Anzac Day

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
May we remember them, lest we forget.

Honouring the memory and respecting the great sacrifice that the ANZACS and all our defence forces made in both world wars.

For the fallen

“...They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them...”

Laurence Binyon (1869–1943)

Last edited:
"Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn"

It is a day of commemoration.

Lest We Forget.

Thanks guys...
I think that everyone should raise a glass or cuppa and spend at least a moment today to think about those that fought in the wars.

I think people should remember it's not another excuse to party, it's a somber day of remembrance.
It's great that families are embracing it.

For the fallen

The sacrifice that they and their families made was enormous and the effects are still being felt today, either directly or indirectly.
My grandfather died in the war and it still effects my family today albeit indirectly.
I reckon that millions of Australians and New Zealanders were effected, none more so than those that fought and died and their families.

Last edited:
It is truly humbling to think of what a brave few have experienced. I am proud to call myself an Australian.

Lest We Forget.

on Anzac day i especially think of the world war 2 diggers like Bushmans grandfather.Theres is the greatest story of victory ,and i cant imagine what Australia would be like with out there sacrifices.
Where did your Grandfather serve Bushman?
My great uncle whos still alive is our families hero who fought in the middle east then came back to Papua New Guinea to fight.

Just watched the Dawn Service which I found quite moving

Lest We Forget

You betcha we won't forget because we are Aussies

Cheers
Sandee :)

ANZAC Day goes beyond the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli in 1915. It is the day we remember all Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. The spirit of ANZAC, with its human qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity. On ANZAC day, ceremonies are held in towns and cities across the nation to acknowledge the service of our veterans

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them...

Did you also realise, although it is not noted in the name, that the Cook Islands, Niue, Pitcairn, and Tonga also all share the remembrance on this day?

I always note that during NZ ceremonies we always remember our brothers in Australia. While in Australia, it didn't seem as reciprocal and I always found that disappointing.

I am always moved by the ceremonies on both sides of the Tasman, but this year, I helped my daughter with her homework. She was to write a letter as a soldier at ANZAC Cove, back to his parents. I discovered an awesome diary on the internet of an Australian trained New Zealand soldier from Stratford (Taranaki in the North Island). We picked a few weeks from the diary and looked at the real events that occurred on those days and incorporated it into the letter she was writing. There were some amazing stories.

ANZAC Story (this was where we found the diary).

Paul,

Youll be happy too know at the ADFA dawn service they did make mention of NZ involvement, with some unfortunate souls mentioned on the Honour Roll as well, the NZ anthem was also sung followed by Advance Australia fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back