Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've set up my rack system with careful attention to detail, so if a snake ever got cooked in my setup it would likely be caused by a faulty heat panel, faulty heat cord, faulty thermostat, etc.

BOTH heat cord and the heat panels in my rack system are controlled by independent thermostats. Heat cord thermostat is set at 28 degrees, and heat panel is set to 34 degrees.

Right now, as I type, the hot end is exactly 35.3 degrees as measured with IR gun. Cool end is 27.2......not bad at all.

Ben, the idea is to set your heating up so even if your thermostat fails and its on full bore it still wont get hot enough to fry your snake.
What I do is set my heating up so its adequate even without a thermostat, then have the thermostat as a fail safe and fine tuning tool.

All I run is heatmats with no thermostat. Never had an issue. The one time I ran a thermostat on a rack I had feeding issues. Removed the thermostat and bam. All good. I don't believe cool end temps matter at all as long as they have a good hot spot.

Ben, the idea is to set your heating up so even if your thermostat fails and its on full bore it still wont get hot enough to fry your snake.
What I do is set my heating up so its adequate even without a thermostat, then have the thermostat as a fail safe and fine tuning tool.

Josh, I use 25w 4.3m heat cords, and I use the FB17 Freedom Breeder rack. I really can't see how, if the thermostat fails, that my snakes will ever get cooked.
25w distributed over 4.3m means about 15 degree+ on ambient temps. If ambient temps get to say 30 in my house, that's 45 degrees, right on the heat cord, not in the tubs, which are about 3 degrees cooler. The 50w heat cords are a different story and you need to be careful with those. If you're that way, I'd use two thermostats, use a dimmer stat for the heat cord, and then use a standard On/Off thermostat as backup, set the backup at the ambient temp where the heat cord would overheat if the dimming thermostat failed, say at 25 degrees, and you should be fine.

The heat panels are double insulated and also protected by a reasonably thick metal place which is what the rack tubs actually sit on. The heat mats don't get terribly hot, about 40 degrees from memory. In fact I think my 25w heat cords get hotter than those panels, and they will not fry my snake. I have air conditioning in summer, so that keeps the max temps at my house at 31 degrees.

Seriously, I'd be much, much, much more concerned about the A/C system failure. Now that WOULD fry my snakes. It gets pretty hot, and inside it can be up to 5-6 degrees hotter than outside. Let's just say if it got to 40 degrees outside and my A/C failed I'd be up sheet creek in a barbwire canoe.

To the point, I am going to get my A/C looked at (or maybe even get a new one) where if the power fails it will automatically restart. Right now, it can't do that. So either I can get a small resistor changed in the A/C system that will enable the auto-restart or get a new unit. I will ask around. Daikin seem like a good brand, and at $1500 it isn't a bad option. I'm also going to get a new gas hot water system installed so I'll probably do it all at once, before the end of the year.

Last edited:
549188_10150852609705522_586300521_11839338_1550887401_n.jpg

Toruk and Nihona :) They were just in this enclosure overnight until i could get them into their 4ft, not that they seemed overly concerned!

Gorgeous colourings and markings there Kitarsha. Are they a topaz tanami line??? Still deciding on which I prefer. Guess it will depend on whats available within the next month.

had the funniest thing i have seen happen today.

I was feeding my hatchies when one launched and missed the rat but caught her tail. she kept fighting her tail for about 5 minutes then found the rat. was halarious.

Some nice ones there No-two, are they all siblings?

I don't think so. And I'm gonna take a stab in the dark ad say bottom left is SA, the top middle is a topaz and the photo is a bit to blury to guess the others but I'm gonna say there's 2 Wa's at least.

I don't think so. And I'm gonna take a stab in the dark ad say bottom left is SA, the top middle is a topaz and the photo is a bit to blury to guess the others but I'm gonna say there's 2 Wa's at least.

As you can imagine its not easy to get them to all sit still in a group like that. The SA and Topaz are pretty easy the others three are WAs.

A few recent shots, photo's don't do these guys any justice.
So cleanly banded and 1/2 have really orange bellies and the others yellow ones.
Dont know what significance that has but its pretty cool.

Attachments

• woma 012.jpg
    woma 012.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 88
  • woma 013.jpg
    woma 013.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 93
  • woma 0014.jpg
    woma 0014.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 92
  • woma 016.jpg
    woma 016.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 93
  • woma 017.jpg
    woma 017.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 108
  • woma 019.jpg
    woma 019.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 107
  • woma 021.jpg
    woma 021.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 99
  • woma 022.jpg
    woma 022.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 94
So cleanly banded and 1/2 have really orange bellies and the others yellow ones.

Wow, nice ones yommy.

Are these your Boodaries mate... never really thought of keeping womas before but yours are mighty temping. Definitely be hitting you up for some if I do decide to take the plunge.

Those Windora stimmies I got of you are doing really well... the boy has slowed on his feeding over the past month but the female is powering on through the winter, not missed a feed yet lol.

Are these your Boodaries mate... never really thought of keeping womas before but yours are mighty temping. Definitely be hitting you up for some if I do decide to take the plunge.

Those Windora stimmies I got of you are doing really well... the boy has slowed on his feeding over the past month but the female is powering on through the winter, not missed a feed yet lol.

good news on the Wins they were a nice pair.

Yes these are the Boodaries :)

Woma's are more addictive than the Ants :) these will be available jun/jul plenty of time to make a D.............

Hatched out some more Gold womas, here's a couple piccies.

Attachments

• womas April 2012 B.jpg
    womas April 2012 B.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 153
  • womas April 2012 C.jpg
    womas April 2012 C.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back