ls "cheap" cheap l don't think so

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are also breeders out there who honestly love their snakes, know what they're doing and they also like to make a buck. :D Don't dismiss them.

Last edited:
that is true also, I guess what I meant is always even when the snake is expensive look at the breeder and their attitude don't think just because it is a bit pricier you are getting quality. LOOK around check things out not happy walk away.

I bought my first snake 8 months ago, first I did my research on breeds, hardiness, temperment and size using a lot of site (including this one) I decided on a Bredli and set about making enquiries, I found a few avliable and went out to have a look first person (lets not call them a breeder) I went in asked to have a look "can I hold the hatchie" "no sorry just had 1st feed may throw up" """warning bells"""" "can I have a look at the parents" "no prob mate" took me to a room with two snakes housed together in a 4x2x2 enclosure "can I hold one" "nah mate sorry they don't like people" I said thanks but no thanks and left. This person was selling more expensive ones!!!! !

I don't get why you got upset or warning bells when he said that you can't hold them as they just got fed?( not having a go) Or the bit about not being able to hold the parents? Maybe it is just me but i don't think there is anything wrong with that? I rarely let anyone else hold my snakes, especially other snake keepers. Sounds like he was just practising some good hubandry/quarrantine?

I don't get why you got upset or warning bells when he said that you can't hold them as they just got fed?( not having a go) Or the bit about not being able to hold the parents? Maybe it is just me but i don't think there is anything wrong with that? I rarely let anyone else hold my snakes, especially other snake keepers. Sounds like he was just practising some good hubandry/quarrantine?

You have a good point there but there are precautions you can take to let others hold them , alcahol wash or waer a disposable doctor gown lol.
But I do think if you have cash in ya wallet and about to take it home your gonna take it anyway holding one won't hurt, unless the animal 'just' Fed

I bought my first snake 8 months ago, first I did my research on breeds, hardiness, temperment and size using a lot of site (including this one) I decided on a Bredli and set about making enquiries, I found a few avliable and went out to have a look first person (lets not call them a breeder) I went in asked to have a look "can I hold the hatchie" "no sorry just had 1st feed may throw up" """warning bells"""" "can I have a look at the parents" "no prob mate" took me to a room with two snakes housed together in a 4x2x2 enclosure "can I hold one" "nah mate sorry they don't like people" I said thanks but no thanks and left. This person was selling more expensive ones!!!! Next breeder I went to showed me feed and shed records had all defecations marked, let me hold all the bubs and both parents. I picked the cheaper one not because she was cheap but because she was the calmest and I have an 8 year old that loves snakes, she wasn't cheap because she was nasty and not advertised as such but because the rest of the clutch were hypo and she was the most classic of all markings. I don't think cheap means nasty but I think there are "breeders"out there just to make a buck and there are people who honestly love their snakes and bred!!!!!!!

We NEVER allow anyone to handle a snake they are looking at until they have paid for it! As for viewing or handling the adults you would not get in the same room as them in the first place, There are photo's for this purpose! We have a very strict quarantine practice in place and
this does not allow for people having a play! If this was to happen ( and it wont) this would mean the snake would have to be housed at our quarantine address for the next 6-12 months!
We value our collection as well as the hatchlings we produce from this collection hence this practice!

....... I went in asked to have a look "can I hold the hatchie" "no sorry just had 1st feed may throw up" """warning bells"""" "can I have a look at the parents" "no prob mate" took me to a room with two snakes housed together in a 4x2x2 enclosure "can I hold one" "nah mate sorry they don't like people" I said thanks but no thanks and left. .......!

I don't consider this a bad trait in a seller. For the safety and health of their collection, they have every right to refuse to allow people to handle their animals. You can be carrying mites or any kind of germs from one person's collection to another, and handling every one's animals until you decide which one you want, means you have potentially contaminated everybody's collection.

I buy what I want, based on the appearance of the animal, not its price. I joined a two year waiting queue for 2 pairs of snakes from SXR, and spent the two years paying them off, $15 a week and they were paid off 6 weeks before they were due to ship out.

There are also breeders out there who honestly love their snakes, know what they're doing and they also like to make a buck. :D Don't dismiss them.

those complaining about people making money, do they give their stock away, free to good home with buy-back guarantees? i bet not. So even the critics are guilty of making money from their hobby, whether they sell them for more or less.

I understand about the quarantine issue with the parents my issue with what he said came most from the "1st" feed bit of what he said about hatchies as everything I have read seen or heard says they should be feeding well and have had a shed. Also never said I have an issue with people making money but making it by selling babies before they are ready to go is not as far as I'm concerned is bad practice in any animal. I bred
ed dogs and wouldn't let a pup go before it is eating well and will be able to be by itself. I understand snakes don't need mum but to sell a hatchie before it's feeding etc isn't that the same sort of thing.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with graduating it from a hobby to an income producing business. I think it is necessary for progress and longevity. I turned Stein Enclosures from a hobby to a full fledged business about a year and a half ago, which allowed me to spend a lot more time and money on enclosures and the quality of my product has improved massively as a result. From the humble beginnings of foam and render walls and timber framed glass doors they now boast full drainage, frameless glass doors, built in aquariums and a custom rock product that looks real and is strong enough even for lace monitors. We now send them all around Australia and hopefully soon the world. None of this would have happened had I kept it as a hobby. What I am trying to say to all the people who seem to bag anyone for wanting to make income from the reptile industry, I think it's healthy as long as their principles are in order and they are not out to rip people off.

