What can you NOT feed rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My mice get mealworms regularly, they really love mealworm pupae

No one said anything about armonds right I game him onshe grabbed in and ran into her hide. Haha

Almonds are safe... But hazelnuts can only be fed to black females on heat....... ;)

Ok you guys are Probly laughing at how panicky I am about feeder her. Picking up 2 more tosarvo

Not at all! It is great to see people caring about the wellbeing of any animals they keep :)

Don't freak out though, there is a reason they are such a successful pest... They can eat anything! (Apart from rat bait... Which would be totally safe if they could burp or vomit ;) ).

WOWSA so all our rats should be dead by now!

We got ours in January & the only thing I could find that everywhere seemed to agree on was not feeding them onion or citrus so we have avoided giving them those. But everything else that has been listed here has been offered. They love peanuts, avocado, yoghurt and all the other stuff listed. Now we will try them on some citrus if it won't hurt them. These little guys are thriving but I do notice they aren't keen on the rat pellets we got, hmmmm.

I mix a bag of that foragers feast stuff (which they absolutely love) with bird seed, pellets, rolled oats, weet-bix and anything else I can find, then offer them fruit/veg every day or two.

Almonds are safe... But hazelnuts can only be fed to black females on heat.......

Don't freak out though, there is a reason they are such a successful pest...

Are you kidding me? Almonds kill everything except the agouti (multicoloured brown) ones. That's why all the other colours are extinct in the wild. In 1993 someone accidentally dumped a shipment of almonds on the ground and all the other colours got wiped out. It's only through the paranoia, er, diligence of rat keepers that the other colours have been preserved in captivity. You still see heaps of them in capitivity, but the wild ones are always brown. Coincidence? No!

I'm surprised you knew about hazelnuts but not almonds.

Bahahhaha oh how silly of me Sdaji! OF COURSE that makes sense.

Carnelian I bought way too many oranges for myself a while ago on sale at a food market and I dumped one in each rat tub so they wouldn't go to waste. They loved them and all survived without drama :)

Carnelian I bought way too many oranges for myself a while ago on sale at a food market and I dumped one in each rat tub so they wouldn't go to waste. They loved them and all survived without drama :)

But now all the males have a 0.01% increased chance of dying of cancer if they live to over five years old.

OK will let my daughter now they can now have citrus, with kids in the house there is always left over food so the rats are like a living garbage disposal here.

yes I offer any insects I find, mainly large crickets and grasshoppers. Our fave past time here is catching big moths at night and releasing them in with the rats to hunt and catch. Tonnes of fun! Will try the frozen soy milk in summer tho, that's bound to be fun to watch

well u may know if you have facebook there pages of BUY & SELL
well in my area this chick has 10 mice that poped out last night
and she does not want them so she giving all 10 to me to start my tubs
but i said ill have 1 male and 2 females when there of the nipple and ill have the pinkies this weeken
so i get 3 feed's and a tub of mice for FREE :)

From the Dandenong stockfeed place I buy 20kg bags of rat and mouse cubes , working horse mix and wild bird seed . Comes to $60 for 60 kg . Mix it together and add any kitchen left overs . They are healthy [ and happy in their huge chook shed ] and they breed like the rodents they are :]

yes I offer any insects I find, mainly large crickets and grasshoppers. Our fave past time here is catching big moths at night and releasing them in with the rats to hunt and catch. Tonnes of fun! Will try the frozen soy milk in summer tho, that's bound to be fun to watch
Is that legal!
I think you will find you are only allowed to feed live moths if your rats refuse to eat dead ones. It not actually law, but a very strong recommendations from bothe the RSPCM ( M stands for moths) and the rat fanciers society - moth cruelty subcommittee.

75576_422742884421475_100000573021440_90144192_645153875_n.jpg

526150_422724424423321_100000573021440_90144120_818225571_n.jpg

picked these to up yesterday

Don't feed rats hamburgers with pickles in them.

It won't hurt them, but they'll either fling the pickles onto the window or stick them to the bottom of the table when you're not looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back