Morelia spilota metcalfei in the Blue Mountains?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conners

Reaction score
Please can anyone tell me if they are aware of reports of Murray Darling carpet pythons as far east as towns in the Blue Mountains?

Specifically, I am following up on anecdotal reports of MDs in Bathurst. Similarly I have heard reports of Diamond pythons in the same location, with the implication that this is an area of intergradation between the two subspecies. The suggestion is that Diamonds have traversed river valleys in locations such as Lithgow to reach Bathurst.

Justin Julander's brilliant new book The Complete Carpet Python seems to make clear that the Great Diving Range separates this two subspecies by a significant distance, so I am wondering how reliable such accounts are. He also seems to place the western limit for the Diamond python east of areas such as Blackheath and Katoomba where there are supposed to be reports.

Can anyone shed any light based on their personal experiences?

P.S. I am on the other side of the world so I apologise if my geography is shaky.

Please can anyone tell me if they are aware of reports of Murray Darling carpet pythons as far east as towns in the Blue Mountains?

Specifically, I am following up on anecdotal reports of MDs in Bathurst. Similarly I have heard reports of Diamond pythons in the same location, with the implication that this is an area of intergradation between the two subspecies. The suggestion is that Diamonds have traversed river valleys in locations such as Lithgow to reach Bathurst.

Justin Julander's brilliant new book The Complete Carpet Python seems to make clear that the Great Diving Range separates this two subspecies by a significant distance, so I am wondering how reliable such accounts are. He also seems to place the western limit for the Diamond python east of areas such as Blackheath and Katoomba where there are supposed to be reports.

Can anyone shed any light based on their personal experiences?

P.S. I am on the other side of the world so I apologise if my geography is shaky.

I cant say for in that direction but I have found diamond/coastal intermediates (yes I think that intergrade implies a crossing of the 2 subs instead of the factual transition) as far as wooli nsw. So much so that some look like straight diamonds and others with the blotches joining together and starting to resemble a coastal, but this is well above the so called diamond limit. Having traveled that stretch of oz countless times with a huge python count I have no confidence in the sub sp in the spilota sp's. As for MD's if you travel west of Grafton it becomes difficult to say if the snake is a coastal or a muddy colored MD. We have also found diamond like carpets (very dark olive with large but defind blotches) up in the range near grafton along the new england hwy.

I used to live in Bathurst and have found 2 Diamond Pythons about 40kms North West of Bathurst. I know other people who have also found Diamonds there as well. This is the furthest West I have heard of them being found.
c0947563-a22b-23a3.jpg

I cant say for in that direction but I have found diamond/coastal intermediates (yes I think that intergrade implies a crossing of the 2 subs instead of the factual transition) as far as wooli nsw. So much so that some look like straight diamonds and others with the blotches joining together and starting to resemble a coastal, but this is well above the so called diamond limit. Having traveled that stretch of oz countless times with a huge python count I have no confidence in the sub sp in the spilota sp's. As for MD's if you travel west of Grafton it becomes difficult to say if the snake is a coastal or a muddy colored MD. We have also found diamond like carpets (very dark olive with large but defind blotches) up in the range near grafton along the new england hwy.
are you talking about wooli up near coffs harbour just that i live at mullaway and i have noticed a very very big difference in the coastals around here ive seen some that where a blacky grey with almost white markings and some are really really greeny yellow others just really black with brown markings a hell of alot of a big variation all being found in the same small section of national parks but i didn't think that we got diamonds up here so i just thought they where coastals?

are you talking about wooli up near coffs harbour just that i live at mullaway and i have noticed a very very big difference in the coastals around here ive seen some that where a blacky grey with almost white markings and some are really really greeny yellow others just really black with brown markings a hell of alot of a big variation all being found in the same small section of national parks but i didn't think that we got diamonds up here so i just thought they where coastals?

Yep, most of the carpets I found out that way were olive and yellow with the occasional brown. In the NP near the mouth of the wooli wooli river most of the carpets would fit more into the diamond category. Where as up in Maclean we found most of the pythons (not all) had distinct carpet patterns and quite a few were black and white. I have heard that not even 1oo k south of lismore they are diamonds but I havent seen with my own eyes.

I've seen some amazing diamonds on the road between lismore and nimbin

Thanks for the fascinating info, everyone. Much appreciated.

I used to live in Bathurst and have found 2 Diamond Pythons about 40kms North West of Bathurst. I know other people who have also found Diamonds there as well. This is the furthest West I have heard of them being found.

Great photo of a beautiful python there, Jase. Is this one of the ones you found NW of Bathurst?

Last edited:
Yes it is. I have only found the 2, both over 2 metres. The one in the pic was so quite but the 2nd was exactly the opposite. They were both close to a river that runs from the Blue Mountains, but at least 50kms from the foot of the mountains. Iv never heard of them any further west.

nsw species list allows for a diamond/md intergrade/hybrid so i can only guess that it is possible to occur in the wild. i would be interested to learn more of this happening in the wild.

Thanks for the info guys. So, seems clear that M.s.spilota gets further west than all of the printed sources I'd read suggest.

I have seen a photo in a late 80's-early 90's publication (long forgot the name) that showed a MD/Diamond natural intergrade from the western blue mountains.

Again the concept of intergrade is misunderstood by the majority of posters. Sigh!

The post by jase75 is interesting,used to hear of carpets from the hillend area,had one from near woodstock.
Richard Wells told me years back that he saw a python in a hollow log near Mt Victoria that looked like a carpet.
There was or still is MDs near tarana in the late 60s,other places like jenolan caves and Mt Wilson on the western extremities have diamonds.

The post by jase75 is interesting,used to hear of carpets from the hillend area,had one from near woodstock.
Richard Wells told me years back that he saw a python in a hollow log near Mt Victoria that looked like a carpet.
There was or still is MDs near tarana in the late 60s,other places like jenolan caves and Mt Wilson on the western extremities have diamonds.

Yes I have heard of carpets from the Hill End area too. The Diamond in the picture isn't to far from Hill End. Quite a few Diamonds around Jenolan and Kanangra area. I have also heard of Carpets around Blaney .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back