When on holiday??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydee

Reaction score
Right, I keep snakes and snakes fit perfectly well into my life. The reason being is that they don't need a high level of commitment. My bredli gets feed once a week and my coastal cross once a fortnight.

This makes things very easy for me when I decide to take a trip somewhere. I usually can find someone to change their water for me and check nothing has gone wrong with the heating. Two weeks away is easy and at a push, although not ideal, a month can also be done.

Obviously I don't go away for a month very often, two weeks being the norm. The thing is, I would really like a trio of ackies (Varanus acanthurus) but they need fed every day to every other day, and I'm pretty sure I would struggle to find someone willing to come round and feed them bugs as often as that.

I'm thinking though, surely other people keep lizards and still take trips away. If so, what do you do with your captives??

Very good question, I too would like to know some solutions. I've heard you could ask your local pet shop to look after them for a small fee if they are willing to?

I wouldn't trust my local pet store with any thing let alone my reptiles.

my pet store feeds their pink tongues only mealworms and some of them has been in there so long they have turned to beatle, there is no humidity in the enclosures and they have their toes bitten apart by the worms that are crawling around in there substrate, along with that the cages are dirty,
For the snakes their old skins have been left there to rot, and there is crap all through the cage.
One of their bearded dragons looked as if it was about to die when I was last in there and their cages were dirty too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not liking the idea of giving them to a pet shop. I've only come across one in my time that I thought was any good, but it's miles away from me.

mabye you could ask the breeder if they can look after them wen you go away (probably cost you a bit of money and they made need toborrow your enclosure incase they don't have a spare) otherwise I don't know.

mabye you could ask the breeder if they can look after them wen you go away (probably cost you a bit of money and they made need toborrow your enclosure incase they don't have a spare) otherwise I don't know.

That's actually not a bad idea.

I "advertise" my beardie on Facebook recently (I only accept people that I know in real life as friends so no strangers on my friends list) for when I'm away for 6 weeks in June & July. My sales pitch was, "if you're considering getting a beardie as pets why not try to take care of one for 6 weeks first". I got heaps of offer but he is going to my mothers group friend whom I trust. She has no reptiles at all so I don't have to worry about quarantine and such and I'll move the whole set up to her place instead of asking her to come everyday.

They can survive for a few days (at least) without a feed, but I usually travel during my monitors brumation. Gives you a good 120 days!

I "advertise" my beardie on Facebook recently (I only accept people that I know in real life as friends so no strangers on my friends list) for when I'm away for 6 weeks in June & July. My sales pitch was, "if you're considering getting a beardie as pets why not try to take care of one for 6 weeks first". I got heaps of offer but he is going to my mothers group friend whom I trust. She has no reptiles at all so I don't have to worry about quarantine and such and I'll move the whole set up to her place instead of asking her to come everyday.

Does she have a license though? Also, don't you need to keep your reptiles on your specified property unless you record the transaction as a gift (and have them "gift" back your reptiles upon your return)?

Does she have a license though? Also, don't you need to keep your reptiles on your specified property unless you record the transaction as a gift (and have them "gift" back your reptiles upon your return)?

She does have a license because she is about to get a beardie too but you brought up a good point about the transfer! To be honest I kind of did not think that far, I thought because she's licensed it should be fine but I'll call the licensing office tomorrow to find out. Thanks!

Very good question, I too would like to know some solutions. I've heard you could ask your local pet shop to look after them for a small fee if they are willing to?

A pet shop?:shock:

Not the ones around here..... they cant even look after thier own...... Dont you have any friends?;)

Try a boarding kennel? anything but a pet shop :shock::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back