fox resuce

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not such a bad thing. I think its cute and if they want to catch all the foxes and desex them, more power to them. As long as they dont get in my cross hairs, we'll get along fine

not sure if i agree ssssssnakeman it will still eat a hek of a lot of wild life in its life desex or not just line em up and sort em out with a nice broardhead

Out of curiosity (and only playing the devil's advocate) - how much feral wildlife do foxes kill? Surely rabbits would be high on a foxes list?

I understand that foxes destroy natives, I'm well and truly up on that... But surely they must do some damage to the feral population too?

Desexing is the wussy way for suggesting people didn't have the gnads to kill em'...

I was offered traps to catch some feral cats, and I asked would they euthanise them... The answer was no - they'd desex them and then re-release them!

thanks fuscus had a quick glance and save'd to read another day... grew up on a hobbie farm and lost alot of lambs to foxes and dogs 9 out of 11 one season. noticed once they started baiting foxes in lakes enterance (vic) the dramatic decline in lacies in the area... hate foxes with a force

As a feral I hate them, as an animal I really like them. I'm not sure that the keeping of desexed fox's from the wild could increase a problem that's already out of control.
Personaly I like the idea of keeping them though I wouldn't advocate it until I'm better informed

De-sexing foxes then releasing them?!?!?! Wot the ..... Offer a bounty on them. They wont be extinct. I like foxes,had a pet one myself years ago,but i know what they do on farms and its not nice nor is it pretty. Shoot em.

I don't think it says anything about releasing them>

Seems like we could legally keep them here in WA too

Anyone heard any more about the panic in Tassy ? A couple of years ago there was a suspected fox or two that made it over there . As for catch and neuter , I would prefer catch and skin . Lets start a new trend , wearing feral fur .

While I'm personally unsure whether this is the right solution one could argue that by releasing desexed foxes they are contributing to the intraspecific competition without contributing to the reproduction of the species, thus acting as a form of population control. Every ecosystem has a carrying capacity so releasing non-sexually active dominant individuals may in fact reduce the propagation of sexually intact individuals. I am also unaware of the interspecific interaction they have with other predators such as feral cats and dogs, such that they could potentially contribute to the regulation of these population through indirect or direct competition.

Does the release of desexed mature foxes reduce the survival of immature foxes and thus the proportion of prey items that are native fauna? Does the complete removal of a fox from a territory enable an increase in available resources for conspecifics, thus resulting in an increased proportion of native fauna becoming preyed upon?

Do I think it is a good idea? No, weighing up the cost of capture and veterinary procedure plus man hours with the potential benefits (and negatives) there is most likely a far more efficient method of obtaining satisfactory population control.

still amazes me the amount of people who suggest cruelty to species of animals they dislike while complaining about cruelty committed by others on animals on reptiles

cruelty is cruelty and what is good for one is good for the other

when an animal is a threat to our biodiversity,its fair game to be knocked off

I agree.... desexing them is a great idea....

I think they should desex them with a 222cal or even something a little bigger ;)

In canberra a few years ago, on the lawns of the gov. generals house (mansion...acres, fully fenced, 3m high) the population of roo's became over the top. Rather than culling some off (no...no.... the wowsers saw to that.... too cruel).... they paid $3,000 per roo :shock: to have them (over 50 roos) moved to somewhere near Braidwood and released. First they terrified the roos by corraling them into a pen..... then they terrified them by physically catching them and man-handling them to give them a seditive to calm them down, then they terrified them by taking them 100km in a truck...... for release in NSW, where shooters were waiting to shoot them after they got off the truck :rolleyes:

I don't think it says anything about releasing them...

Yes it does not saying anything about releasing them.I think they want to catch them,
neuter them,and then cage them for the duration of their lives
howfoxrescuebegan

Shooting an animal dead is not cruelty.
It is a hell of a lot kinder than how the steak I had last night was treated - rounded up by helicopter, motorcycles and dogs, stuck in a crowded truck for x number of days then forced to stand in line for its turn to be stunned and slit.

Ah didn't read that bit, while I believe that euthing would be a better option than releasing, it still isn't increasing the problem if people release a neutered animal that came from the wild in the first place.

I don't have a problem with them being shot on sight it's the best option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back