A few days up the Finnis River

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We used a walkout net off the beach and got a bit of everything:). I have a feeling they may be slightly illegal now, though?

yeah mate Illegal down this way not sure about up north though. It's also illegal to use a throw net to collect live bait down here also.

it's a different fish from ours but a close relative. Barra and Threadies can cut allsorts with their gill rakers. The big jewies up here will always go for a structure to wrap the line around. ( even My mate uses a marlin rod with 80kg braid. IT just slices through the anchor line but a big jewie is worth a sand anchor any day- you can always buy another anchor

with a 3 way swivel
I always thought they were the same species but different name. I know there known as black jewfish up that way but thought it was the same species.

View attachment 250211

Here's mine I caught on a lure on a barra line.
In 3 feet of water.

Nice one.

Aren't Golden Grunter/ Silver Grunter a Jewfish also? Please excuse my ignorance, fisho's.

Aren't Golden Grunter/ Silver Grunter a Jewfish also? Please excuse my ignorance, fisho's.

I think up north they have different common names for species to down this way.I've always known the silver grunter to be a silver perch and the golden grunter to be either a sooty grunter or fresh water black bream, same species different common names..

I think up north they have different common names for species to down this way.I've always known the silver grunter to be a silver perch and the golden grunter to be either a sooty grunter or fresh water black bream, same species different common names..

Nah these are all saltwater fish, silver/golden grunter are what we call ock ocks or javelin fish. They, jewies and mulloway are all part of the same family (the croakers) but in different species and genus.

Here's a little wiki goodness on the big family Sciaenidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ps. all of them are delicious. The best i've ever eaten is what we call a croaker jew or more normally just croaker. I'll see if i can find a pic, weird looking fish.

Last edited:
Nah these are all saltwater fish, silver/golden grunter are what we call ock ocks or javelin fish. They, jewies and mulloway are all part of the same family (the croakers) but in different species and genus.

aahh I see now. Down this way a jewie is just a common name for a mulloway.. So a black jewfish is different to the jewfish we get down here interesting.Thanks for that.

319_36330114344_661074344_642879_3131_n.jpg

Looks like a black jewie only a little retarded. They all have those big boney knobs on their dorsal fins and a weird mouth.

Nice link, Gordo, thanks:)!

The golden version has exactly the same morphology as the one your holding. I wonder if they're not the same Sp, just younger/older or male/female?

319_36330114344_661074344_642879_3131_n.jpg

Looks like a black jewie only a little retarded. They all have those big boney knobs on their dorsal fins and a weird mouth.

yeah I see what ya mean now. So what species would you blokes up that way call that a jewie? that looks nothing like the jewies we get down this way in the surf and estuaries.

mulloway.jpg

In the Kimberley, the one gordo's holding is locally know as a golden/Silver grunter and the one in your pic, Ven, a Jewie.

Just going wildly off topic now, this is a brilliant website/guide on all the diff fish species in the world. A little difficult to use if you don't know scientific names but easily the best i've come across albeit a little slow to use. Just for fun here's all the different croakers Fish Identification=

and here's a big girl i caught at Cahills crossing last week.

545186_10150831844949345_661074344_9373852_2068239539_n.jpg

That pic isn't a jewie, that's a croaker 'jew' or sometimes called a jewel fish, Nibea squamosa. What we call a black jew is Protonibea diacanthus, look very similar to silver jew/mulloway just a little more stout and don't grow quite as big.

yeah I see what ya mean now. So what species would you blokes up that way call that a jewie? that looks nothing like the jewies we get down this way in the surf and estuaries.

View attachment 250330

Last edited:
Ok so the jewies we get down this way are a different species, thanks for that. That's a beast. Damn Sydney and it over fished waters. Cheers for the link.

Meanwhile back at the Finnis......

DSC_0481.jpg

Note I am not holding this one out in front of me to make it look bigger! :D

That's because my arms were aching and it was too frigging heavy.

It's fed us and the neighbours all week!

DSC_0488.jpg

Not to mention a cloud of sea eagles, brahminy kites and whistling kites that decended as we left the camp!

Last edited:
Meanwhile back at the Finnis......

Note I am not holding this one out in front of me to make it look bigger! :D

That's because my arms were aching and it was too frigging heavy.

It's fed us and the neighbours all week!

Hahahahah

Awww c'mon Steve! Don't you know i have massive hands?!?! Lol, she was still a big fish. Went 94cm, 2nd best to date.

haha well if there's a bit of a photo comp goin on this is my PB jew caught on a squid ring in my local estuaries, unfortunately couldn't be released because it was gut hooked and bleeding quite heavily. No fishy photo tricks here :lol:

2011 PB jew.jpg

Nice fish Ven. I dont know about those jewies down there but the jewies up here taste better the bigger they get. Them and threadfin salmon. Any barra over 80cm I put back. They are the breeders and they taste like crap over that size.

Any barra over 80cm I put back. They are the breeders and they taste like crap over that size.

Funny you should say that. Over 85 i always send them back on their way. Except this one... My boss, who's a local woman, saw me hook it and expertly told me how to get it in lol. Once i landed her and got a few pictures i was just about to throw her back when my boss shouted at me that i should keep it. I responded that it was too much fish for me to eat, she came back with an expert response 'You should share it!' Then i responded that it was a female and they are the breeders and make all the babies etc, she came back with the most brilliant response... 'So? Those males they gotta breed too!' LOL very intelligent woman!

Then she threatened to fire me if i didn't keep it lol, so i necked the old girl and fed about a dozen people. Even the guts got eaten out of her. Apparently the swim bladder is the best bit.

last day trip to the finnis with the old man and friends, will be back up there in a few weeks. Jews were from the first rockbar from the mouth.......

Majic place Steve, I have never got that far up river, always launched at Dundee and fished the lower reachs. Next time will have to get a bit further up river......cheers for sharing

Attachments

• P5080726.jpg
    P5080726.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 95
We used a walkout net off the beach and got a bit of everything:). I have a feeling they may be slightly illegal now, though?

they're still legal here IV but I prefer to hold the beach end and let others do the wading :)

DSC_0444.jpg

I'm going out bush. Bye y'all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back