Need help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hbruno

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a female Diamond which has an IR, and of which I do not manage to cure her of it.
Could anyone advise me what is the most adapted antibiotic, as well as his posology, the most able to cure her definitively of this disease.
I have already treated her with BAYTRIL, CLAMOXIL 1 g (amoxicilline), and then, I begin again a cure of 5 injections Baytril . But nevertheless , the infection is lying about in the time.

I do not really want to let die a snake without reactions of my part

I thank for your help, and answer

Bruno

I have a female Diamond which has an IR, and of which I do not manage to cure her of it.
Could anyone advise me what is the most adapted antibiotic, as well as his posology, the most able to cure her definitively of this disease.
I have already treated her with BAYTRIL, CLAMOXIL 1 g (amoxicilline), and then, I begin again a cure of 5 injections Baytril . But nevertheless , the infection is lying about in the time.

I do not really want to let die a snake without reactions of my part

I thank for your help, and answer

Bruno

I know that you probably are trying to avoid taking your snake to the vet, but since you have tried a number of fairly broad spectrum antibiotics (which I must say, I NEVER recommend- antibiotic resistance is a dangerous thing) I would bite the bullet an get her looked at. It may be that the vet needs to take a swab and send it away for identification so that you can find out what antibiotics will definitely work for her.

It is impossible to know which antibiotic will work best if you don't know the causative organism. Get her seen.

do vets know anything about diamonds in france?

sorry I can't help but sure hope you get a fix and quick mate

the causative organism

Also with a swab for identification : result PSEUDOMONAS

Normally on the other snake than diamond, it's well treated with Baytril, clamoxyl, or with amikacine, in last.
But with Diamond, it's not the same, the pseudomonas resists, and the infection is lying about in the time .
It is wile, I come to inquire with you.
In the USA, I had read that they use FORTAZ.

do vets know anything about diamonds in france?

No I do not think that in France, we have veterinary there which are able looking, or know anything about diamonds .
There is just a few persons who maintain them in captivity in France, and I am the only one who reproduce them in France, it is not really frequent. The breeders are very afraid of this problem of IR, and are afraid to maintain Diamonds.

Also with a swab for identification : result PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA

Last edited:
I understand that there are not really any diamonds in France, but pseudo is a fairly common bug - in humans at least! They should be able to provide you some healthcare for your snake. Im definately not having a shot at you im just concerned that the vets are incapable if treating a common infectious agent :?I'm no vet, so I couldn't tell you how well it works in snakes and what dose is best, but gentamicin and norfloxacin are usually used to treat a pseudo infection in humans.

Definately explains why the amoxicillin wasn't working, pseudo is always completely resistant to it :) But I am curious about the enrofloxacin (baytril)... It is very similar to norfloxacin and should be working in theory. If it were me, I would try gentamicin. I'm not sure where you would find the dosage information (sorry) but I do wish you and your snake the best of luck and I hope she gets better soon :)

Please know that I am NOT a vet in any way shape or form. I work in a pathology lab dealing ONLY with human samples. This is what works best in humans but I cannot guarantee it will work just as well in snakes.

Edit: I have just come across this website. Apparently it's easy to overdose a snake of gentamicin, be careful and sounds like you have a nasty infection going on!
Merck Veterinary Manual
This article is not directly related to diamonds in any way, but just food for thought
A new dosing schedule for gentamicin in - PubMed Mobile

Last edited:
:) Thank you for your help,
pseudo is a fairly common bug, effectively, but It seems that these Pseudo, will resists at Baytril, at certains snakes. I used both medicines in association, by alternating the injections of products. A day the one, the next day the other one.
That get better, but there are still whites which go back up,the infection is lying about in the time.
I had the same problem, with, a WC jung Morelia clastolepis last year. It was necessary 2 months to cure him totally, and save him.
I am in the snake since my childhood, and I find that the 5/10 last years, there is more and more often IR infection in privates breedings.
I ask me, if this bacterium which is inofensive in human, did not develop a resistance at certain antibiotic to snakes.

i'll try Gentamicin,

Bruno

Pseudo is a really nasty bug....and it is opportunistic and hangs around......and picks hosts that have compromised immunity. I know you have been in snakes a long time....but would it be worth putting some inof up about how you are keeping your snake....just ot make sure youve got the right conditions

When my Dad had pneumonia which was caused by pseudo they treated him with a drug called Timentin....not sure if this is helpful.

just ot make sure youve got the right conditions
Oh yes, I have a group of 6 adultes Diamond since 2007, an 2 juveniles born at home last year, and i have only problems with one female. I'm looking Morning and evening after works, at all my snakes, all days.
And nevertheless, the pseoudomonas starts, without I find the source of the problem. But I am not the only one in that case, we intend more and more to speak about IR. I'll look of the web about timentin, see the spectre of action of Pseudo on snakes.
It is a real problem !!
Thank for your answer
Bruno

The standard meds used here are baytril or fortum.The later doesn't cause scaring like baytril can.

I have looked on the web about Fortum (ceftazidime), it will able to Eradicate in 80 % of the cases the pseudo, in snakes. I' ll try this one, and keep you informed about the continuation

Bruno

Go the Fortum, only way I'd ever use Baytril again is orally if i cant get Fortum.

Ceftazidime (Fortum or other trade name depending on your supply) is the best choice for gram negative infections (including Pseudomonas) in reptiles. It can be nebulised as well as injected but it is relatively expensive. It would be my choice in your situation but you need to make sure you get enough to give the proper doses for a long enough treatment course (suggest 4 to 6 weeks since you have already had treatment failure previously)

Baytril will work but has more downsides. Your initial treatment may have failed for many reasons (incorrect dose, not treating for long enough, conditions which predisposed to infection not fixed etc) but as you have not given us much information I cannot comment further.

As mentioned above, gentamicin/tobramycin/amikacin will work but are very toxic, especially to the kidneys.

As far as I know, timentin is not used in reptiles. Neither is meropenem or any of the carbapenem family. I'm not sure why not as they both have good activity against most gram-negative organisms but it may just be that the research into their effectiveness has not been done yet.

Ok, I thank you, and all others who answerd me, I'll give fortum, and will give you news about this female diamond next time

Thank's Bruno

Hi Tsubaki

The timentin was really effective for Dad. He was so terribly sick when he got pneumonia and it overtook him for 3 and a half days he was out to it. I sat with him all that time to make sure he didnt pull his catheter out (ouch) and my best friend who is a nurse said if he doesnt wake up by the end of the 4th day it is likely the infection will overtake him. On Day 4 about lunchtime he opened his eyes and looked at me and said 'hello little girl kid'....it was amazing really what that drug did. It is a shame that it hasnt been tried in snakes. Mind you the pseudo is nasty...apparently it mutates and once you use one drug if you get it again you have to use something different because the new infection is resistant to what has been used before. Could it be they arent letting the timentin be as widely used because they are wanting to preserve its effectiveness and not have it go out inot mainstream use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back