblivious when they pull out in front of me dangerously.
I was driving down the F3 yesterday and clocked up 350 km's for that day alone and the things that these moronic "experienced drivers" were doing would make the most experienced stunt drivers pucker their butt cheeks.

I need to put my dash cam on more, then I could upload the videos of how the oldies drive around my area.

I hate to prove you wrong Batanga but...

"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In 2010, 28% of drivers killed were aged between 18 and 25 years, however, this age group represents only around 14% of Victorian licence holders."[/FONT]

Young driver statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back