Show us your crappy, drab, scarred, faded, missing-limbed, rehabilitated, old herps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about a "rodent soup"?! I've seen it used successfully for a Tiger Quoll with a broken mandible. An old blender, flexible plastic tube of a good calibre and large syringe to pump the soup through the tube.

I guess in Lacey's case, just fill the mouth and let her swallow.

Although he's physically deformed he's still a very appealing monitor. I'd be happy with him in my collection. Good to see he's gone to an appreciative owner.

Biggest lie I have ever read :lol: . Not the appreciative owner part, they have done an admirable job taking it in (admittedly I would have taken the easy path and euthanised it)

I've got a lovely BHP girl who has burn marks/scars all down her back and chunks of muscle missing that have mostly healed over - the missing bits looks like she was eaten by something not reptile-ish.

Sorry, I have been looking everywhere for a pic of my ex wife (she fits that description perfectly) :lol:

More Misfits :D

What about more of just the OLDIES... no deformity or scarring needed, just the ones that were hot as yearlings, but just not so much at 8 years old...

Happens to the best of us... Are the hollywood reptiles getting implants? Collagen? So much pressure....

Yes, they do get implants :shock: mine all get implanted with a rat or two regularly :lol:

rspcrazy,how would it go eating small mice by itself,maybe smaller would be more managable?

She can only just get a pinkie mouse down on her own, but I'm sticking with force feeding larger rats over lots of pinkie mice, because it will cost a bombshell to feed her enough pinkie mice to equal the same as 1 rat every feed. Plus she needs lots of calcium an vitamin D3, and you will find more of that in the more developed rodents, rather than pinkies.

She's doing pretty good now. She hasn't grown much (the vet told me she will stay small for the rest of her life, because of the MBD), but she still has the lacie appetite and if she doesn't get fed, then she chases me.

Feeding is getting very difficult, because she has to be force fed, her jaw has become very strong and she resists when I try and push a rat past the bend in her jaw. Normally the rat ends up shredded and falling apart by the time I get it in there, there must be an easier way of feeding her, I just don't know what it is.

Try getting a syringe that the body of the syringe will fit in her mouth past the damaged jaw. Cut the entire end off the syringe (where it tapers down to the needle nipple) so essentially you could push the plunger thru and out of the open end of the syringe. Tidy the cut end of the syringe body so it wont catch on the inside of her mouth, or stretch a little piece of rubber hose over the end to protect mouth/throat. Wet a fuzzy and suck it into the syringe, or suck up veg/worm or 'soup' like IV said, open her mouth and slide the open body of the syringe into her mouth past the damage close to her throat and slowly push the syringe plunger to leave the mouse/veg/worm in the back of her mouth, behind the damaged area :D

Good luck, and great work caring for her ;)

Try getting a syringe that the body of the syringe will fit in her mouth past the damaged jaw. Cut the entire end off the syringe (where it tapers down to the needle nipple) so essentially you could push the plunger thru and out of the open end of the syringe. Tidy the cut end of the syringe body so it wont catch on the inside of her mouth, or stretch a little piece of rubber hose over the end to protect mouth/throat. Wet a fuzzy and suck it into the syringe, or suck up veg/worm or 'soup' like IV said, open her mouth and slide the open body of the syringe into her mouth past the damage close to her throat and slowly push the syringe plunger to leave the mouse/veg/worm in the back of her mouth, behind the damaged area :D

Good luck, and great work caring for her ;)

That's not a bad idea, I think I'll give that a go. Thanks

The only hard part I can think of with this method, is trying to get her mouth open enough to get the syringe in there. She really fights me when I'm trying to open her mouth.

Try getting a 5cc (about the diameter of a ball point pen) syringe to start with and see if you can suck up a fuzzy mouse with that, you will be suprised what will suck into a syringe body:shock: otherwise you would have to do like IV said and make soup out of it. I am sure a 5cc would fit in there once you have a bit of practice. Just make sure the bit you cut off the syringe is smooth or protected with rubber hose (that wont come off in her mouth) so it doesnt catch on the inside of her gob :lol:
Let us know how you get on ;)

Try getting a 5cc (about the diameter of a ball point pen) syringe to start with and see if you can suck up a fuzzy mouse with that, you will be suprised what will suck into a syringe body:shock: otherwise you would have to do like IV said and make soup out of it. I am sure a 5cc would fit in there once you have a bit of practice. Just make sure the bit you cut off the syringe is smooth or protected with rubber hose (that wont come off in her mouth) so it doesnt catch on the inside of her gob :lol:
Let us know how you get on ;)

Alright, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like the go, guys. Just be careful not to give her a lungful! That's the only reason why I suggested into the mouth and allow her to swallow. Hate to undo all the good work, RSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back