Is another cane toad coming? Find out at this months AHS meeting!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
This months talk will feature Dustin Welbourne from the Canberra Reptile Sanctuary

Dustin is currently undertaking a PhD with the University of New South Wales full time and a Masters in Science Communication part time with the Australian National University. He also owns the Canberra Reptile Sanctuary, a not for profit association dedicated to promoting herpetological research, conservation, and education.
Over the past 2 years Dustin has been using modelling techniques to assess Australia’s susceptibility to invasion by non-indigenous reptile species.

There are now more than 80 invasive vertebrates that call Australia home. Though most of these vertebrates are mammals, non-indigenous reptiles are a huge concern given the growth of the pet industry, and especially so due to the diversity of reptiles Australia hosts.

In recent years, many exotic species have been seized from private collections or found in the wild with more turning up regularly, are we on the verge of the next cane toad?

Well, to find out you'd better be at The Sydney Mechanics School of Arts at 280 Pitt Street Sydney. at 7:30pm, Wednesday the 27th.

If you've never been along this month will be a great way to start. Hope to see you all there.

Sounds like a meeting not to be missed!

I must say the last meeting was one of the best I have been to, it was well worth the trip!!

Yes Josh, it should be a good one.See you there

Sorry everyone, the meeting is on Friday the 27th due to Anzac day

Last edited:
Is anyone actually going to do something about the invasion or just talk about it?
It all sounds very good.

Cheers
Ian

Is anyone actually going to do something about the invasion or just talk about it.
Cheers
Ian

If John Howard was still in power he would intercept them at sea and have the navy fire upon them and the ones that survive he would shove in a zoo in the desert.:?

How long does the meeting last? Is it ok to come a tad late as I have to wait for hubby to come home and mind the kids.

We normally kick off around 7:30 and depending on the speaker it normally runs for another 90 mins or so...yes, you can come late

Sounds like a meeting not to be missed!

I must say the last meeting was one of the best I have been to, it was well worth the trip!!

Never thought of "live" autotopsies as a great welcoming activity but then it must have been!

I'll have to put a dead reptile into next months auction and gauge the interest

Is anyone actually going to do something about the invasion or just talk about it?
It all sounds very good.
Prof. Rick Shine & his university team are conducting studies for impact, possible controls etc for the cane toad.
We were fortunate to have Rick do a presentation at AHS a while back, they are doing some very interesting work.

Never thought of "live" autotopsies as a great welcoming activity but then it must have been!
I'll have to put a dead reptile into next months auction and gauge the interest
haha yes I thought the aroma of deceased reptiles (especially the lacey) may have been off putting to new members last month.
It was a very interesting presentation, that's for sure!

Unfortunately I can't make it this month, I hope you all have a great night, I'm sure the presentation will be fascinating.

thanks to my 19 month old daughter developing supertoddler strength and managing to topple a gecko enclosure as i was leaving the house, i will miss the meeting as i missed the train.
I really enjoyed catching 6 geckos and about 50 roaches that fled the scene of shattered glass shards all over my kitchen floor too.

A big thank you to Dustin for making the trip up from the ACT.
The change of night kept the numbers down which was a real shame. Dustin really knows his stuff, and is a very engaging speaker.
Hopefully we'll be able to entice him back sometime soon.

i loved it. was a very interesting topic that really posed some moral questions, such as the cattle issue up north. can't remember the name of the cattle, but they are endangered everywhere else in the world and we now have the largest population.

would love to hear dustin do another talk somewhere down the line.

oh and next time i am going to setup some bear traps around out tea and coffee so nobody (silly old ladies from a different group) will be pinching all our stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back