A few days up the Finnis River

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a few days up the Finnis River. Some pics.

Our camp (old pro crabbers camp but all the commercial fisherman have been booted out)
DSC_0411.jpg

In the mornings we set the crab pots then headed upstream to the flood plains where the floodwaters are draining off. Full of small barra (and some biguns) and freshwater stingrays (very beautiful) and some rediculously large salties in channels 3 meters wide and 1.5 meters deep. (our little boat fits up these but we had some very close encounters. Bird life was abundant.

DSC_0431.jpg
DSC_0426.jpg
DSC_0424.jpg
DSC_0422.jpg
DSC_0414.jpg

these black shags were on a diving expedition and surfaced next to the boat- woops! they left quick

DSC_0437.jpg

I love jabiru, they are ungainly and stately at the same time and the colours are fantastic

DSC_0442.jpg
DSC_0439.jpg

burdekin duck and typical river rat. Some were smaller than the lure. Barra have attitude! You wouldn't believe the fish you can pull out of these little channels.

DSC_0456.jpg
DSC_0449.jpg
DSC_0453.jpg
DSC_0451.jpg

this dragonfly liked my mates hat and stayed there for 20 minutes, even at full throttle!

DSC_0466.jpg

Back to the camp for lunch then out to mouth to bounce some bait. Lots of crocs and birds.

DSC_0476.jpg
DSC_0470.jpg

This was my best for the trip, a 1.3 meter jewie. He towed us around the river for 20minutes (not much you can do with 8kg line and a 22kg fish!) He wrapped around the anchor rope twice while we played Twister trying to lift the anchor, not lose the fish and not fall out of the micro tinnie. Note the happy belly full of mud crab and beer. :D (mine!)

DSC_0480.jpg

Finally here's what happened when a Mexican decided to take his rented 4WD for a spin on the mudflats at Easter. he he he he, we love mexicans!

DSC_0490.jpg

Unfortunately my 18-35mm lens packed it in so I missed some great "big picture" shots of the river but there's always next time. Hope you like it, I did!

Great pics. Did the crocs think the mexicans were a bit too spicy or what? :shock:

No, the real people dragged him back to the beach before the tide came in, hope he didn't have budget insurance!

awesome pics i'd love to catch a barra!!

Great pictures of a beautiful land Steve, thanks for sharing.

Mexican?? Australia has a large population of Mexicans??

so jealous right now looks like a hell of a time.....the fourby looks like an older model dual cab navara so no great loss haha

Yes mmfan, huge population in Australia, they hide in bags of nachos (which we are quite fond of) and come in illegally and pose as locals.

You can tell from the roof? We'll be targetting it as a structure later but 3 boats have hit it at speed when it's under and there's no joy in that.

south of the border cobber,

NSW/ QLD/ WA/ SA/ Victoria/ the rest.

This is the Top End. It's different.

Last edited:
roof of most vehicles can tell you more than you realise, just like you would notice things out walking I would miss ;) and I bet it's a nasty shock especially in a tinny omg would hurt from your toes to your ears

and of course it's different up there you got the best bush in Australia

Steve and i would be pleased to have your company ssssnakeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back