PLEASE HELP! lizard's eyes are 'bulging'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kukri-dragon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I had the heat light on for my water dragon the other day and was in another room and when i walked out, i could see his eyes dangerously large. They looked like they where going to pop or fall out of his head. About twice to 2 & 1/2 times the normal size!!!! :shock: I have seen his eyes do this b4 when he is in my hand relaxing, he closes his eyes and then i look over at him and see they are gently pulsing, getting very large for his small head. This has, although only happened about 3-4 times. when i saw him on the rock with his huge eyes i immediatly ran over a tapped the glass to 'wake him up' and i always wake him up when he does it in my hands. Any reasons why this is happening!?

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but I've read up on this regarding Bearded Dragons. It's something to do with if there is a bit of shed skin that won't come off around their eyes they do this to loosen the skin. I think they do it sometimes before and after a shed. I've read a few different things on it, there is an article I read not too long ago (regarding beardies) that might put your mind at ease (because it mentions other lizards do this as well).

Zac.

mighty_moose
ok thanx actually he finished his shed about 2-3 weeks ago and did the weird eye thing b4 his shed so hope thats the case

Hi,
Now i'm no expert, however I've been told its normal for dragons to do this. My water dragons and my beardys do it every now and then. I've been told they are just doing it to try shed the scales on their eyelids, or just discard the dead skin. however the pulsing seems a bit odd... you might want to keep an eye on that.
If some one has more knowledge on this, i am very keen to hear it.
Best of luck.
-Nathan.

...Noooo mighty_moose beat me too it!

Hi,
Now i'm no expert, however I've been told its normal for dragons to do this. My water dragons and my beardys do it every now and then. I've been told they are just doing it to try shed the scales on their eyelids, or just discard the dead skin. however the pulsing seems a bit odd... you might want to keep an eye on that.
If some one has more knowledge on this, i am very keen to hear it.
Best of luck.
-Nathan.

ok cool, am i supposed to let him do it though? thanks

Article sent via pm
And yeah let him go about his business as usual, but if it last for an extended period of time (the actual bulging) it could be indicative of other health problems that might need to be addressed (high blood pressure) and if that's the case you might want to take him to a vet. But other than that sounds pretty normal.
Zac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back