I understand about the quarantine issue with the parents my issue with what he said came most from the "1st" feed bit of what he said about hatchies as everything I have read seen or heard says they should be feeding well and have had a shed. Also never said I have an issue with people making money but making it by selling babies before they are ready to go is not as far as I'm concerned is bad practice in any animal. I bred
ed dogs and wouldn't let a pup go before it is eating well and will be able to be by itself. I understand snakes don't need mum but to sell a hatchie before it's feeding etc isn't that the same sort of thing.

You're right. A good breeder would not sell an animal that is not eating well, and voluntarily. I personally don't let babies go until they have had at least three unassisted feeds - this means they are taking their food eagerly without needing to be teased. But in saying this, the buyer needs to address some common sense and responsibility, too. I have sold good feeders only to have the buyers contact me because their new snake is refusing to eat. One came back to me 3 weeks after I sold it because the buyer was scared of it. I deliberately picked out my best feeder for him knowing his lack of experience, but that little snake came back to me refusing to eat for 6 weeks before i resorted to trying a live mouse. The snake pounced on it straight away, but still would not eat a thawed one straight after. I had to feed him live for 4 weeks before I finally got him back onto dead food. He was eating well and back to normal so let him go. The next buyer, an experienced snake keeper could not get that snake eating properly and had to resort to force feeding.

So while I agree a good breeder makes sure they are selling healthy, feeding snakes, what happens once they leave the seller, isn't always an issue that is the fault of the seller. So always talk to the sellers before blasting them on here. Issues can often be simply resolved, saving everyone un-necessary heartache.

Was the seller willing to let you take the snake home that has only 1 feed before it was established? Did you ask when they were willing to let it go?

Was the seller willing to let you take the snake home that has only 1 feed before it was established? Did you ask when they were willing to let it go?

Yes was taking home that day. (hatchie had been fed two days before) Hence "warning bells"

You're right. A good breeder would not sell an animal that is not eating well, and voluntarily. I personally don't let babies go until they have had at least three unassisted feeds - this means they are taking their food eagerly without needing to be teased. But in saying this, the buyer needs to address some common sense and responsibility, too. I have sold good feeders only to have the buyers contact me because their new snake is refusing to eat. One came back to me 3 weeks after I sold it because the buyer was scared of it. I deliberately picked out my best feeder for him knowing his lack of experience, but that little snake came back to me refusing to eat for 6 weeks before i resorted to trying a live mouse. The snake pounced on it straight away, but still would not eat a thawed one straight after. I had to feed him live for 4 weeks before I finally got him back onto dead food. He was eating well and back to normal so let him go. The next buyer, an experienced snake keeper could not get that snake eating properly and had to resort to force feeding.

So while I agree a good breeder makes sure they are selling healthy, feeding snakes, what happens once they leave the seller, isn't always an issue that is the fault of the seller. So always talk to the sellers before blasting them on here. Issues can often be simply resolved, saving everyone un-necessary heartache.

I would have thought walking away was common sense for me, I have handled and looked after adult established snakes but this was my first hatchie, therefore I wanted a snake that had had a few feeds and a shed, I am not blasting the seller simply stating this seemed off to me. The seller I ended up getting Chop off said call anytime any problem so far we haven't had any, the other guy basically wanted me to take a hatchie and was very pissed that I left without one saying I wouldn't find better for his "price" maybe shes not the prettiest (although I think she is lovely) but she has a great temperment and feeds exceptionally well. Maybe the other would have been fine but being a sorta newbie I went with my gut that something was off.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing you acted sensibly. I would have done the same. i would not buy a hatchling that's had just one feed. I was just commenting, that once you do get one home, be sure you stay in contact with the person you buy from. Nobody knows your hatchling better than its breeder.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing you acted sensibly. I would have done the same. i would not buy a hatchling that's had just one feed. I was just commenting, that once you do get one home, be sure you stay in contact with the person you buy from. Nobody knows your hatchling better than its breeder.

For me it would all depend on the breed of snake
I would happily buy a Jungle Diamond or Olive that had only had one feed or even no feed if they looked healthy
Thats because they are all garbage guts and easy to get feeding

But I would probably walk away from Albino Darwin, Golden tree snake, GTP,and probably a few others as they are noted as being more difficult to get started in many instances

Basically every situation is different and seldom black and white
Simply various shades of grey

So it is up to the individual buyer and their knowledge and expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back