Dog shot with slug gun

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_LaCN

Reaction score
Six months ago (in November 2011) i took in a golden lab female dog that needed emergency housing. In that time,she has had a booster injected as she hadnt had her shots,she has had kennel flu vaccination. She was then in January de-sexed and micro chipped. I have a small fence,hip height,but it has been enough to keep my Japanese Spitz contained as well as a goat who bonded with the dogs. The lab would always jump the fence and run onto the road where she has nearly been hit by cars so many times i have lost count. My only choice was to have her chained up,which she did not like. She has been a pain and barked more than she should,and finally a neighbour complained and sent the ranger out to my house last week. I have controlled her barking so she has barked less,but it was obviously still upsetting the neighbour who did complain.
So i advertised in a local facebook group that she was free to a good home. A family came out to see her and fell in love,and thus took her home several days ago. Just a few hours ago,i got an inbox from the new owners who knew i had another dog,and a goat,and they have informed me that the lab had a hard bit on her head they thought was tick,so they squeezed it,and a slug pellet popped out of her head!! Now i have had this dog 6mths,if she was shot elsewhere that slug would have popped out by now,which makes me realize that she was shot while in MY CARE! In MY YARD.
I have called the ranger,and the local police who state that nothing can be done unless the person has talked about it to another and they can report it,or if one of my other animals gets shot. I refuse to wait until one of my other pets gets shot,so i am on the hunt for the person that did this,having made a few facebook posts about it in a couple of the local group sites,and my own status.
I am so peeved about this!! I am trying to control myself here due the no swearing policy,but im sure you can fill in all the words i wish to say.
The dog is fine,the bullet didnt penetrate her skull which is good,but all the same it was there. Maybe i should get my other dog seen to at the vets,although he is very fluffy maybe an x-ray would be good,to reveal if he has any slugs in him or not.

Anyways,i want to thank you all for letting me vent about this.

I would be knocking on my neighbours door and fronting them about it. If they can get the ranger out and not talk to you about it who know what they are capable off.

Apparently the person who complained didnt have a clear shot at the dog. There would be two who have a clear shot. I had thought only one did,but just reading your post Coopersimon i have just realised that the guy who is on the other side only a few weeks had his head over the fence one day. Its one of them anyways,and i will find out which just by spreading the word around town. Small town of 1,200-1,300 people. People talk and brag,and nothing is kept quiet here.

You got to remember a pellet gun is still a prohibited weapon. Even possessing one with out a permit is illegal. Telling people the cops are on the lockout for someone shorting animals with illegal firearms is a very good tool to scare the s--t out of people.

You got to remember a pellet gun is still a prohibited weapon. Even possessing one with out a permit is illegal. Telling people the cops are on the lockout for someone shorting animals with illegal firearms is a very good tool to scare the s--t out of people.
air rifles are LEGAL firearms coppersimon get your information right for starters, your post irrelevent and pointless.

air rifles should be registered on a person firemarms license, although lot that arn't registered, unfortunately there is select few who have no disregard for anything but themself.

sacred_DUC maybe you should read the post again.coppersimon does not state that air rifles are illegal.so whinging about makes your post twice as irrelevent and pointless

sacred duc,coppersimon said the exact same as u,they are prohibited weapons if you arent licensed to have them,i didnt see where he whinged either so i think your one up there on that count,lol

he got his facts right in my books,your pretty much dissing your self there,lol

if neighbours are registered owners of firearms,cops would know what they have,if they are not,they would need proof before storming ones house to look

definatly get your other pooch checked,pellets are generally made of lead,so could lead to lead poisoning,you have to wonder about some folk,definatly keep your eye on the neighbours

Six months ago (in November 2011) i took in a golden lab female dog that needed emergency housing. In that time,she has had a booster injected as she hadnt had her shots,she has had kennel flu vaccination. She was then in January de-sexed and micro chipped. I have a small fence,hip height,but it has been enough to keep my Japanese Spitz contained as well as a goat who bonded with the dogs. The lab would always jump the fence and run onto the road where she has nearly been hit by cars so many times i have lost count. My only choice was to have her chained up,which she did not like. She has been a pain and barked more than she should,and finally a neighbour complained and sent the ranger out to my house last week. I have controlled her barking so she has barked less,but it was obviously still upsetting the neighbour who did complain.
So i advertised in a local facebook group that she was free to a good home. A family came out to see her and fell in love,and thus took her home several days ago. Just a few hours ago,i got an inbox from the new owners who knew i had another dog,and a goat,and they have informed me that the lab had a hard bit on her head they thought was tick,so they squeezed it,and a slug pellet popped out of her head!! Now i have had this dog 6mths,if she was shot elsewhere that slug would have popped out by now,which makes me realize that she was shot while in MY CARE! In MY YARD.
I have called the ranger,and the local police who state that nothing can be done unless the person has talked about it to another and they can report it,or if one of my other animals gets shot. I refuse to wait until one of my other pets gets shot,so i am on the hunt for the person that did this,having made a few facebook posts about it in a couple of the local group sites,and my own status.
I am so peeved about this!! I am trying to control myself here due the no swearing policy,but im sure you can fill in all the words i wish to say.
The dog is fine,the bullet didnt penetrate her skull which is good,but all the same it was there. Maybe i should get my other dog seen to at the vets,although he is very fluffy maybe an x-ray would be good,to reveal if he has any slugs in him or not.

