Striking at the glass.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahh

Reaction score
G'day.
I have a female, 2 and half year old Olive python, who recently began Striking at the glass doors of her enclosure.
Of all my pythons, she is the one I trust the most for visitors to hold due to her relaxed nature.
The striking only happens when you walk or move infront of her enclosure.
Placing your hand inside the enclosure and on to her causes her to immediately relax.
She showed the same behaviour a few months ago, but it only lasted a few weeks.
This is a defensive, not food responsive strike.
Any ideas as to why or how to stop it, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

This may be a silly question.... But have you moved her enclosure or made any changes around it's general location?
If so I would do like JrFear suggested and cover her for awhile.... another thought, might she need a new hide bigger? more private? perhaps more to choose from?

Well, strangely enough, i did factor that as a possibility.
When I moved her original enclosure.
That was about the time she exhibited this defensive behavior.
This time atound, I have actually upsized her enclosure.
And she has received a new hide box to accommodate her increasing size.
Woul covering the glass up not just prolong her behaviour?
Being that once I uncover the enclosure, she would then just be bal to square one because seeing outside would then be new to her, all over again?

Cover half of the glass as that may make her feel more secure. We do that with our click clacks and it seems to help a lot.

Thank you all very much.
I've kept many snakes before.
But, she can't seem to kick this insecurity.

pictures of tank set up would help

I agree with Arkasha, cover half. Perhaps her new hide box is a little too big for her? it might be not giving her the security she needs? just a thought :) Other than that she may just need more time to calm back down and not be so defensive(gosh they are a worry arent they :) )

Snakes like to feel very secure as in nature a lot of things are there enemy & by changing enclosure or set up can put them outside of thier comfort zone.
This can cause stress in the snake & imo should be dealt with quickly. The covering of the enclosure is a great idea considering you have just changed some things around. Leave the snake alone for a few days to a week to settle in. My first thoughts were food response due to movement, but i think that you nailed it due to the changes. If this does not work try feeding more or larger size food.

Cheers
Ian

Well, the hide box she is using is big enough for her to get in and out of but not enough that curled up, she can't touch the sides.
So, to a degree, she has no real room once in it.
I have covered up the enclosure now with a towel, and she was indeed due for a feed.
She took two large rats (have no small rabbits available at the moment)
And apart from checking her after feeding her.
Have not bothered her since.
Like mentioned, I personally don't believe this is a response to feeding as she is assuming a defensive posture and, as strange as it sounds.
I know my snake :p
But your advice is greatly appreciated, and is being put to use.
I shall get a decent photo, as soon as possible.

Well, the hide box she is using is big enough for her to get in and out of but not enough that curled up, she can't touch the sides.
So, to a degree, she has no real room once in it.
I have covered up the enclosure now with a towel, and she was indeed due for a feed.
She took two large rats (have no small rabbits available at the moment)
And apart from checking her after feeding her.
Have not bothered her since.
Like mentioned, I personally don't believe this is a response to feeding as she is assuming a defensive posture and, as strange as it sounds.
I know my snake :p
But your advice is greatly appreciated, and is being put to use.
I shall get a decent photo, as soon as possible.
Let us know how she goes, It doesnt sound strange at all that you know your snake :)
I think it is so important to get to know all their quirks and behavior :) it is part of being a responsible
custodian :)

just cover 1 half with a towel or sheet, some pythons can be cage defensive 1 my olives do this, will at times strike at glass for no reason but open the glass and she will quite easy to pull out of cage some however will be just pricks and take blood off u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back