Help to identify this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrThumper

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify this....approx 2ft long
7340f849-05df-22d4.jpg

JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Do you all really think the OP wants guesses? Or their question answered with a question? When a ven is involved guesses are not OK! This isn't a vote, there is a right and wrong answer, no ammount of opinion will change what it is.

That snakes is a yellow face whips snake.

When it comes to IDing potentially dangerous animals, you shouldn't 'guess' or 'vote' if you have no real idea.. There is a significant difference between a yellow faced whip vs a brown snake, with the latter obviously being extremely dangerous. Having said this people should treat all snakes as dangerous- even if its only a mildly venomous species, you never know if you'll be one of the people to experience a severe reaction to the venom itself which is life threatening...

MrThumper, we get a lot of those yellow faced whips around here- I'm in the logan region on acreridge and they seem to be the most common snake species around here/our block that I've seen

an educated geuss is better than no-reply.

but yes, all snakes unless 100% positive id shouldn't be touched.

No it's not, if you don't know 100% at bare minimum the genus then you have no business commenting on potentially dangerous animals! Because if you are educated there is no way you need to guess an ID from a picture like that.

It's a Yellow Faced Whip Snake. I agree, no point guessing. It's nothing like a Brown Snake.

No it's not, if you don't know 100% at bare minimum the genus then you have no business commenting on potentially dangerous animals! Because if you are educated there is no way you need to guess an ID from a picture like that.

just because they are in different genus's doesn't mean they don't apear simalar in appear similar. anyway if some one was going to make a decision of any kind based on what is obviously a vote then maybe they do deserve to be bitten... just sayin

also a geuss would be to say it's a RBB, it's a blury picture and i'm color-blind so sorry if i had difficulty positivly id.ing an animal, atleast i bumped it so an expert could se it

just because they are in different genus's doesn't mean they don't apear simalar in appear similar. anyway if some one was going to make a decision of any kind based on what is obviously a vote then maybe they do deserve to be bitten... just sayin

That is the point!!!! If you can't identify the snake then you have no business commenting. A myriad of different snakes look similar and can be misidentified, that is why if they all look the same to you then you should say nothing.

also a geuss would be to say it's a RBB, it's a blury picture and i'm color-blind so sorry if i had difficulty positivly id.ing an animal, atleast i bumped it so an expert could se it

Is that what you did?

Usually when these threads come up I don't read what anyone else has posted, have a look at the photo or description, and in my head make a decision to what I think it is, if I'm pretty confident, I'll scroll down and have a look at what everyone else had posted, or if I'm not confident I'll have a look through some books to see if I can find what it is. I don't really want to make a guess, for pretty much the same reasons as waruikazi says.

But personally they are a good way to learn and I think I'm definitely getting better.. seeing as I really only became interested a few months ago..

An un-educated guess is worse than no reply ;)
If you can't tell that's a YFW from that photo (which is 100% obvious to those of us that can) you shouldn't comment.

Actually they are very different looking snakes, to those that know what to look for, that's why some people can confidently ID that snake from a blurry photo at a distance.

Also, no one has mention handling the snake... But since you brought it up, there is no reason why you couldn't safely handle an un-known snake (if you know how to), to distinguish between some species you need to count scales or have a closer look at head or ventral scales etc. Goodluck doing that without touching it.

Last edited:
I too like viewing these threads...

I would never try to ID a snake from a photo.... i dont have any experience in species, locality, etc....

I do however, like to find out so in future. I may be able to identify one.... not that i will comment. but maybe i might run into one in the bush...

plus it is a good educational experience to find out all the different and beautiful speices Australia has =)

IMO i do think it is a bit dangerous to have a "guess" as i have seen in my very little experience of being on this forum, people have caught and handled easern browns thinking they are harmless, posted pictures in a thread on here and found out they just handed one of Australia's no scrap that, the worlds deadlest snakes... very lucky that bloke. but anways...

happy iding ppl =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back