Is this a pure coastal Jag??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the replies; sorry to cause any arguments I know this is still a touchy subject. As red said, just wanted to know any special care requirements it needs, but advice and info from BOTH sides of the fence are always interesting to read. And I respect everyone`s opinions, I am not very clued up when it comes to morphs, jags, and selective breeding, and do not consider myself to be in a position to comment; other than its a beautiful, healthy hatchy who is eating and shedding fine!! Thanks again all. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies; sorry to cause any arguments I know this is still a touchy subject. As red said, just wanted to know any special care requirements it needs, but advice and info from BOTH sides of the fence are always interesting to read. And I respect everyone`s opinions, I am not very clued up when it comes to morphs, jags, and selective breeding, and do not consider myself to be in a position to comment; other than its a beautiful, healthy hatchy who is eating and shedding fine!! Thanks again all. :)

As i said treat just like a coastal & you & snake will be fine.

Cheers

oops missed the part where op mentioned neuro probs,if its only minor and its getting around ok,then it should be fine,just watch to see if it gets worse i guess,if its clumsy,just use low perches so it cant fall and injure itself

not knowing alot about jags what are the percentages per clutch that can develop neuro probs

I have seen identical jags one coastal one jungle their adult size was the only differentiating factor one was 9' one was 5' .

and dont be bothered by the debates either mate,fact is they are here and here to stay,theres pros and cons either way,i dont see the point in arguing about it,each to there own,end of the day its up to each individual and theres never pleasing everyone,lol

I have seen identical jags one coastal one jungle their adult size was the only differentiating factor one was 9' one was 5' .

not all jungles are 5 foot just as not all coastals are 9 foot and theres that many different looking ones that looks and size cant be used to say what exactly they are,also once u mix species,eg jungles and coastals,sizes go anywhere as well as coloring,which muddies it all up again

hence he has a carpet jag at best

Last edited:
There will be no way of knowing if it's "pure" coastal or not as stated.The Jag gene affects nuro nothing to do with it being pure coastal Jag or not.
I have had a Mega Nuro Jag from a few weeks of age and she seems to be less "twitcy" now,just treat it the same as any other carpet and it should be fine, the nuro probs tend to show when the snake is stressed.

oops missed the part where op mentioned neuro probs,if its only minor and its getting around ok,then it should be fine,just watch to see if it gets worse i guess,if its clumsy,just use low perches so it cant fall and injure itself

not knowing alot about jags what are the percentages per clutch that can develop neuro probs

When i first got my Jags i was told that only about 10% seem to develope neuro issues & of these most are only minor cases.
I have not bred them, but have talked to those that have & this ratio seems to be high as many do not show neuro problems at all.
But it then again depends on what some might call a neuro problem, it can vary from a twitch to spasmotic head & body movements. All that i have seen show very little to no neuro.

It is amazing how time & education can change some peoples perception.

Cheers
Ian

thanks ian,thats what i gathered,can vary,but not a dominant occurance

i think some folk are mature enough and sit on the fence,what ever way they think,its not really worth the heated debate,dont like it dont do it,do like it,than do it,plenty of room for both in the hobby,and obviously theres a market for both

end of the day is it worth getting your knickers in a twist over,its not going to change anything

Have you posted pics of that snake on here before?

I have seen it posted here, if it wasn't you maybe your mate posted it.
Maybe if you find that thread there will be more info re it's background?

Have you posted pics of that snake on here before?

I have seen it posted here, if it wasn't you maybe your mate posted it.
Maybe if you find that thread there will be more info re it's background?

Yes I have Darlyn; a couple of times, first when I thought I was only minding him for 6 mnths while my mate worked overseas. Good friend cares for his snakes BUT not good on keeping info on them; dont know how he goes at log book time lol...

I would be very hesitant to call any "Jaguar" pure. Unless the original smugglers want to start handing out certificates with included lineage...
It's a nice Jag, but I would leave it at that.

i wouldn't be qualified to answer this perhaps this forum isn't the place to ask such questions either as experience/history shows this forum and jags don t mix well
perhaps you can pm someone about other places or forums less against jags.

Nato

I would be very hesitant to call any "Jaguar" pure. Unless the original smugglers want to start handing out certificates with included lineage...
It's a nice Jag, but I would leave it at that.

Well said, no one could be certain of the purity of any Jags in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back