Cold snakes and handling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaDoore

Reaction score
Okay, before I even pose a question I just want to say I have NO intention of doing this, please don't turn this thread into one flaming the OP, it was just something I was thinking of and am curious to find an answer for. Cool? Cool =)

I recently acquired my fourth snake, a beautiful olive. Now, the poor thing was hardly fed by her owners, which is why at 2 years old she's only 3 foot long.

Anyway, I picked her up off a friend and by the time I got her she had cooled down quite a bit. I had a bit of a hold and she was amazingly calm. When she warmed up, however, she was quite nervous and kept striking at the enclosure glass when I walked past.
Now, I know with aggressive (for lack of a better word) snakes, frequent handling usually calms them down.

My question: If you had an aggressive snake and cooled it down before handling so that it was less inclined to bite, would handling it then calm it down in the long run? Would it still work the same as handling them when they're warm?

Again, I have no plans to do this, all my animals are wonderfully calm (aside from a slightly nervous jungle and a hungry olive) and I strongly discourage any mistreatment of the animals (such as cooling them coz you're too scared to handle them normally). I was just wondering.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I HAVE AN OLIVE!!!!! Best thing ever!! :D:D:D

hmm.... cold snakes are less inclined to do anything at all... maybe handling him in the morning before he has heated up? i would think though as they are colder they are going to learn slower so if anything if you want him to learn quickly its porbably best to hold him when he's warm IMO.

Your olive should settle very quickly once hes had a few feeds and imo they are second only to diamonds in there ease of handling, never been bitten even by hungry ones. so dont worry about cooling and if you can power feed him to try and fatten before winter cools them slightly, this will make it even less agro

I'm not worried about my olive being snappy, I assume that with a decent feed (seriously, she's been getting like a weaner rat every couple of months - my yearling stimmie is bigger than her) that she'll calm down. I've encountered quite a few olives, they're by far my favourite python.

I was just wondering if frequently handling a cold snake would achieve the same effect (calm them down) as handling a warm one, but with less bites.
My snakes are really well-behaved, I'm not concerned about handling them at all.

That's odd, all of mine are more agressive when they're cold...
Interesting to see how different snakes react :)

Well in that case I guess it just comes down to different snakes having different temperaments.
Darn snakes being individuals and making it hard to get a straight answer *shakes fist*

My two olives are good handlers, but extremely aggressive feeders, especially the male. Give her time to settle in and being so small she is probably hungry or more likely starving! She should be twice the size :) Good luck with her, they are awesome snakes, love mine.

Just a comment, wasn't there something on the news years ago about some reptile park cooling their croc's before handling them?

You are right. definatly the colder the snake the easier to handle and less the bite. I find it with wild pythons all the time, when they are very warm even diamonds can change into a narky, fast moving, snappy animal that will bite if given the chance. But the same snake cooled down goes back to placid and slow and not inclined to bite.

Handling when cool, is a good way to get your snake used to you. But, be aware that snakes don't like being handled, so when they are hot they are more likely to act on the insecurity they feel. Just as they are more likely to attack prey/feed, or move.

My Olives are getting even more relaxed about handling the bigger they get . [ 10ft + 8ft atm ] I suppose they have little to worry about when they are huge :] They still smash their rats though .

My question: If you had an aggressive snake and cooled it down before handling so that it was less inclined to bite, would handling it then calm it down in the long run? Would it still work the same as handling them when they're warm?

I think you should just give the snake time to get used to you, especially you walking past it's enclosure. This may take a while. For one of my olives it took about 3 years, and I actually had to cover the glass for some time.

Cooling the snake probably wont work because they feel more vunerable at that time (too sluggish to defend itself or take off). Also, I believe that snakes also become mentally sluggish (as well as physically) when they are cooled, and don't think straight, so the snake won't really remember any of the 'progress' you think you may have made by holding it while it's cold. And once warm, it will return to it's defensive self.

I just slowly hook them out now and then and give them a few minutes just being around me, not necessarily holding them. I've actually found that they get used to me quickly if I hook them out and let them be close to me on the lawn.

Thanks Serpent Tongue! That was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm definitely giving her some time to chill by herself, digest a big meal (about time) and then after a week or so we'll get to handling. I'm not worried at all about handling my girl, copped a few bites recently, no big deal.
But yeah, I had no plans to cool her before handling. I was interested in the theory behind it though.
Thanks for the answers!

How do people 'theoretically' cool the snake before handling them? Pop them in the fridge for a few minutes? :shock: I would think that terrifying a poor creature before handling it would definately be a huge minus, not to mention how cruel it is......

I dont know if changing a snakes temperature suddenly can damage/injure them in any way (like tropical fish.... sudden temp change can kill/white spot) but I for one would not be reccommending it.

Feed him up, let him get used to you... go from there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back