Need someone in Geelong to help with green tree frogs...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch_s

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is there anybody around Geelong that can help setup a frog enclosure, as far as heating and everything else goes...
im worried about my frogs being to cold and/or possibly sick.
Theres a few white dots on them and one seems to have gone greener than when I first got him and one has seemed to have gone more of a grey colour...
my enclosure has an aquatic heater as the heat source as I was told that if the water is heated to 24-26 degrees that would make the enclosures humid and warm enough for them to be healthy and happy

first of all im not a vet so i dont know about the white dots you are seeing on your frog. How ever alot of GTF have white dots mine do. Sounds like you should go get your self a thermometer. Should set you back about $20 at a pet shop. 24-26 degrees is a good temp to keep them at and your aquatic heater should work fine as long as it is set in the water as they can get very hot and i have seen other peoples frogs burnt from them. If you are worryed about them getting to hot and this will probly be a problem in the summer time you can get your self a thermistat. I use them on all my tanks and this will set you back about $100. Ow and as for the general coulor of your frogs my GTF change there coulors every day. Bright green, dark green, brown or even blue.

Sounds like your just over-stressing ;)
Like Kareeves said, alot of GTFs naturally have white dots. Do you know if the dots where on him when you got him?
Green tree frogs change colour alot too, so don't worry about that. They do sometimes get darker when they are stressed but usually its to do with their surroundings :)
Listen to Kareeves about the water heater/thermometer and you'll be right :)

being tree frogs i was told they just need a heated tile and water bowl for easy cleaning,...

i have a big tile with heat cord running under it, his water bowl sits on that so he has a warm wet area and a warm dry area,..., he squeezes into a small 'cave' beside his heated tile which is also a bit warmer than room temp.

he makes a hell of a mess of his bowl, so rinsing it and refilling it with boiled cooled water seemed like the easiest most hygenic option.

more often than not hes on the tile part of the heat, not in the water. it sits at about 30C.

He also has white dots and changes colour. :p

i think i was stressing, i should of learned my lesson with my BHP, i tend to stress and want the very best for my animals.
i cant help it haha.
should it be 24-26 in the water or the temp of the air?

ok my 4 green tree frogs do well with the following setup , water temp 24c . i use no other type of heating in there enclosure . they have a day light - then once its dark that go`s off and the blue leds come on for moonlight . my 4 have been fine with this way for atleast 2 years . my new tank will be along these lines [ just bigger - as its 4ft long]

Save some stress and have the set up complete before buying your new animals :D

i have a four footer, it was suppost to be setup and everything when i went to pick it up but typical petshops...
they said thursday, then wednesday then after some push and shove finally late on saturday i was in the game.
i have my water temp set at 25 and they seem happy..
its very humid, judging by the wet windows haha.
gees guys, in a few weeks ill have my new yellow BHP's, then a few more months down the track some Green Tree Pythons then im set.
the plans starting to come together slowly...

This is my setup, guys, just a little worried. I went to get my BHP out just then and he was pretty quick to come suss me out.. He's never been so quick to come and eye me off, I wonder if its because the frog enclosures on top of his and he knows they're there. Last thing I want him to do is get food in his head and bite me.

Last edited:
the bhp will suss them out , when i had my frogs in the reptile room my bhp used to make his way over to the frogs everytime i let him out . he never went into food mode [ i was never silly enough to let him out when he was hungry]

yeah, i was feeding him fortnightly but im gonna feed him every three weeks now, i think ill just give him 3 or 4 medium rats every three weeks.
hopefully he wont bite me thinking im one of the frogs, i havnt been tagged yet and its still getting the better of me...

View attachment 250003View attachment 250002

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back