Idiots on the road (and off)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to prove you wrong Batanga but...

"In 2010, 28% of drivers killed were aged between 18 and 25 years, however, this age group represents only around 14% of Victorian licence holders."

Young driver statistics

How long did it take you to find a statistic that backed up your opinion? That is one "statistic", in one state within one year.....there is no average in that so therefore is flawed. It also doesn't take in to account the amount of usage of the car, what caused the accidents nor does it state who was at fault.
With any statistic they need to be repeated to show a trend.

The link you provided is a driving school, it is not a government or Bureau Of Statistic formulated statistic....do you honestly think a driving school (Who makes the most money off new drivers)is going to put anything else but what is stated? If they were to write anything else they wouldn't have clients and in turn wouldn't make revenue.

For starters its not a driving school, and it took me about 4 seconds to find that statistic, why? because countless studies have been done that have proven young drivers are more likely to have an accident than other drivers, I am really surprised you didnt know this, I thought it was common knowledge.
Why do you think its so hard to get a full license now?
They didnt make all these new rules for fun, it was a result of death toll statistics.

Also I do agree old people are a major issue as well

Ok smartey pants, here is a "government" website, results almost identical 4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, 1996

Last edited:
For starters its not a driving school, and it took me about 4 seconds to find that statistic, why? because countless studies have been done that have proven young drivers are more likely to have an accident than other drivers, I am really surprised you didnt know this, I thought it was common knowledge.
Why do you think its so hard to get a full license now?
They didnt make all these new rules for fun, it was a result of death toll statistics.

Also I do agree old people are a major issue as well

Ok smartey pants, here is a "government" website, results almost identical 4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, 1996

1996? Come on, we are in 2012!
1996 was before the new laws were passed, before limiting on engine power and before the tighter "fine print" of insurance companies.
It's like comparing apples and oranges. And I think you will find that the toll on younger drivers has lowered in that time period.
And unless there is more information that shows who was at fault, the cause for the accidents, time spent driving etc the true nature of the statistics will never be shown.

1996? Come on, we are in 2012!
1996 was before the new laws were passed, before limiting on engine power and before the tighter "fine print" of insurance companies.
It's like comparing apples and oranges. And I think you will find that the toll on younger drivers has lowered in that time period.
And unless there is more information that shows who was at fault, the cause for the accidents, time spent driving etc the true nature of the statistics will never be shown.

Im not going to bother having this out with you, I and everyone else knows young drivers have a higher crash rate, if you don't then I suggest you do some research

cant be bothered reading through 5 pages, but statistics or no statistics, i drive a truck everyday and id have to say that it isnt always the young drivers that are terrible on the road i find its all ages, how many times ive seen a 30-40 year old behind the wheel and thought to myself how can someone drive for 10-15 years+ and still be so terrible on the road

i went out on a racetrack the other week (public v8 race day) and seen so many underconfident drivers( made me think what would you do if your car slid out in the wet on a normal road???)

young or old theres always bad drivers, for the people reading different sites on statistics did any read the percentage of p platers on the road??

young drivers do have a higher score when it comes to the road toll but what people seem to forget is that they dont have the amount of experience that older drivers do ( even if the older drivers seem to forget that) and when we have retards on the road who are constantly getting up young drivers *** can you really sit here and get up young ppl for being bad drivers?

cant be bothered reading through 5 pages, but statistics or no statistics, i drive a truck everyday and id have to say that it isnt always the young drivers that are terrible on the road i find its all ages, how many times ive seen a 30-40 year old behind the wheel and thought to myself how can someone drive for 10-15 years+ and still be so terrible on the road

i went out on a racetrack the other week (public v8 race day) and seen so many underconfident drivers( made me think what would you do if your car slid out in the wet on a normal road???)

young or old theres always bad drivers, for the people reading different sites on statistics did any read the percentage of p platers on the road??

Yes, it showed both the percentage of 18-25 yo on the road as well as the percentage of the deaths/accidents they are involved in.

I agree, their are plenty of other age groups at fault and personally I dont really care to stereo type anyway, basically if you want to drive like a twat then you don't deserve the privileged of driving on our roads regardless of your demographic.

Yes, it showed both the percentage of 18-25 yo on the road as well as the percentage of the deaths/accidents they are involved in.

I agree, their are plenty of other age groups at fault and personally I dont really care to stereo type anyway, basically if you want to drive like a twat then you don't deserve the privileged of driving on our roads regardless of your demographic.

couldnt agree more!

Thats BS KR, there are plenty of stock cars that are very safe

Unfortunately for the responsible drivers these idiots who are attracted to driving like they are insane are also attracted to modified cars so often they go hand in hand.

I never said stock cars weren't safe at all. I said that cars modified CORRECTLY can be safer than their stock counterparts, ie, the same make and model.

Obviously a mid 90's falcon is going to be a lot more dangerous than a new BMW, it doesn't mean that the falcons performance can't be improved with a set of brakes. This makes the car safer.

