heatlamp or heatmatt or both

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intoxicated88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys im looking into getting a spotted python and ive just recently built this snake enclosure and im not sure wether to put in a heatlamp or a heat matt or even both. IMG_20120423_123034.jpg

Use a heatpad and thermostat for heating and a basking light with timer for basking :)

Heatmats and cords are only 15-30w.... far cheaper to run than heatglobes/emitters ;)

Last edited:
Use a heatpad and thermostat for heating and a basking light with timer for basking :)

Heatmats and cords are only 15-30w.... far cheaper to run than heatglobes/emitters ;)
captain i was expecting to see your electric blanket theory :):);):lol:

I'd use a heat light or two (low wattage) to heat one side with a few branches going up there. Shouldn't really need more then that unless your house gets very, very cold.

captain i was expecting to see your electric blanket theory :):);):lol:

I do volunteering at the Armadale reptile centre and they actually use an electric blanket in the boa constrictors inclosure to give him extra warmth when it's cold. Quite cute to see him underneath it with his head popping out :lol:

i was looking at a zoo med double fixture dome for a day and night lamp and just a small heat matt might go with that :)
wouldnt that turn out too expensive aswell ? by the time u got thermostats and brought all of the above ...

if u want to go cheap then get a reptapet heat matt [ they have the thermostat built in] buy a large tile and make a heat pad .

ill stick with a small heat matt for the time being and then if its not happy ill stick in a heat lamp :) plus i live on the gold coast it gets hot up here :p

and what type of wattage do you reckon would suit it?

Last edited:
ill stick with a small heat matt for the time being and then if its not happy ill stick in a heat lamp :) plus i live on the gold coast it gets hot up here :p

and what type of wattage do you reckon would suit it?

Just a small 20w or medium 30w.... depends what size your enclosure is? The heatpad shouldnt cover more than 1/3rd of the floor of the enclosure at the warm end. :)

The cheapest and most effective heating is to use a heat cord under a ceramic or slate tile with a small fluorescent light for daytime vision. The snake will spend what ever amount of time it requires warming up on the tile and then wander off to do what snakes do. Most pythons seem to prefer absorbing heat from a warm surface rather than basking under a heat lamp. Where you are, a 15 W cord should be ample. Have a read of this recent thread: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/new-heat-matt-set-185580/

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back