Heating for a Woma hatchie in a click clack....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just done a search and spent a while reading up on click clacks and the like. It appears for a Woma hatchie the way to go would be a 7 litre Sistema or Starmaid tub.

With regards to heating I found that a heat cord or heat mat was the logical way of heating same.

So far as the 7 litre tub is concerned I was unable to find a designated wattage for use with this tub, supposing I would be heating 1/3 of it and doing everything else as per the norm.

I have read and seen varying wattage heat mats i.e. 5, 7, 10, 20, 40 etc. Just wanted to get confirmation on what would be suitable for heating a tub of that size and using a thermostat and thermometer and/or temp gun.

Again there have been a few different brands bandied about and reptapets seem to have a pretty good mat. Others???? And do these have a built in thermostat or?????

Many thanks.

Ash.

For my 5 month old Woma I use a 10 litre Decor food storage container with a 7 watt heat matt,this is the same setup I have used for all my young pythons.Never had any problems and keeps the tub around 34 C.

I use a 14W heatmat under my 30L tub, its just a cheap ebay job, run on a separate thermostat, seems to do the job

If you purchase yourself a mat around 28cm square or there abouts, this mat will be able to be used for the life of the woma, even in a full size enclosure.
The lower the wattage means the less current drawn and more economical to run, the heat generated is the same though.

The bigger wattage just means the matt is larger. I don't run any thermostats for my womas.

Personally a 7L tub is way to small and you will need to buy a bigger one soon. Also. If your buying a hatchie now that fits in a 7L tub it has to be way underfed as most my hatchies are about 500mm long now and eating weaned rats.

id go a 30lt starmaid tub [ as this will do the woma for a fair while ] id get a 12 watt reptapet heat matt [ this matt is 28cm x 28cm ] - as they have inbuilt thermostats . then later on u can still use the heat matt in its full size enclosure [ just put a tile ontop of the heat matt .

the above setup is what i use for my womas .

Soz, just a final point I wanted to raise in relation to heating a click clack/tub etc......does the heat mat always stay on or are there any particular on/off cycles or times etc.??????

Thanks again.

Last edited:
In a captive environment, If you allow a hot spot to stay hot................and a cool end escape for retreat for any reptile to escape and thermoregulate it's own core body temp (or preferred operating temperature)................you are well on your way to providing a stress free captive environment.........(provided the observations and husbandry are consistent and regular).

Gee there is some forward thinking out there.......two heat zones (33 and 24) in a 7 litre tub and a snake that grows like a weed (when fed properly)....I GOTTA SEE THAT.....solar 17

Reptapet 20w Matt with a 18L slimline sisteima tub will last you quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back