some people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove 80km out of town to pick up a new bredli last week (80km is a long way in SA).

Stopped by a friends place seeing we were in neighbourhood. I heard they killed a brown on their driveway some months before and naturally having brought mine, they were “kind” enough to show me “their” snake (even though I did not ask to see it, nor knew they had kept it).

Brought out a jar a quarter full of metho, that had what looked more like a worm than a snake with an unrecognisably squashed head inside. They know I keep a red belly. Yet they still seemed surprised when I defended the worm in the jar and rationalised why they should have just left it alone. I even offered to drive up there should it happen again and deal with it (by then I should have the permit to do so).

By getting in your car you have helped a snake get away with what seems like only a few bruises rather than loosing its life had you not responded. Well done.

The wildlife groups will help you – or rather the snake, for free as they are all volunteers. My wife and I are members of Fauna Rescue SA. Also our vet will provide consultations for native fauna for free, and provide medication for a significantly reduced price. I believe there are a few vets that do this.

I hate the “dead snake” line as well and always reverse it back on those who quote it and/or say that they must love mice and rats then.

Again, well done. So jealous of all you who see snakes regularly in your backyards and surrounding area. I would love to have some resident snakes that I could appreciate in the wild.

Last edited:
okiesssssssssssssssssssssssss morning update snake was little active through the night and i woke up this morning to find him in the hide supplied, i lifted it gently to make sure he was ok, and he gave me a nice little bugger off his, taking the daughter to the train station now will check on him soon

all good so far awesome stuff

be aware, in QLD, legally, you cannot even touch a wild snake, even if injured, you're supposed to call the rspca, ranger or a snake catcher, even though they usually don't give a fart, you *can* be fined for handling or taking them home, so be careful about telling people on forums.
(on a herping trip years ago, up Mt Glorious, a second group in a car for warned by the ranger for picking up a dead snake off the road, and even warned that photographing them could get them into a fine or worse trouble)

I know it's stupid, and I find the law stupid in this regard, but you should be aware of the risk you take.
personally, I'd do the same (and have done) even if I did get fined, to hell with the idiocy, but don't be surprised if they try to make you pay for it.

you need special permits to go near protected species.
and most people won't even consider paying a snake catcher either, they know the law won't touch them for killing a snake (even though it's illegal)

good on you for taking a stand.

Excellent job ray! seems like a better future for the snake now :D

And Daniel 80km?! wow so far haha i only had to drive 10km for my bredli! :lol:

i hear you matey, wel this is my thoughts on it, I have been in upper management for almost 30 years, so no spring chicken, and liability and laws etc are wonderful things, as a fully qualified first aider, would i pass a scen n not help, no, be it an injured person, snake bird whatever, i will step in, if someone were to argue that point i am sure they would have a beautiful converation with me, if i was fined for that, so be it, i would have a wonderful feeling about what i had done, and would sleep very well at night, as for rangers etc, i have found them to be very good so far and i understand their work load is heavy, i have 2 rescued bluetongues here, that were in a disgraceful state when we recieved them, i am trying to attach them to my license and have been in communication with some wonderful people so far, i am not sure if i will be allowed to keep them or they will be taken, thats not the issue the issue is to care for an animal be it human or not to the best of my ability until a better option comes up, now if anyone wants to attempt to fine me, go right ahead :)
ima big boy
in saying that, i am taking my dog to the vets soon and will ask her about the snake, and then from there i cannot wait to release it hopefully to where i found it, (bushland) and or have rangers, rspca whoever pick it up and care for it until release :)

on that note ima get a coffee anyone want one

hahahaha also i must say sorry bout the spelling in my haste to check the snake my ramblings have been somewhat interesting lol

glad he is moving and on the mend. I agree I don't care what anyone says, and ya'll can fine me... I have no money! But I will not leave wildlife on the road or in danger! Heck I move frogs and Preying Mantis :)

I propose we raise a glass for Ray aka "raycam" for his great efforts over the preceding 24 hours in rescuing a defenceless python that was all but doomed.

These kind of stories certainly give me renewed belief in society in that nowadays the media are all over what bad/negative things happen in our day to day lives. You only have to look at current affairs programs for starters.

Give me a story like this anyday.

Cheers.

well final update he was fed today smashed down a rat and has been chillin all day and looks very happy, spoke to the vet this morning and feel comfy in releasing him tonight or early tomorrow morning, im on the bike so im going to take him far into the bush close to where i found him as possible and let him\her go back and hopefully lead a nice chilled life away from the real animals :)

thanks for all the kind words, i didnt do anything out of the ordinary, and im glad to see like minded people on this forum
:)

your a champ mate take some pics of wen you let it go and post them mate good on you

okies beautiful day to let him go this morning, was an awesome thing to do :) here are some quick pics, he ate a nice size rat early yesterday so was happy as a proverbial pig in mud seems to be 100% ty guy's
DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

this area is about 100meters from where i found him but same locale, there is juss acres of bush, its my brithday today and its an awesome day to release him so happy all round thank you guys and girls for your support :) alittle older woman walking her dog was asking what i was doing so i told her the story she loved his colour :)
Ray

Happy Birthday Ray.....best wishes mate.

Great work once again.

**On a side note, as much as we have to do the right thing and release the animal back to nature in some situations it must be hard as it would be hard not to acquire some kind of bond/affinity with the animal in question. Speaking from experience I am involved in the Greyhound Adoption Program which involves fostering greys, bringing them into a home environment for 3 months and handing them back to GAP. That's a toughy. **

I am likening the above situation with Ray almost similar as that animal is totally reliant on, for its immediate future well being.

To place the reptile back into nature, albeit the right thing to do can also be a hard thing to do.

Last edited:
Sick, injured and orphaned (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Job well done Ray, for the future, be aware we do have a DERM rep. who monitors the forum and works very hard at ignoring all the names they get called. Unsure if you have dealt with them before, but the general response of the department to an unlicensed carer is a decent fine and loss of licence, which would mean you'd lose any reptiles in your collection as well.

Obviously any sane person would do exactly the same as you did, but probably best to keep it quiet next time, unless it happens to a 'friend'...I know my 'friends' get called for rescue pretty often...

Sick, injured and orphaned (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

Job well done Ray, for the future, be aware we do have a DERM rep. who monitors the forum and works very hard at ignoring all the names they get called. Unsure if you have dealt with them before, but the general response of the department to an unlicensed carer is a decent fine and loss of licence, which would mean you'd lose any reptiles in your collection as well.

Obviously any sane person would do exactly the same as you did, but probably best to keep it quiet next time, unless it happens to a 'friend'...I know my 'friends' get called for rescue pretty often...

So what, they'd rather you just sit there and let a snake get beaten to death in the time it takes them to do their paperwork and hum and hah about whether it's really worth department funding to go help ANOTHER snake, I mean geez, there's so many of them and they're always in danger, and besides it could just be another prank call like that one time...

Here's a (not so) friendly tip for your little government mouthpiece: Penalising people for doing good things will lead to more and more people ignoring wildlife in danger in the future.

I'd like to thank ray for his selfless assistance to a defenceless creature,I would also do anything possible to help an animal in distress and to hell with petty minded boofocrats who can't see beyond the rule book(life is not black & white but many shades of grey).I do agree that there should be rules to protect our flora & fauna but sometimes the rules hurt those needing our protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back