Anyways,i want to thank you all for letting me vent about this.

Mate time to get yourself A big! dog and go door knocking or better yet get A real rifle and go Aknocking. Of course they won't admit to it but still good to scarre some sense into them.

IMO you shouldnt go knocking on doors tryin to find someone who is armed. Things can go sour very quick...If they have a gun lisence, there is a very high chance that they are armed with something more than a pellet gun. I would seriously go talk to your police again. Ask for a senior officer and discuss it with him. Suggest the checking of firearms lisence holders in their system in those houses.
Tell him one animal has been shot, you fear your safety and grevious harm and spread the word that the police are on the hunt.
Please dont go knocking on doors looking for someone armed thats one bad idea. And keep the dogs inside or out of direct fire for now. I cant freakin believe someone would fire onto your property. Thats insane. Btw do you mind me asking if you live suburban or rural?

ETA: Forgot to say that you might want to get the poor dog checked. Lead can cause poisoning.

Last edited:
i feel so sorry for the Lab i dont no how People can treat living thing's in very poor and bad ways.

Just another thing that makes me think "how can anyone be so cruel and stupid?"

I feel for you mate. Hope your able to find that idiot.

That is terrible!!! But I know how fustrating dogs barking can be! I work night shift, so am obviously home during the day. I had one neighbour that has three entire amstaffs which used to bark constantly, approached the home owner, he had no idea and rectified the problem. They bark sometimes, but they are playing, so can't complain about that;)
Neighbour two doors up, had dog that barked so much I want to strangle it! I love animals and my job is animals, but to have a dog (Ridgeback cross, so big dog bark) bark for 30mins STRAIGHT at any given time, be it midnight (I do have days off) or 0500 in morning! I had some very dark thoughts towards that animal and thankfully I did not have access to a gun. Please keep in mind, the best day that mutt had was 10hrs of barking, so this is spread over 24hrs, can you imagine dealing with that??? Sleep deprivation can do strange things, this could of happened to your neighbour...I sure as hell would of contemplated firing...I refrained enough to involve the council, I did send an informing letter two weeks prior, so they could of done something before the council was involved.
I now have neighbour next door on other side, who has got themselves a Min Pin, he barks when I get the mail, go to my car, cough in my room, put washing out, grab washing in, etc, so I sent them a little note explaining dog is barking alot - ignored, approached family (Asian) to let them know little butthead barks all the "fn" time, they dont speak english (they did a week ago!!!!!!!) Over it, council informed, waiting on noise complaint form to arrive, so I can fill in and return.
So although I went off on a HUGE ramble/vent and completely off topic, I can understand how it happened if your dog barked alot. Sometimes fustration and annoyence can cloud our good judgement.
I hope the dog is ok, and to everyone reading this thread that owns dogs, set a recorder to record your dogs vocalisation for the day, you may find your pet is very vocal, which can lead neighbour annoyence, or you may find they are a perfect angel:) Other thing is, if a neighbour complains and it is not your dog or they are being vindictive you have the proof.

now im just putting it out there but it is very possible that it had been shot prior to you ever getting it , things can lay dormant in your body alot longer than 6 months ,how it didn't get led poisoning from the pellet though is another thing

also if you never noticed any blood from the wound ,would to me suggest it had been shot prior to you getting it and the wound had healed over and it had only just begun to reach the surface when they got the dog from you

do you know what happened to the dog to need emergency housing had it been mistreated at all or could they just not keep it

a friend of mines mother had small pieces of glass from a car accident Woking their way out of the scar years latter

I worry about this sort of thing happening to my aussie bulldog Blocka, as he is partially deaf and at times constantly barks... We have tried citronella collars, electric collars, everything and nothing works....

Hope the lab is ok!

Yes she was barking,and i listened to her of a night and at times would bring her inside just so that the noise would stop and also as i didnt wish complaints made. I do however work in aged care,my work is 2 blocks away from home. I went outside for an evening smoko break at work and all was peaceful,except i could hear the dog barking,from TWO BLOCKS away!! Made me realise that when i wasnt home,she would keep at it all the time then. I did all that i could while i was home to stop it,but failed.

She has a new home now,is much loved,and has another dog the same breed to play with. She gets a lot more attention than i could give her and more room to run around and play. I do understand how a barking dog can be annoying,the little dog up the road a couple houses belonging to an elderly lady used to yap,and that would set off the golden lab,only her barks were louder and thus heard more.

The tape recorder is a good idea thou. While i am at work i might do that just to see what noise happens while i am not at home as i do have another dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back