I never said stock cars weren't safe at all. I said that cars modified CORRECTLY can be safer than their stock counterparts, ie, the same make and model.

Obviously a mid 90's falcon is going to be a lot more dangerous than a new BMW, it doesn't mean that the falcons performance can't be improved with a set of brakes. This makes the car safer.

Safest car is one that drives sensibly

My opinion :rolleyes: is that everyone is capable of having/causing an accident (or be a bad driver) All ages, all types of people..... all with different potential for accidents and different weaknesses for causing/resulting in types of accident.

Oldies often have control (reverse instead of drive, foot on gas instead of brake) or as with all ages, can suffer health issues.
Middle age often have been driving along time and get a bit lazy with road rules and a bit overconfident with thier driving skills.
Young people seem to have more distractions (loud music, hoodies blocking periferal vision, peer pressure, over confidence (think they are indestructible) choose faster, more powerful cars (comes under peer pressure)

I am not bagging any group in particular..... just pointing out that we all are capable of being involved/causing an accident... age bracket only points out what distractions are MORE LIKELY to effect them. People of different age brackets seem to have accidents for different reasons.... thats my point.

Of course, time is so precious now, so everyone is in a hurry.... tempers flare. Drink driving, yacking on phones...distraction of concentration effects all age groups, and some people are less distracted than others by different things.

I certainly dont think it is right to bag all young drivers for one thing, all elderly drivers for another.... there are excellent young drivers..... and some not so.... there are excellent older drivers and some not so..... same for middle age drivers.

The problem is, in my opinion, a basic lack of respect from all ages..... towards other motorists, rules and regulations, respecting the weather/road conditions (Pfft..) If everyone showed more respect to all these things, would be heaps safer on the road.

Safest car is one that drives sensibly

I agree entirely, I was replying to Jeannine when she asked about modifying cars. A car driven sensibly is a completely different subject to a brake upgrade. I'm not an advocate for stupid stuff in populated areas at all.

Im not going to bother having this out with you, I and everyone else knows young drivers have a higher crash rate, if you don't then I suggest you do some research

Can I just ask, how long have you been driving for?
I can only base my opinion on what I see.....your opinions seems to be based on what you read/

Can I just ask, how long have you been driving for?
I can only base my opinion on what I see.....your opinions seems to be based on what you read/

If you actually bothered reading you would have noticed this thread started from what I have "seen", not from what I have read.

You already know the answer to your question, my time behind the wheel (or lack of) is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Last edited:
lol in port mac to dunbogan lol full of idiots mostly my age an under with illegal turbo'd cars driftin around lol

My opinion :rolleyes: is that everyone is capable of having/causing an accident (or be a bad driver) All ages, all types of people..... all with different potential for accidents and different weaknesses for causing/resulting in types of accident.

Oldies often have control (reverse instead of drive, foot on gas instead of brake) or as with all ages, can suffer health issues.
Middle age often have been driving along time and get a bit lazy with road rules and a bit overconfident with thier driving skills.
Young people seem to have more distractions (loud music, hoodies blocking periferal vision, peer pressure, over confidence (think they are indestructible) choose faster, more powerful cars (comes under peer pressure)

I am not bagging any group in particular..... just pointing out that we all are capable of being involved/causing an accident... age bracket only points out what distractions are MORE LIKELY to effect them. People of different age brackets seem to have accidents for different reasons.... thats my point.

Of course, time is so precious now, so everyone is in a hurry.... tempers flare. Drink driving, yacking on phones...distraction of concentration effects all age groups, and some people are less distracted than others by different things.

I certainly dont think it is right to bag all young drivers for one thing, all elderly drivers for another.... there are excellent young drivers..... and some not so.... there are excellent older drivers and some not so..... same for middle age drivers.

The problem is, in my opinion, a basic lack of respect from all ages..... towards other motorists, rules and regulations, respecting the weather/road conditions (Pfft..) If everyone showed more respect to all these things, would be heaps safer on the road.

I like your sum up it's the only one I agree with. A+++ Have a Promotion

am not all of us bogans do stupid things on the road :p

I am ranting as I have a problem with people who speed and break road rules, whether they are in a car or on a bike.
2 days ago while my son was being walked home that 2 trail bike riders almost killed him, the pieces of work did not even slow down, they probably thought it was funny, and no it wasn't on a trail either, it was on a foot path near bushland.
Then that same afternoon I was walking with my son and a bunch of idiots were cheering some bogan on doing donuts out the front of their house, he was so busy looking at his mates fro encouragement that he mounted the kerb and almost collected us.
I am so sick of putting up with this crap, all these young adults think they are so awesome but the reality is the majority of society hates them.

If anyone reads this who think they are cool because they can drift, do burnouts etc or break the speed limit in their fully sick turbo V6 on our roads I want you to know that the only people you impress are the scum of society, congratulations.

I have no issue for people who want to do these activities on a race track, hey I might even join you.

car-on-fire-3_1024-600x400.jpg

sounds like you live in the wrong neighbourhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back