Enclosure Heating Advice/Assistance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellian

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Nearly finished building my reptile enclosure and I'm currently looking at the heating aspect. What I have made is roughly a 4'x2'x2' particle board cage. It will have a fake rock wall, black interior and red sand.

I was thinking of a heating mat under some sand that automatically turns off when it's reached a particular temperature and a single ceramic 100W or 150W heat emitter towards the end of the cage with the mat. The heat emitter would be used with a thermostat.

Alternatively:
A single ceramic 150W heat emitter that is turned on for a 3-4 hours a day and a second lower power heat emitter that is hooked up to a thermostat.

What do you think would be best?
Or any better ideas?

150W is more than enough for an enclosure that size.
In my 1200x595x595 enclosures, I use a Microclimate stat with a magic eye (I find dimming stats are the way to go). I set my night and day temps based on the reptiles needs. I don't use a globe over 100w in that enclosure because you still need a gradient. I also have a small 25w red light that goes on at about 9pm and turns off at 5am. This is to just keep the enclosure a little warmer than the outside temps.

It's a bearded dragon. I did originally intend to post that.

i would go with going and getting a paver for a couple of dollars and putting that at the hot end so it soaks up the heat then instead of a heat emitter have a basking lamp...dragons tend to do better with the sun simulation so then your new master can warm thy belly and thy top of body ...with the red sand, you will have a stained red dragon on all 4's and belly so don't get a white/grey one...just a bit of advice :) uhmm....ohh and if you have a droid phone or iphone...GET ANT SMASHER best thing i did! Yoda my beardie nails the ants like a champ!

I have a heat mat with a 100w basking light and a 10 UVB flouro light in a 2m tank,but I don't use a CHE,Beardies need UV light but not necessarily just heat.All these things run 10-12 hours a day on a timer,hope this helps

Excellent. I think I'll go with a basking light and a smaller night light to keep the cage warm.

No lighting needed at night as you will upset the beardie's sleep patterns they CAN see infrared and the blue lights!! I have a small heat mat at the hot end which I only put on in the coldest parts in winter. It is under the enclosure with a sandstone tile and some washed screened play sand over the top to more evenly spread the warmth but as I said only when it drops below 15degc and only between lights out and lights on.

Last edited:
Alternatively:
A single ceramic 150W heat emitter that is turned on for a 3-4 hours a day and a second lower power heat emitter that is hooked up to a thermostat.

People's other ideas are great, but I would be scared how much heat a 150w ceramic would put out after 4 hours on full power. Not just the animals, but would your mounting bracket be able to handle that without catching fire or something?

for my beardies i have a 100wt phillips flood light for basking - at night i dont use any heating . the beardies enclosure is 4x4x2ft high . i have large rocks and slabs of timber for there basking platforms .

Excellent advice, thanks all. Now what's the difference between the ceramic heaters and the basking lamps. Don't they both emit heat?..

Yes but CHE do not give off light that resembles bright sun which in turn encourages your beardie to bask which in turn encourages your beardie to eat and be active, in other words to do what comes natural to them

Yes but CHE do not give off light that resembles bright sun which in turn encourages your beardie to bask which in turn encourages your beardie to eat and be active, in other words to do what comes natural to them

yeah i agree to an extent.. but thats not taking into account that UV is required also. So long as the uv light is close to the basking lamp/heat source and are on the same timer, they wont be able to tell the difference. i personally use a 100W edison screw light globe from woolies and a uvb 10. mostly because im not comfortable leaving a ceramic emitter on for 10-12 hours and also that is FAR cheaper. i replace globes once every 2 or three months but at 3.5 bucks a globe a ceramic would have to last over 4 years to start coming near the same value. 12 watt heat matt on overnight during winter under the warm side. (my house gets very cold overnight in winter) where do you live? if you live in qld i wouldnt bother. or if your house stays above 15 degrees overnight in winter i wouldnt either for a subadult/adult beardy.

yeah i agree to an extent.. but thats not taking into account that UV is required also. So long as the uv light is close to the basking lamp/heat source and are on the same timer, they wont be able to tell the difference. i personally use a 100W edison screw light globe from woolies and a uvb 10. mostly because im not comfortable leaving a ceramic emitter on for 10-12 hours and also that is FAR cheaper. i replace globes once every 2 or three months but at 3.5 bucks a globe a ceramic would have to last over 4 years to start coming near the same value. 12 watt heat matt on overnight during winter under the warm side. (my house gets very cold overnight in winter) where do you live? if you live in qld i wouldnt bother. or if your house stays above 15 degrees overnight in winter i wouldnt either for a subadult/adult beardy.

UV goes without sayingI thought it was implied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back