Culling - Or second chance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry what i read from that is that you are saying "keeping alive an unattractive animal is different to keeping alive an animal without maximised life quality.
Let me just say from what i think there I'm not that attractive but my quality of life is fine?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but it reads to me that if its unattractive it wouldn't have a maximimum life quality ?

Not what I'm saying at all.

What I said was that keeping alive animals that aren't deemed attractive or have a superficial defect (a defect that doesn't effect it's functioning) is different (and hence okay), to keeping alive an animal with impaired functioning causing it stress or the constant need for interference/intervention. Keeping alive animals with severe impairments causing it to not function properly is not a second chance, it's forced suffering.

I say this with the assumption that you're asking for animals with issues worse than a kinked tail, or missing foot, as those problems are generally superficial. But you mentioned neurological issues in another thread, that's a whole new ball game.

Last edited:
I feel it is a great thing to do, take in unwanted Pythons/reptiles..... I do think that there would need to be certain guidelines put in place eg, the non breeding thing and non giving away/selling part. It is a big leap of faith and trust from a breeder to do this :) and I imagine a lot would've been burned/let down previously. I dont believe animals/reptiles should be kept alive if they are in pain etc, however I dont think they should be culled just over a colour or marking disappointment. Bellany, I think your great for wanting to do this I think it would just take a little time for word of mouth to get around that you can be trusted :D

why cant they breed from them?the person they originate from are breeding them,there from the same line as the keepers the breeders hang on to,plus the original parents that produced them,is it ok for them to breed it,but disgraceful for anyone else to

is culling to prevent others possably producing what they have created with out forking over the dosh

why cant they breed from them?the person they originate from are breeding them,there from the same line as the keepers the breeders hang on to,plus the original parents that produced them,is it ok for them to breed it,but disgraceful for anyone else to

is culling to prevent others possably producing what they have created with out forking over the dosh
Sorry, I should've been more specific.... I meant if there was a particular reason that the breeder(for whatever reason) didnt want the unwanted snakes bred from. What I am getting at is if the snakes are given for free to some-one then they should respect the giver's wishes :)

There is Assumption college in Kilmore, Victoria.

Just for the record I have a tiger, willing to take on any unwanted hatchies.
malealbandtigerjungle011.jpg
Monitors are also great garbage disposal units.
btw how big is the tiger, looks massive or just the photo?

argh! The cannibal snake is one of my recurring nightmares LOL...

Ok, I have a nightmare that somehow my pythons (none of them are even a sp. known for canniballism) are somehow all in the same enclosure, or have all esaped at once (read carefully ppl, it's a DREAM) and I wake to find the last of my snakes swallowing the second last....

I now only keep ONE snake, but I still have this nightmare... really disturbing...

Sorry folks, not much relevance there, but that particular pic is so close to my dream hahah. just replace tiger with my evil dream python...

That tiger DOES look huge LOL :)

PS - I'm currently quitting smoking, I reserve the right to ramble inanely, and snap irrationally at everything! *crazy eyes*

JP2 I reckon that's one of the absolute best uses of them. I'm actually pretty surprised you didn't get a bigger response from people when you first posted it ages ago. When used for something like that they become no different to rats (except maybe a bit more expensive to produce). How well do snakes go being F/T?

Haha JP! This is OT but I had a mate (yeh, you know who you are!) come round on his way back from the airport "Have a look at these 20 baby... crap, make that 19 baby copperheads..." Ahh the circle of life!

There is Assumption college in Kilmore, Victoria.

Just for the record I have a tiger, willing to take on any unwanted hatchies.
malealbandtigerjungle011.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but I can't keep up with all this internet lingo, what is F/T and OT?

Thanks richardsc, and to saximus, I presume they would do just fine frozen and thawed, but these were still warm.

Waste not want not.

I see no issues in feeding culls to other reptile eaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back