Free Range Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarWoody

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am considering getting set up and keeping a carpet python for our massive open plan leaving shed on a 200ac bush block, predominantly to assist with managing the local rodent population. Is it possible to acclimatise a python to a territory and expect it to return to its enclosure for feeding, warmth etc or is the most likely outcome that the first time it is released from its enclosure that it will never be seen again?

Thanks for your advice.

Woody

Hmmm, maybe you could tell the local snake catcher that they can release there catches there? If your just after rodent control.

If you have a rodent problem you probably already have a snake or two there... They only eat once or twice a week at the most even when in captivity!

We have occasionally had a python drop in but I haven't seen one for years, When they did drop in the rodents moved out pronto, perhaps even though the python is only eating occasionally it could be the scent or perhaps just its presence hunting I'm not really sure, but as soon as the rodents were gone obviously the snake disappeared as well.

I visited some friends who live in a more rural residential setting and they had 2 pythons that free ranged the house and did not go missing.

I wouldnt be letting it roam free. In the eyes of the law you could be seen as releasing a non nativeto the area), captive bread snake to the wild? Also you would be seen as not keeping your snake as specified by your licence. Might be fine (as in cost money) :shock:

Good luck. Prolly better off encouraging local wild snakes to hang around (lots of hides, sheet iron, tarps) ;)

As far as getting the local snake catcher to drop off snakes here, we already have a healthy population in our surrounding area, I am not sure how this would impact on the local endemic population.

Yes we have the hides these are predominantly populated by red bellies. We commonly also see punctulata, psammophis, annulata,

Last edited:
So if you're a believer the rats will stay away because of the smell of the snake then why not build a wire cage (using aptly named mouse wire). Put in a good floor, a heat source, some decent hides and feed the python once a week. They make great pets and it also sounds like it could solve your problem.

I built a 2 x 2 x 1m outdoor enclosure for my two pythons - I used mouse wire for two sides and corflute for the other two sides and a decent floor covered with marine carpet. Easy enough to construct. But I would never have fed my pythons wild rats - however there's an entire other discussion.

Good luck what ever it is you choose...

PS - Wished we had bandy bandys where I used to live :(

I you just want the scent to scare them off why dont you make an outdoor avery for a diamond or carpet? (Diamond pythons do better out doors) I wouldnt be feeding any of my snakes wild rats cause of all the bugs and what not on them but you could get a rat trap or two, the ones that they can go in but not out and fix them into the bottom of the avery so rats can get in and your snake can not get out

More than likely there would be plenty of local predators attracted to your rodent problem already, so adding one python (who only feeds on a rat or two every fortnight) isn't going to solve your rodent dilemma. You're better off finding the source of the infestation (eg; food ) and dealing with that. Locally, I've had countless Brown Snake "infestations", even right in the middle of Town and once people tidy up all the dropped grain in their chook pens/ bird aviaries and address that problem, the snakes move off. Worth a try, anyway.

Are they native bush rats or ferals?

We occasionally get bush rats but the predominant problem is the native antechinus that are looking for nesting sites particularly at this time of year which we are not suppose to trap although they do seem to be attracted to the peanut butter, honey rolled oats mix. We are pretty good with our food security we have big steel cabinets etc and have large PVC pipes buried near our fruit trees, and worm farms to dispose of kitchen scraps if we don't do this the goannas just cruise into the kitchen and see whats cookin'.

I really like the one way door idea, perhaps if i constructed spring loaded trap doors in the top of the reptile enclosure they would be attracted to a bait a fall through.

I didn't realise there was an issue with wild rodents though.

PS Rats are fuscipes assimilis

Last edited:
Sounds like my dream home:)! I'm assuming the antechinus are only a problem at this time of year, all the males should be dead now (but what a way to go!!).

What about a few large, fresh python sheds draped about the place (as in the skin)? I've found elapid sheds keep my Lace monitors away from the precious computer for weeks.

There is no problem with wild rodents (imo) but you'll get a class of keeper that disagrees.... But unfortunately you're opening a new can of worms with the 'live' feeding...

Unfortunately - wild vs captive is hugely different and feeding wild caught, live rats is as controversial as you'll get on this site... So I guess I'll have to say.... Hmmmmm...

One thing you'll need to look out for with your spring loaded trap is - how many rats will fall in to the 'cage of death' at any one time. Because if you have one python and two rats, all of a sudden the TAB odds aren't as in favour of the python as 1 on 1 (and even then, it's not a guarantee the python will come off best either).

We have tried the plastic snake thing, great for the welcome swallows, works for a while but they soon cotton on. I actually had a python skin recovered from road kill but because I didn't have the right type of oil handy it went black and perished over time.

Hmmmm.....Cage of Death, has a nice ring to it. Wonder if that's a patent?

Last edited:
We have tried the plastic snake thing, great for the welcome swallows, works for a while but they soon cotton on. I actually had a python skin recovered from road kill but because I didn't have the right type of oil handy it went black and perished over time.

Keepers (and there's plenty on here) have skins coming out of their ears!!! They'll happily supply you I am sure :)

getting a snake for that issue is a bandaid remedy,wont fix the prob,probably just lose the snake

all wild/ferals harbour parisites,on top of that what if the rodents have been baited

also adding trap doors to your enclosure,have u seen what live rodents can do to a snake if the snake doesnt eat them,what if a heap go in there as well,probably end up feeding the rodents with the snake

At least in my case, the skins seem particularly potent when they still have some of that oily lubricant inside after a fresh shed, but still work for quiet a few weeks afterward.

I've heard the same, slim6y, that native rodents are unlikely to chew through wiring, etc and cause the damage that ferals do. Perhaps for a few months every year it may be easier to just accept that your in the bush and you have some nature.

On a side note, I'm really against poison baits of any kind. Here's the end result of a local caravan park insisting on the use of rat sack despite my suggestions and repeat warnings; both birds had been resident for 5 years at least, and painful, draw out deaths, also.

Attachments

• Tawnies 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tawnies 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
I used to live in the Northern Grampians (Western Vic) and came across a DSE field officer one morning laying fox baits. I said what about native animals? " Oh, we bury them", but what about Lace monitors digging them up?..."Don't know, guess they'll have to take their chances"! WHAT THE...!!!

Dont introduce a snake to the shed,if the surrounding area is suitable and supports local populations they will find there own way in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back